Sign in to follow this  
azrael789

problems with the new version

Hi, I've been having some problems with the new version. Whenever i run firefox, a2service constantly uses 50% CPU, for as long is firefox is open. I've tried excluding firefox.exe but this doesn't help.

Also, more of a problem than an annoyance, whenever I use a fullscreen application, anti-malware sometimes tries to give me an alert, but freezes my computer. I see it on the taskbar but there is a black space where the alert should be and the only option is a hard reset. so far it has happened occasionally with media player classic and almost always with word. This problem has been occuring with the previous version too.

I'm running vista 32bit with online armor (and anvir task manager), no other live protection.

Hi azrael789, welcome to the forum

I never had any problems running FireFox as you described

There were some issues reported previously with Games running full Screen in conjunction with alerts

As I remember H_D was reporting that previously, and I hope he will add some regarding current status

At the same time be more specific about what Applications are you running full screen

... but if you are running some Game - have you tried new "Game mode"?

My regards

Hi Lynx, thank you for your reply.

I found a post of someone with a similar problem (http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/1915-ver-5-0-really-slowed-my-computer/). The problem was said to be an excessive amount of behavior blocker events and a report by debugview was asked. I have done the same, but how can I submit this report. Just mailing it to someone out of the blue seems a bit strange for me.

It has happened with a game before and it is the exact same problem. However, as I haven't played a game since the new version came out, I can't comment on the game mode. But as I said in my previous post, it sometimes happens when I view a video with media player classic (k-lite codec pack) and near as makes no difference always when I use microsoft word. So I disable the guard while I use mpc or office, but that not really a good solution.

... The problem was said to be an excessive amount of behavior blocker events and a report by debugview was asked. I have done the same, but how can I submit this report. Just mailing it to someone out of the blue seems a bit strange for me...
You are welcome.

Thanks for reply, azrael789

1) 1st keep in mind that some advices given by Fabian Wosar there in the thread you referred to were for win 7 x64;

2) As for DebugView you can post the report to [email protected] as Fabian mentioned. so that's not "out of the blue" as you said ;) ;

3) dr_g said that he found the “specific Application”, causing a problem , but unfortunately he didn't return with the answer :unsure: to Fabian's question;

4) As for watching videos and Office troubles - please read the following thread and answer the question in {added} reply #2

... as a matter of fact, in the thread you referred Fabian suggested the similar

...You may want to switch the File Guard to "Scan only programs before they are executed"

for the testing purposes;

5) And another test you may consider - temporarily accept beta updates in Configuration > Update Tab.

You always can return to the stable version by unchecking the option to accept beta updates

My regards

Being a long time gamer you quickly learn to disable all alerts. As I only manually update, restart alerts are expected (and, therefore, I will not be running a game), so no problem there either.

Not tried game mode.

However, as this also happens when running Word (maximised?) and a media player, I'd suggest installing the most recent video drivers.

What are you running - a video card or is your video on-board (integrated)?

I'm not talking about update alerts or something like that. Those have been disabled for a long time. It's the screen you get when a program does something it shouldn't. The ones where you choose block program etc.

It happens when I run Word maximised, yes. But game mode does seem to help. Is game mode as safe as normal mode? I'll give the drivers a go later.

I'm using a geforce 9600m GS 512mb (it's a laptop).

... Is game mode as safe as normal mode? I'll give the drivers a go later.

I'm using a geforce 9600m GS 512mb (it's a laptop).

I believe Game Mode simply suppresses alerts. This stops EAM stealing focus, which means that the full-screen application is not interrupted. However, as Word does not have a full-screen mode, it would remain unaffected even if Game Mode was not enabled.

I'd give the drivers a go sooner rather than later.

The latest stable English language version release for your card can be found here:

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/notebook_winvista_win7_197.16_whql_uk.html

...Word does not have a full-screen mode, it would remain unaffected even if Game Mode was not enabled...

Hi H_D,

Full screen IS available in Word (leaving aside the Game Mode & whether the latter can make any difference re: "Word")

That is working for sure in Office 2007

... You can use View menu & then chose many options from there including manipulating the text size and/or allowing editing... and so on

Unfortunately I don't have Office on win 7 x64 computer & not going to have it but I can test with Portable Open Office / AbiWord...

... Well I hope I'll try just with WordPad :) as soon as that PC is back here

My regards

We changed the behavior of notification popups to not steal focus anymore. The update is currently available using beta updates but is scheduled for stable release later this day.

Would it be possible to configure this via the GUI? Some customers may want to see if an alert has appeared.

Would it be possible to configure this via the GUI? Some customers may want to see if an alert has appeared.

