marko

Can't enable Surf Protection, File Guard or BB

Hi

I have a 3 licence family pack for EIS and last Sunday one of the machines (running Windows 8.1 fully patched) reported that some EIS components were disabled.

I checked in the EIS gui and the 3 components in the subject title were disabled - only the Firewall was enabled.

I was unable to enable these components either via their individual screns in the gui nor via the Enable All Components option in the tight click menu of the EIS system tray icon.

So, asssuming that it had somehow got corrupted, I uninstalled EIS, rebooted twice, ran Emsiclean, rebooted again, then reinstalled EIS.

All worked fine until today but when I turned the machine on this morning, the same 3 components were disabled again and I was unable to re-enable them.  So I turned the machine off and went out for a while.

I've just turned the machine on again and EIS reports that a new version has been delivered and EIS needs to restart - after EIS restarted (it's now running EIS v11.8.0.6465) the 3 components are still disabled and I can't enable them.

I suppose I could maybe fix it by uninstalling again but I don't want to keep having to do this.

Can you help please ?

Thanks

Marko

Hi Mikolaj

As mentioned in the post it's Windows 8.1 fully patched.

Have tried a reboot and it doesn't help.

Every time I turn the machine on, or reboot, the 3 components are always disabled and I can't turn them back on.

Marko

My mistake, I didn't find that earlier. :)

That should help:

1. Right-click on the Start button.
2. Select Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
3. Type in sc delete epp and then press Enter on your keyboard.
4. Restart your computer by right-clicking on the Start button, going to Shut down or sign out, and selecting Restart.

Mikołaj

Hi Mikolaj

I've done as you suggested and all components are now enabled so this seems to have fixed it :)

Thanks for your helpful and prompt response.

Regards

Marko

• Upvote 1

Marko, when you originally uninstalled EIS, you say you ran Emsiclean.  Did that notice that epp was present?   If so, what happened

when it tried to remove it?  

I'm wondering how you ended up with another(?) instance of epp needing deleted later on.

It's possible that EPP could not be properly unregistered for some reason. In a case like that, running Emsiclean again should show that EPP is still there. When this happens you can actually keep running Emsiclean, removing what it finds, and rebooting until things no longs finds any leftovers (although running it in Safe Mode might be a good idea if it is having trouble removing stuff).