One or more files have incorrect file versions.

This morning when I use the systray icon to open "Security Status" EAM5 popups up the dialog:

One or more files have incorrect file versions. Do you want to update the program now?

Then offers YES or NO... I select YES then it opens the update process... says downloading updates... then says "Currently, Anti-Malware is fully up-to-date for optimal performance"

Anyone else seeing this? or just me? :D

Me too. :D I was getting the "a major problem occurred...please reboot pc" message after most module updates for the last week or so...looks like this if ya haven't seen it.

th_No-Restart.jpg,

I'm tentatively thinking that issue has been fixed, but now (if you read the thread) http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/2013-anti-malware-auto-restart-problem/ (last post), the message I'm now getting is the invalid file version message. It also started yesterday and there were quite a few module updates yesterday.

th_Incorrectfileversions.jpg

Just out of curiosity, do you guys have beta updates turned on? I do, so I'm thinking of turning them off fer a bit. Also; when I selected 'YES' the first time I saw this new message yesterday, EAM tried to download updates and got nothing (same as Justme described). This morning when I saw the message I selected 'YES' and it proceeded to start a deep scan? :blink: weird.

Cheers & Good Luck

XonE32

Good morning Guys,

This issue was previously discussed in several places and that's good (form some point of view) to have one thread as dedicated to this particular problem.

I have beta checked & I did try the stable in the past. The message sometime is still displayed, but as it was described in the reply #14-1) it's happening here only during the 1st auto-update after rebooting.

Can you please confirm or dismiss that and respectively checking subsequent auto & manual updates including the versions.

My regards

Just out of curiosity, do you guys have beta updates turned on?

no.

configuration : Update has no tick in the "Install beta updates"

The licence selected has never had beta turned on if anything is done server side.

This issue was previously discussed in several places and that's good (form some point of view) to have one thread as dedicated to this particular problem.

in fairness i did search for "One or more files have incorrect file versions" and got no hits with that error in it... in hind site i realize that the images might have been posted instead of the text of the error so search couldn't pick it up.

it's happening here only during the 1st auto-update after rebooting.

Can you please confirm or dismiss that and respectively checking subsequent auto & manual updates including the versions.

i'll test that and report back.

1st auto-update after each reboot?

No ... that is the thing - not every and each auto-update after Reboot but if I have it sometimes - that would be the case.

and as I said recently I'm not having the problem - see below

If I will find that out again - I will report that

======= Here is an excerpt from Exported Update Log that I modified

Unfortunately I cannot attach any file here in the forum any more.

So the latest updates where the modules were involved are shown in red including the update to .53 (compare the time in the referred thread and the image)

Most importantly - there message we are discussing here was not seen during all those updates

Cheers!

==============

Emsisoft Anti-Malware - Version 5.0

update log

Start Date End Date Result Type

5/29/2010 10:10:14 AM 5/29/2010 10:10:59 AM Update successful Auto-Update *** This morning update (signatures only)

5/28/2010 10:50:37 PM 5/28/2010 10:50:44 PM no modules for downloading Manual update

5/28/2010 10:21:43 PM 5/28/2010 10:21:57 PM Update successful Auto-Update *** a2cmd.exe (354024 bytes) - updated

5/28/2010 9:51:36 PM 5/28/2010 9:51:42 PM no modules for downloading Auto-Update

5/28/2010 9:21:20 PM 5/28/2010 9:21:34 PM Update successful Auto-Update

5/28/2010 7:39:36 PM 5/28/2010 7:40:06 PM Update successful Auto-Update

5/28/2010 7:09:29 PM 5/28/2010 7:09:35 PM no modules for downloading Auto-Update

5/28/2010 6:38:38 PM 5/28/2010 6:39:28 PM Update successful Auto-Update

5/28/2010 6:08:05 PM 5/28/2010 6:08:37 PM Update successful Auto-Update *** a2hosts.dat (718476 bytes) - updated

