Emsisoft and Online Games + Crash

Tician

Hi there,

I am using Emsisoft Anti-Malware nearly since a year and I am planning on keeping it because I like the good work you guys did with it.

So far there are two things that bother me a bit, I am not sure if you can do something about it, but I feel like I should at least mention it.

First of all a recent issue I had (today): I started my PC and it showed me that Emsisoft made an Update, but it wasn't the green Emsi-Icon I am used to I had the yellow/orange one with the exclamation mark in it. Also my Windows told me to activate my Security Software - and believe me I tried - it didn't work. I noticed I couldn't start anything. No Internet-Browser, no exe-file and when I wanted to restart rhe PC it didn't even let me click on the "shutdown"-button in the windows-menu. I tried opening a command as administrator but not even that was working and my whole PC just hang up, I was able to move the mouse but well... that's it. After making a cold restart everything was fine again and Emsi told me again that it made an update. I am pretty sure I have no malicious software on my PC so I wonder if it was just my Windows fu****** up the start or if it was the update of Emsisoft? In the log of the updates it just shows me one update for today.

So the second thing is about me liking to play Online Games. There is a nice meme-picture that says "I hope that one day my mom will finally understand that Online Games can't be paused". Emsisoft doesn't know that :P

I can understand and eppreciate it that a file is paused (or however you do this) when I try to execute it and Emsi pops up and asks me about user-settings (You know, the window where you can either block something or let the program run once/always) and after I made the setting it unpauses the program and normally it runs then - or asks 3 times about different files. That is really fine when it happens after I update a game and want to start it - but not in the middle of the game. I noticed that in Warcraft III, DotA and Dragon's Prophet. As I said you can't pause Online Games because you play it with other people so the games are just crashing which is very inconvenient. I don't know why it happens in the middle of the games because 98% of the time it asks me before I completely start the game. Is there a way to prevent that?

I know that I just said I have 2 things to mention but here is a third very small one about a false positive detection:

The application is called "Discord" and is a chat/voice chat application especially for gamer. It has an own function of uploading files but the links to the files (which you can open in the browser) are automatically blocked at first, I had to manually unblock it in the surf-protection tab.

The host name is "cdn.discordapp.com", one of the detected files/links looks like this:

29.05.2016 01:33:35    2512    C:\Users\Tician\AppData\Local\Discord\app-0.0.290\Discord.exe    Von Regel geblockt    cdn.discordapp.com

Else than that I am really happy with Emsisoft, keep up the good work (and ignore my mistakes, english is not my mother language :) )!

Tician

I am pretty sure I have no malicious software on my PC so I wonder if it was just my Windows fu****** up the start or if it was the update of Emsisoft?

It was probably a temporary problem with our Emsisoft Protection Platform driver. As long as protection is on now, then everything should be fine.

So the second thing is about me liking to play Online Games. There is a nice meme-picture that says "I hope that one day my mom will finally understand that Online Games can't be paused". Emsisoft doesn't know that :P

I can understand and eppreciate it that a file is paused (or however you do this) when I try to execute it and Emsi pops up and asks me about user-settings (You know, the window where you can either block something or let the program run once/always) and after I made the setting it unpauses the program and normally it runs then - or asks 3 times about different files. That is really fine when it happens after I update a game and want to start it - but not in the middle of the game. I noticed that in Warcraft III, DotA and Dragon's Prophet. As I said you can't pause Online Games because you play it with other people so the games are just crashing which is very inconvenient. I don't know why it happens in the middle of the games because 98% of the time it asks me before I completely start the game. Is there a way to prevent that?

Do you play the games in fullscreen mode or windowed mode? In fullscreen mode Emsisoft Anti-Malware is supposed to automatically enter Game Mode (as of version 11.8 at least) when a fullscreen application is running. If you run the games in windowed mode, then you would need to enable Game Mode manually by right-clicking on the Emsisoft Anti-Malware icon in the System Tray and going to Protection status.

Also note that if the games have a borderless windowed (or "fullscreen windowed", or some variation of that sort of name) mode then they will usually handle alt-tabbing or other applications stealing focus much easier than if they are in normal fullscreen mode, and this may also prevent the crashing you are experiencing.

The application is called "Discord" and is a chat/voice chat application especially for gamer. It has an own function of uploading files but the links to the files (which you can open in the browser) are automatically blocked at first, I had to manually unblock it in the surf-protection tab.

The host name is "cdn.discordapp.com"...

I checked on cdn.discordapp.com, and there are a lot of malicious files that have been hosted on it in the past, which is probably why it was blocked. Since it's a file sharing service, it's hard to blame them for it (unless they are refusing to take action when receiving abuse reports), so I'll forward this to our malware analysts and see if they consider it a false positive.

• 9 months later...

All you have to do is edit the Application Rule and select the option not to notify you when the file changes.

1. Open Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
  2. Click on Protection.
  3. Find the program in question in the list, and double-click on it.
  4. Select the option in the lower-left that says Don't alert when this file changes.
  5. Click OK to save the changes.

Also note that if you want the game to be completely ignored by protection, you can add an exclusion for the game's folder by doing the following:

1. Open Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
  2. Click on Settings in the menu at the top.
  3. Click on Exclusions in the menu at the top.
  4. To the right of the list to Exclude from scanning, click on the Add folder button.
  5. Navigate to the folder you would like to exclude, click on it once to select it, and then click OK.
  6. To the right of the list to Exclude from monitoring, click on the Add folder button.
  7. Navigate to the folder you would like to exclude, click on it once to select it, and then click OK.
  8. Close Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

If you have Steam installed, you can even exclude the entire Steam folders and everything in them. These are the two folders that would need to be excluded for Steam on a 64-bit edition of Windows:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Steam
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam