Caravaggio

Security issues with some laptops oems built in software

Hi: I know that you cover often these topics on your blog, but i was wondering about some recents issues with oem software distributed from top brands as Lenovo, Dell, Asus, Acer. There are technology publications this week who are pointing live update utilities , wich came preinstalled in those laptops to update drivers, bios, etc, as insecure and vulnerable.

Yesterday i received an alert from EIS for one of those apps on my laptop, should we consider to get rid of those apps and check instead for new drivers on the manufacturers site?

should we consider to get rid of those apps and check instead for new drivers on the manufacturers site?

This is what I would do. These applications are just bloating your system down, and can be annoying at time, and now they are even a security issue. The best way to proceed is to grab the drivers directly from the computer/laptop manufacturer's website. If you cannot find it, then you go on that hardware's manufacturer website and if you still can't find, you rely on Windows Update for WHQL drivers.

• Upvote 1

Yes Aura, i will do just the same. This update utility doesnt even show you what is installing. Apparently its an update for this utility itself, and other intel stuff etc. I thought it was a wireless driver because i had to boot a couple of times my laptop, wireless connection was shut down after update.