5/28/2010 5:37:58 PM 5/28/2010 5:38:04 PM no modules for downloading Auto-Update

5/28/2010 5:07:33 PM 5/28/2010 5:07:57 PM Update successful Auto-Update *** a2cmd.exe (354022 bytes) - updated

a2wl.dat (222220 bytes) - updated

5/28/2010 3:37:52 PM 5/28/2010 3:37:59 PM no modules for downloading Auto-Update

5/28/2010 3:07:24 PM 5/28/2010 3:07:51 PM Update successful Auto-Update

5/28/2010 2:37:15 PM 5/28/2010 2:37:23 PM no modules for downloading Auto-Update

5/28/2010 1:27:15 PM 5/28/2010 1:27:24 PM no modules for downloading Auto-Update

5/28/2010 1:25:45 PM 5/28/2010 1:25:52 PM no modules for downloading Auto-Update

5/28/2010 12:55:37 PM 5/28/2010 12:55:44 PM no modules for downloading Auto-Update

5/28/2010 12:25:29 PM 5/28/2010 12:25:36 PM no modules for downloading Manual update

5/28/2010 12:19:37 PM 5/28/2010 12:20:23 PM Update successful Auto-Update

5/28/2010 12:57:14 AM 5/28/2010 12:57:20 AM no modules for downloading Auto-Update

5/28/2010 12:27:14 AM 5/28/2010 12:27:21 AM no modules for downloading Auto-Update

5/28/2010 12:17:42 AM 5/28/2010 12:17:49 AM no modules for downloading Auto-Update

5/27/2010 11:27:14 PM 5/27/2010 11:27:20 PM no modules for downloading Auto-Update

5/27/2010 11:19:30 PM 5/27/2010 11:19:40 PM no modules for downloading Manual update

5/27/2010 11:18:03 PM 5/27/2010 11:18:47 PM Update successful Auto-Update

5/27/2010 9:27:14 PM 5/27/2010 9:27:20 PM no modules for downloading Auto-Update

5/27/2010 9:23:59 PM 5/27/2010 9:24:05 PM no modules for downloading Auto-Update

5/27/2010 9:21:48 PM 5/27/2010 9:23:22 PM Update successful Auto-Update *** Signatures\T3sigs.vdb (345960 bytes) - updated

a2guard.exe (1439778 bytes) - updated

a2start.exe (2117130 bytes) – updated --- v.53

a2wizard.exe (1655233 bytes) - updated

5/27/2010 6:27:22 PM 5/27/2010 6:27:29 PM no modules for downloading Auto-Update

5/27/2010 5:57:14 PM 5/27/2010 5:57:21 PM no modules for downloading Auto-Update

well i can't reproduce it today... i have tried letting it auto update after a reboot... i have tried manual update... it just wont do it anymore.

currently sitting at 5.0.0.53 here

will post next time i see it happen and will check logs at that time.

I've been checking the beta changelogs every day looking for module updates, but there haven't been any. This behavior (incorrect file versions msg) only appears after a module update. Auto and manual signature updates work fine (i.e. after update no "incorrect file version" msg)

Hopefully I will see one (module update) in the change log soon and do a manual update if I catch it or auto update if it appears in the middle of the night as that's when I have my auto-update scheduled. At that point I should be able to confirm if the issue has been resolved. And hopefully I don't get the auto-restart problem again. ;)

Cheers

XonE32

EDIT: Clarification

Just to clarify; I realize even the sig updates are often called module updates, for instance the latest:

2 modules, 705932 bytes

Signatures\T3sigs.vdb (641132 bytes) - updated

Signatures\20100531.sig (64800 bytes) - updated

but these don't cause the error msg's mentioned above (at least for me).

When I use the term module I'm referring to the updates for EAM's .exe files. The problem msg's appear when one or more of these gets updated:

a2start.exe

a2cmd.exe

a2wizard.exe

a2guard.exe

a2service.exe

a2scan.exe

Edited by XonE32

Hi XonE32, thanks for reply.

Yes, by modules I meant "Executables" :)

And that's what the message says.

I haven't seen the message for a while, but today there was one.

The only difference - today I checked the EAM status (from Notification Area) straight after reboot before the 1st auto-update took place.

So, I am still under impression that it happens only after reboot (1st "auto-" or like in case just described)

The manual update after that brought just Signatures updates and there are no message about versions discrepancies any more)

Cheers!

I did get the error again Monday Morning at 4:16am CentralUStime...

I can say for sure the machine was offline at this time (had the lan disabled for testing another application)... it is possible that I requested an update out of habit... but I don't really remember requesting the failed manual update...(it was early heh)

So perhaps the lan being offline is related?

Hi JustMe,

"CentralUStime" or whatever time ... whatever reason "the machine was offline" yes it shows the "Connection Error" but there is no connection error as it was pointed many times already.

As soon as you see that message no matter whether you say "Yes or No"

... just hit the Manual Update immediately - you will get the update

It does not matter in this context whether there is nothing to update or some updates will be delivered ... the connection is fine! ... and you will not see that message within the whole working session

That is most likely the bug in the updater, which is for some reason cannot properly check that modules are "up-to-date" when the computer comes alive ( in most cases after the reboot)

Cheers!

Edited by Lynx
mistyping fixed

I suddenly got this "One or more files has incorrect file versions. Do you want to update the program now?" message last night. Did a manual update and also there was an auto-update but the message still appeared today!

Anything we can do to try and help resolve the situation?

One other thing i just noticed which i haven`t seen before (or maybe i`m just dumb :blink: ) was in the Configuration/License section there is now a Freeware license entry (today`s date) which if highlighted turns off the File Guard protection. My only concern would be if someone where to have windows Security/Action centre disabled then they wouldn`t know full protection wasn`t on.

Allthough the chances of this are very very slim.... :rolleyes:

Cheers all...

One other thing i just noticed which i haven`t seen before (or maybe i`m just dumb :blink: ) was in the Configuration/License section there is now a Freeware license entry (today`s date) which if highlighted turns off the File Guard protection.

that's normal that is the new way they will distribute the free version... will just be eam5 with the free license selected.

Hi Mattchu,

The message you are referring to is what we are discussing here

That would be fixed I'm sure. Just please confirm whether you can see it after reboot only or not

As for other issues please try to stay OnTopic & create new dedicated thread(s)/requests & provide more info

For example - you will find a lot of discussions about Windows Security Centre (WSC) in here & in our old forum.

You should not worry about that at all - that is a spare service - it can be disabled as it is disabled here always.

You are still protected

But if you do care about it, please supply info about any other security installed or uninstalled, because even leftovers of previously & not properly uninstalled security can create problems in this area.

Then, if the license expired that is one thing, but if & when you just disabled the Guard temporarily - that should not leave you with just free license. Therefore, again please - raise that issue in the new thread & provide detailed info regarding the matter

My regards

Hello I have Windows 7 Professional x64 and installed new version Emsisoft Anti-Malware 5.0.0.53 but always show when starting Secure Status "One or more files have incorrect file versions" with yes or No options but I restart windows and then again starting this error but I reinstall ( uninstall ) program but this again show error. This is bored always when start and for Scan system.

Hi Gideon Sword,

Thanks for adding info here... but as it was discussed here:

1) The message does not appear all the time after system reboot (I haven't seen it for many days already);

...always show when starting Secure Status
Can you please confirm "always" ? (that definitely does not occur "always" here except after system reboot & then checking the Status )

2) The message is asking about updating the program – restarting Windows is not required;

3) If you update manually and or wait for the next auto-update all correct versions are in place (check the modules / signatures as suggested after seeing “...fully up-to-date...");

4) The only new information compare to what was reported was that the message can be displayed when you hit “... Scan system”

Honestly, I never saw that and I tried all types of scan including using ShellExtension scan of a folder straight after the system reboot;

5) Do you have “connection error” line logged in Updates after the system reboot and when the said message is displayed?

Finally, the way I can see it and that was reported by some users & tested here the re-installation of EAM will not fix this particular glitch. The Software is working fine. Yes, that will be fixed, but you can spare unneeded (in this particular case) reinstalls

My regards

For "always" I wanted to say when I open it Security Status or when scan files or disk then showing first error and I clicking to Yes make update then working ok but with restart error is still here

Setting is back auto update on 1 hour (my is setting 7 hours) and will be see next whether will be fixed this error with auto update and post here info if it's ok

One or more files has corrupted after update , please restart and update again .

