teach1st

Unable to Launch EIS

Hello

This morning I noticed that I cannot launch EIS when I click on the tray icon (task bar).

Can you help me ?

Same problem, Win 10 and 6465. I'm running Malwarebytes and Hitman Pro. I've been running all three for a few years with no problem.

The problem exists even after a reset. Malwarebytes excludes Emsisoft.

Is it just HitmanPro, or is it HitmanPro.Alert?

Lets get a log from FRST, and see if it shows the cause of the issue. Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) from one of the following links, and save it to your Desktop (please note that some web browsers will automatically save all downloads in your Downloads folder, so in those cases please move the download to your desktop):

For 32-bit (x86) editions of Windows:

For 64-bit (x64) editions of Windows:Note: You need to run the version compatible with your computer. If you are not sure which version applies to your computer, then download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your computer, and that will be the right version.
  • Run the FRST download that works on your computer (for Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 please right-click on the file and select Run as administrator).
  • When the tool opens click Yes for the disclaimer in order to continue using FRST.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • When the scan is done, it will save a log as a Text Document named FRST in the same place the tool was run from (if you had saved FRST on your desktop, then the FRST log will be saved there).
  • Please attach the FRST log file to a reply using the More Reply Options button to the lower-right of where you type in your reply to access the attachment controls.
  • The first time the FRST tool is run it saves another log (a Text Document named Addition - also located in the same place as the FRST tool was run from). Please also attach that log file along with the FRST log file to your reply.

It's possible that a reinstall may help with the issue. Before doing that, lets make sure that there are no leftovers. Please download Emsiclean from this link (be sure to save it on your desktop), and follow the instructions below to get me a log:

• Run the Emsiclean download that you saved on your desktop.
  • Read the disclaimer. Note that you must agree to it in order to proceed.
  • Once the scan is finished, simply exit Emsiclean, and do not remove anything.
  • A new file will be saved on your desktop with a log of what was detected. Please attach that to a reply by using the More Reply Options button to the lower-right of where you type in your reply.

I'll do this soon (sorry, busy time of year for me). I can tell  you this: I reinstalled Emsisoft using the normal method and the problem was still active (system tray icon not responding to clicks). Then I uninstalled Hitman Pro and the problem was solved right away...no restart.

That log shows that it is safe to use Emsiclean to remove Emsisoft Internet Security. Please run Emsiclean again, making sure to select everything in the list, and then click the button to remove selected items. Please be sure to allow your computer to be restarted after doing this.

After that you can download and reinstall Emsisoft Internet Security from this link or this link (whichever works better).

I cleaned with Emsiclean as directed and reinstalled. The problem didn't go away. In fact, with Emsisoft installed restarts took up to five minutes and startups took a long time, too. There are no startup problems after I uninstall Emsisoft and my computer is noticeably snappier. I'm not sure what's going on. My similarly configured laptop runs fine with Emsisoft.

Go ahead and run FRST (instructions above) and post the log for me to take a look at. You can also send it to me in a Private Message if you would prefer.

The logs are OK without EIS installed.

I'm not seeing anything at first glance that could cause problems, however I do recommend doing the following (the EPP driver was not unregistered when EIS was uninstalled):

• Right-click on the Start button.
  • Select Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
  • Type in sc delete epp and then press Enter on your keyboard.
  • Restart your computer by right-clicking on the Start button, going to Shut down or sign out, and selecting Restart.
Was Sandboxie installed when EIS was installed? Is it possible that part of EIS (a2service.exe, a2start.exe, or a2guard.exe) was running in a sandbox?

Sandboxie was installed well after any difficulties and after I uninstalled EIS (so I'd have some protection given I can't run EIS). I'll give your suggestion a try and report back. At this point, attempts to reinstall EIS crash, even after using Emsiclean.

It might be that leftover EPP driver that's causing the issue. If you have any trouble deleting it, then let me know.

I deleted EPP as directed, restarted and tried to install EIS. The install hung a few times for a while (most notably at the "FINISH INSTALL" click), but eventually finished. After signatures et al were updated, a quick scan hung. Program update was successful and another quick scan took 3 seconds, The EIS system tray icon was not responding. I restarted again and the restart took eight minutes (until desktop icons appeared). Fifteen minutes into the restart, the EIS system try icon still had not appeared. The A2 service was running. That's the only EIS service I saw. Sandboxie wasn't running. Uninstalled again. I'm at a loss.

Update: Ran EEK and AdwCleaner with no problems.

Did you try enabling the Beta update feed after installing to see if it helped? Here's how to enable the Beta update feed:

• Open Emsisoft Internet Security.
  • Click on Settings in the menu at the top.
  • Click on Updates in the menu at the top.
  • On the left, under Update Settings, click on the box to the right of Update feed and select Beta from the list.
  • Click on the Update now button on the right side.

I ran sfc /scannow, which showed some corruption that couldn't be fixed automatically. Rather than try to repair the corruptions manually, I decided to do a clean reinstall of Windows 10. EIS was among the first apps I reinstalled. It's working well. I'll let you know if any problems reappear. Thanks for all of your help!

The original problem returned after 30 minutes. I hadn't installed anything else. I switched to BETA, updated, and the problem went away. It's been a few hours, and I've done a lot of tweaking and reinstalling. The problem appears solved with the move to BETA.

The original problem (EIS system tray icon doesn't respond to right or left clicks) returned after I installed my printer software - LJ-Pro-200-color-M251-full-solution_15188.exe - which I use daily during the school year or Adobe Air and the Pandora desktop app. The printer software is one of the few differences that I can think of between my main WIndows 10 laptop (which has no problems with EIS) and this desktop. The laptop has Adobe Air and Pandora.