Alerts will still get focus. Only notification popups (Update notifications, news etc.) are displayed without focus.

I never had any problems running FireFox as you described

lynx, your signature shows that you are using a2-4.5-free.. if that is the case, that would explain why you are not having the same problem with anti-malware 5's "a2service" using 50% CPU when firefox is running..

lynx, your signature shows that you are using a2-4.5-free.. if that is the case, that would explain why you are not having the same problem with anti-malware 5's "a2service" using 50% CPU when firefox is running..

Hi redwolfe_98,

No, that is not the case - the signature shows that I'm running the latest EAM - currently 5.0.0.53(beta) on Win7 x64

My regards

p.s. I'm keeping the free version on XP deliberately at this time & its a2service is disabled, since I'm running as admin, but Mamutu's a2service is enabled as it should be.

OK, lynx..

i tried using "anti-malware 5", just now, but i had nothing but problems with it, mostly with my computer's freezing when i would try to open the "security center", "a2start.exe"..

i had one problem, after another, after another, always ending with my computer's freezing, where i would have to "power down" my computer..

i think that incorporating "mamutu" into the "anti-malware" program causes problems.. the program's self-protection might also be a source of problems..

besides the problem with the program's freezing my computer, when i selected to "quarantine" the eicar.com test file, the eicar.com file itself was not deleted.. the quarantined file did not show up in anti-malware's "quarantine", but it was in the quarantine folder..

when i selected for anti-malware to "allow" a program to add a regkey to "startup", instead of its being allowed, it was automatically set to block.. i tried to repeat that, but the second time it worked right..

i just couldn't do anything with the program because it constantly caused my computer to freeze up when trying to open the "security center", "a2start.exe", which was probably caused by "mamutu" or the program's self-protection..

there should be options to disable the self-protection.. i also wish there was an option to not have mamutu included in the program..

Hi redwolfe_98,

1st thanks for reply, and I hope now we do have an understanding that I was referring to full EAM

==============

… but then... - you are well known & respected member of this society

Please do not get me wrong, but

why would you make the post like this within this particular thread?

The issue is different & after the answer given by Fabian Wosar it seems like the problem (the question raised here) was addressed and fixed.

If not – the original poster & other users can contribute & ask other related questions.

Your post & issues (3 / 4 or more :unsure: ) cannot possibly be answered within one thread

Can you please create new separate requests, please regarding the new EAM version?

... Staring with

... providing more detailed information about your System Environment as in Forum Posting Rules #2)

Then briefly: (not really :P )

disable the self-protection

That is not viable idea (my personal opinion), including the fact - that was asked continuously by many users & it was implemented

No problems as I can see & working perfectly, but if you do have specific issues with the feature, which you can describe in details compare to what was posed - please dedicate the separate request & tell the developers what are the issues, by your opinion;

option to not have mamutu included in the program
… Sorry, but the EAM as a package is a mainstream solution for the company as far as I understand … and please – just disable IDS if you are not satisfied - that is as simple as that and/or please explain what you mean & why that action will not “eliminate the Mamutu part of a package”

Find the discussion about “Eicar” since the early beta

http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/1450-a-squared-anti-malware-5-0-beta-discussion/page__fromsearch__1

As far as I remember there were other threads in the new forum

But the main point is - the detection is working perfectly whether it is an just an Execution (run!) test or the newly introduced “onAccess” options.

There were few questions about “partial” file quarantined, but not more than that...

It will be appreciated if you can contribute to that again rather in the separate case as well in case you have new info regarding the matter

Cheers!

well, there is an option for disabling anti-malware 5's self-protection, so i was wrong when i said that there should be an option for that, as if there wasn't one..

i tried reinstalling "anti-malware 5" and i am not having any problems with it now.. i might run into some problems, but i am not seeing any, so far..

i guess the problem with my computer's freezing was due to my not completely uninstalling my antivir antivirus program before installing "anti-malware 5".. i had disabled all of antivir's realtime-protection and its "services", but apparently that wasn't enough.. after having completely uninstalled the antivir program, my computer is not freezing, now, when running "anti-malware 5"..

Thanks for reply, redwolfe_98

Well, give it a go it's really getting more reliable & stable

... and it is just a matter of either completely (properly!!!) uninstalling other security or having some experience in order to test/run "both" ...

... if you noticed I do have Avira still installed as a second on-demand AV - no problems so far

Cheers!

Sorry for the late update, but I'm busy with exams.

As far as I can tell, the new driver solved the problem with Office and Media Player Classic. Thank you H_D!

I tracked down the problem with the high CPU usage to a firefox addon (memory fox). So I put that on whitelist and now everything is running smoothly.

thank you all for your help!