No error conection,

AS-AM 5.0.0.53 PL

Now:

Start upadte: 2010-06-05 20:48:31

End upadte: 2010-06-05 20:50:28

Time : 0:01:57

Update completed successfully

Details:

5 Modules / s, 1084871 Bytes / s

Signatures \ T3sigs.vdb (661,083 Bytes / s) - Updated

Signatures \ 20100603.sig (93,234 Bytes / s) - Updated

a2wl.dat (223,760 Bytes / s) - Updated

a2trust.dat (26,143 Bytes / s) - Updated

Signatures \ 20100604.sig (80,651 Bytes / s) - Updated

Earlier window with errors on the screens above .

How to fix this quickly and permanently

Why is not translated into my language

beztytuuckp.th.jpg

Hey Lynx, how goes it.

guess there were some .exe module updates last night (18hrs ago)

(I have my EAM set to update at 03h00 and scan at 03h30).

Checked the pc this morning and the "incorrect file versions" msg was on desktop.

I hit "yes" and it started to Deepscan (which was weird).

I stopped the scan and rebooted.

When it got back to desktop EAM had the "major problem occurred..." msg, although I think the text has been altered slightly.

Rebooted again and everything seems ok.

More of an annoyance really, but it is still happening for .exe updates so just an FYI.

Here's the update that caused it.

General Information:

Start Update: 6/9/2010 3:00:02 AM

End Update: 6/9/2010 3:01:08 AM

Elapsed Time: 0:01:06

Update successful

Detail Information:

6 modules, 5023329 bytes

Signatures\T3sigs.vdb (355705 bytes) - updated

Signatures\20100608.sig (120757 bytes) - updated

Languages\nl-nl.lng (46237 bytes) - updated

a2guard.exe (1440624 bytes) - updated

a2service.exe (943219 bytes) - updated

a2start.exe (2116787 bytes) - updated

According to file properties:

a2guard is currently 5.0.0.43

a2service is currently 5.0.0.41

a2start.exe is currently 5.0.0.55

Can you confirm those are all correct?, I assume they are.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

XonE32

Oh oh, Just tried a manual update 2 minutes ago and got the connection error msg. First time that's happened.

Edited by XonE32

Oh oh, Just tried a manual update 2 minutes ago and got the connection error msg. First time that's happened.

Ah crap. This is more serious.

Manual or auto update no longer works, keep getting connection error.

I just did a cold boot and had the same result "connection error".

These .exe updates are killing my EAM lol.

Hi XonE32,

Unfortunately it is not easy as I always annoyingly repeating to manage the issue when it's spread or requests are mixed within one given thread

Please have a look at my last reply #26 here and the respective question

I did not have this “versions” message any more since disabling “onAccess”

The update that you mentioned was tested (looked at in the Logs) as soon as I got win 7 x64 computer back. It went fine.

The latest update to 0.55 beta went fine as well

But currently I deliberately set “onAccess” back in order to test “the suspect”

It was just several hours ago. No ill effects yet, but that is not enough time yet spent with the system... only 2 reboots successful Reboots (not many for “statistical” purposes :) )

I will report back if anything related , but for now it- Ok here

Cheers!

Thanks guys for replying and sorry to clutter this thread with the "Connection error" problem.

I only mentioned it as it "seems" to be related to the scheduled update I mentioned earlier from last night.

I still don't know what/where the problem lies, BUT.. I did just turn off Online Armor (it reverts to WindowsXP firewall) and did a manual update while OA was OFF and the EAM manual update completed successfully.

I don't know what the problem is as I have an exclusion in OA for the entire EAM folder.

Nevertheless, I will try to figure it out so you can keep this thread to the error msgs that are being reported after certain module updates. ;)

Cheers!

XonE32

Thanks guys for replying and sorry to clutter this thread with the "Connection error" problem.

Not funny :) , but the question about the "Connection error" in conjunction with "versions" was asked as well.. sorry I forgot in which thread ... I am under the influence of anti-flu drugs currently

...I only mentioned it as it "seems" to be related to the scheduled update I mentioned earlier from last night.

It seems to me the issue does not relate to "scheduled update"(s) and it is indeed True!

I still don't know what/where the problem lies, BUT.. I did just turn off Online Armor (it reverts to WindowsXP firewall) and did a manual update while OA was OFF and the EAM manual update completed successfully.

I don't know what the problem is as I have an exclusion in OA for the entire EAM folder.