This is a clean Windows 10 install. I'm currently on EIS 11.8.0.6486. Since I'm not the only one reporting this, I'm thinking this is an EIS problem. I've given it way too much time.

Can you send me a fresh FRST log so that I can see if there are any differences between it and the one you sent earlier? I recommend downloading FRST again, since it has more than likely been updated since the last time you ran it.

I noticed you have Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit installed this time. Was that installed before or after you started having the issue? If it was before, was it configured to monitor EIS?

OK. It's just the System Tray icon that's not responding, right? You can still open EIS from the desktop icon?

Yes, EIS still runs and I can open it from normally from file manager or Start. It's just the tray icon that becomes unresponsive. However, with Emsisoft running, Chrome crashes often and startup is slower. The problem manifests even if I don't run Chrome. As far as I can tell, I've disabled anything Chrome from startup. I've tried different task bar positions and configurations, but that doesn't appear to matter.

I had time yesterday to disable other programs and drivers in startup one-by-one in an attempt to see what might be causing this, but couldn't find anything. I still have to test printer software and a few other drivers, but I may not have more time for a week. I have done a Windows disk scan. I'm also going to try Chrome in safe mode and booting into safe mode when I have the time. 

Did the beta update we published the other day have any effect on the issue? If you don't have the Beta update feed turned on, then here's how to do it:

• Open Emsisoft Internet Security.
  • Click on Settings in the menu at the top.
  • Click on Updates in the menu at the top.
  • On the left, under Update Settings, click on the box to the right of Update feed and select Beta from the list.
  • Click on the Update now button on the right side.

OK, then the best course of action right now is to get some debug logs for our developers to go through:

• Open Emsisoft Internet Security from the icon on your desktop.
  • In the 4 little gray boxes at the bottom, move your mouse into the one that says Support, and click anywhere in that gray box.
  • At the bottom, turn on the option that says Enable advanced debug logging.
  • Either click on Overview in the menu at the top, or close the Emsisoft Internet Security window.
  • Reproduce the issue you are having.
  • Once you have reproduced the issue, open Emsisoft Internet Security again, and click on the gray box for Support again.
  • Click on the button that says Send an email.
  • Select the logs in the left that show today's dates.
  • Fill in the e-mail contact form with your name, your e-mail address, and a description of what the logs are for (if possible please leave a link to the topic on the forums that the logs are related to in your message).
  • If you have any screenshots or another file that you need to send with the logs, then you can click the Attach file button at the bottom (only one file can be attached at a time).
  • Click on Send now at the bottom once you are ready to send the logs.
Important: Please be sure to turn debug logging back off after sending us the logs. There are some negative effects to having debug logging turned on, such as reduced performance and wasting hard drive space, and it is not recommended to leave debug logging turned on for a long period of time unless it is necessary to collect debug logs.

Please note that if you have a lot of debugs logs, then you should not send all of them. There is a size limit, and currently there is no error if the message is rejected due to the size being too large. Normally we only need one copy of the 4 or 5 different logs that have been saved after the time you reproduced the issue (the list shows what time each log was saved). Those logs have the following names:

• Security Center
  • Protection Service
  • Real-Time Protection
  • Firewall
  • Logs database (contains the logs you can view in Emsisoft Internet Security by clicking on Logs at the top of the window).

Thanks for all of your help. I've set EIS to debug, but I haven't been able to reproduce the issue. It's been two hours, and I've started and used most of the programs I use in a typical week. I even left MBAE running without a whitelist entry in EIS. The unresponsive tray icon issue has never taken more than 1/2 hour after start or restart to manifest.

I'm on beta updates, and went from 6486 to 6500 before I saw your post. It's early, but that upgrade may have resolved the issue. If the issue does manifest, I'll send the debug log as directed. At any rate, I'll be back this evening (EDT) with an update.

After four hours, I turned debug off. Within a minute after turning off debug, the tray icon became unresponsive. I was doing nothing else with the computer, although quite a few programs were running. I've turned debug back on. After a restart, the tray icon is working. Toggling debug after the restart didn't replicate the issue. I'll keep debug on.

Update: Problem replicated, debug log sent.

I've received the debug logs, but the only attachment was logs for a2start.exe. Were there logs for a2guard.exe as well? That's the program that draws the System Tray icon, and it'll probably be what we need logs for.

Thanks, Arthur. I have some time off and I spent yesterday looking at my Windows logs and tweaking registry entries and services related to what looked like a botched Windows install. I haven't seen the issue for 20 hours now, and Windows and the original problem has not reappeared. I'm back to fast startups and restarts. I wish I could say exactly what the problem was, but it appeared to be a few processes interacting poorly, along with a .NET Framework corruption. I'm still unsure how a Windows clean install didn't help. I probably should have created install media.

I went back to stable updates and the only difficulty with Emsisoft (6486) is that the minimize button doesn't work. I turned the debug logging back on. In the "sent a message to customer service" area, I have logs for security center, firewall, real-time protection, and protection service. Nothing about a2guard. I'm not sure which one to send.  

Have you run a diagnostic on your hard drive? Something like this may be useful for quickly determining if there is an issue (although it isn't a full diagnostic).

I used the Dell diagnostics suite (ePSA, accessible through bios) the other day. No problems with any hardware, including drives. Chkdsk checked out fine, too. I also took the time to update all of my drivers.

EDIT: I just ran CrystalDiskInfo: Health Status Good

OK, if we can get some debug logs for a2guard.exe then our developers should be able to look into the issue.