No, it is guarantied & tested that no matter what firewall you use that is not related to the firewall - (sure you would not rather use MS one...hmmm)

As I pointed earlier - the immediate Manual Update will show that "all is up to date"

Cheers man!

I continue to get this off and on after a reboot... doesn't seem to matter if my lan/internet connection is available. I have lost my notecard of times it happens or I would post my log's... I will start a new notecard :D

Hi JustMe,

Can you and anybody else eventually answer the question about the File guard settings" in place?

What is this "notecard" Can you please be more specific?

Are you using stable or beta (0.55)?

As I pointed above - I don't have "versions currently"

Cheers!

Not funny :) , but the question about the "Connection error" in conjunction with "versions" was asked as well.. sorry I forgot in which thread ... I am under the influence of anti-flu drugs currently

It seems to me the issue does not relate to "scheduled update"(s) and it is indeed True!

No, it is guarantied & tested that no matter what firewall you use that is not related to the firewall - (sure you would not rather use MS one...hmmm)

As I pointed earlier - the immediate Manual Update will show that "all is up to date"

Cheers man!

First off Lynx, FEEL BETTER!

Secondly: I took a closer look at Online Armor. I don't know how or why or when; but OA (Online Armor) made a rule under programs for A2service.exe to BLOCK UDP output on port 53. It was never there before (i.e. manual updates worked fine yesterday) and as I said above, I have an exclusion for all of EAM. BUT once I unblocked that rule..., I tried an EAM manual update and it worked perfectly.

RESULT: 'Connection Error' problem solved (for now lol)

Can you and anybody else eventually answer the question about the File guard settings" in place?

I read the other posts Lynx, but I am unsure as to what question you want answered regarding EAM's file guard.

Cheers!

XonE32

Thanks XonE32 , I'll try to feel better

That is strange that previously you had no problems with port 53 but now with the new version of OA it was silently blocked (if igit you right).

That shouldn't have happened – that is a question for OA developers.

Usually you should have an Alerts from Firewall and Allow that, since DNS function on your computer communicates with the server(s) using UDP port 53

DNS servers listen on port 53 for queries from DNS clients even if your DNS Client Service is disabled, which is fine thing to do

That's well done that you figured that out :)

At the same time “connection error” in the EAM's Log after Rebooting and having “versions”-message were not related to any blocking of UDP port 53 here at all...

So, that was definitely different “Connection error” you were having

==============

As for the File Guard question:

Previously EAM had “OnExecution” scanning only.

Starting from v5 there are two new options regarding “onAccess” scanning – that what I was asking about

see radio-buttons under “scan only programs...” as in 7.4

Cheers!

As for the File Guard question:

Previously EAM had “OnExecution” scanning only.

Starting from v5 there are two new options regarding “onAccess” scanning – that what I was asking about

Oh I see.

I had mine set to the middle-(default?) position of "Additionally scan all files when they are created or modified" but for the last coupl of weeks I've had it set to "scan only programs before they are executed".

Cheers!

XonE32

sorry... I keep file guard at 'scan only programs before they are executed' in the 'Guard: File Guard' section.

What is this "notecard" Can you please be more specific?

I was tracking the times when I would get the error on a 3x5 notecard I had laying next to my keyboard... so I could later go back and look at the logs and see if there was anything related... it's just a notecard nothing special.

Are you using stable or beta (0.55)?

As I pointed above - I don't have "versions currently"

This machine has just the release version. It is currently showing: 5.0.0.53

• 2 weeks later...

not sure if this is related but saw this in my event viewer (posted in the post about hosts rules flipping as well)

Code Integrity determined that the page hashes of an image file are not valid. The file could be improperly signed without page hashes or corrupt due to unauthorized modification. The invalid hashes could indicate a potential disk device error.

File Name: \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Program Files (x86)\Emsisoft Anti-Malware\a2hooks64.dll

not sure if this is related but saw this in my event viewer ...

...File Name: \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Program Files (x86)\Emsisoft Anti-Malware\a2hooks64.dll

JustMe,

I reported that message in the Event Viewer to the developers way/way back ago at the very early stages of the new version

I'm not sure if that is related to this particular problem, but thanks for confirming

I will check the events again as soon as the win 7 PC is here

I'm sure the developers will shed some light on this

My regards