scottls

How to schedule a manual update?

I would like to schedule a manual update on startup?-

I like to start the day fully protected, and not wait until the last update hour rolls around for an auto-update (there are usually several hundred new signatures on 1st update, accumulated from the day before!)!-

The industry +benchmark is within 4min of startup, but A2 usually falls way long on that!

I can't find an a2 update.exe... to schedule, that kicks off an update?

Q?-What A2 file... kicks off an update, or...?

Hi Scottls,

You don't need to Schedule "manual update" using Windows Task Scheduler if that's what you mean

You can just press the respective button for manual update whenever you want

The availability of update has to be checked at (win) Startup

Can you please tell us and the developers what kind of discrepancies you've noticed regarding the time/intervals set in your Auto-update options if you compare changelog here

http://www.emsisoft.com/a2/changelog/personal/

and

the update events entries in you Update Log?

The differential updates of Ikarus signature are delivered quite often

(more frequently than a2 native ones... but that is just a side note)

My regards

This is a feature that I have noticed is missing. The option to update on startup would be a useful addition to the update configuration options. Even better would be the option to delay it for up to 5mins allowing those with 'slow' computers time for their machines to get everything loaded before the update begins.

If it does happen at startup it is not obvious that this is occuring. If not, then this could go on a wish list.

I always manually update the program as soon as I log on.

Hi Guys,

Currently after Reboot the update will happen on a next scheduled interval (min is 30 min)

The Update on Reboot will be changed as developers said ...

and they always are keeping their words :)

It will happen 30 seconds after Reboot (in case connection is not ready yet straight away)

As for other options as H_D mentioned:

delays or there can be other common ones like "if missed..."; "update on next restart if not complete" ... and so on - those definitely can be requested and go to the Wish List

Cheers!

The auto-updates on-startup were VERY FAST today (30sec!) , on both my computers! :D

I see that A2 upgraded me to a new release 3.5.0.27! I would guess that this did the trick! :rolleyes:

I'm now a HAPPY CAMPER with auto-updates, and I can't believe how much poop web guard blocks/rule...!

Scott :)

Hi Scott,

The new release 4.5.0.27 was issued 07 October 2009.

(that would be big step back if that was reverted to 3.5.0.27 ;) )

Are you saying that the auto-update on reboot we were talking about already working?

I am just curious because I don't see any revision of modules in change log yet.

(I can be wrong... it's too early in the morning for me :) )

My regards

Hi Scott,

The new release 4.5.0.27 was issued 07 October 2009.

(that would be big step back if that was reverted to 3.5.0.27 ;) )

Are you saying that the auto-update on reboot we were talking about already working?

I am just curious because I don't see any revision of modules in change log yet.

(I can be wrong... it's too early in the morning for me :) )

My regards

OOPS!- XP SP3, 4.5.0.27 :o

Re: Are you saying that the auto-update on reboot we were talking about already working?

- Auto-update was working 1hr after last-update, but NOT immediately on 1st cold startup!

STRANGE! It's baaack!- No auto-update on 1st cold startup today (both XP SP3 computers, and no pgm... changes)? Last update was at 23:57 yesterday, for both. :blink:

After startup"s", I made NO changes-

On 3d slow restart- A2 made an auto-update, 1min after startup.

I hope your Dev's make a module... to fix this auto-update problem!?

- If there is a beta that Dev's would like me to try, or a different setting...?

Please let me know?

G'day

Scott

Hi Scott,

That is why I was surprised.

The promised changes as in my reply above are planed and hopefully will be implemented soon.

Currently, minimum interval is 30min, that you can set.

As for the betas and new settings, which you are willing to test, please keep an eye on this page http://changeblog.emsisoft.com/ and sure all beta/stable news are posted into this forum by developers.

As soon as you see the respective notification, you can switch to beta and test.

My regards

{Whole quotation removed} Lynx

Tnx!- I subscribed for email alerts on the changelog forum!

Q?- Where is the new A2 Beta forum? You had one in the old forum, but I can't find it now? :unsure:

G'day

The auto update default behavior was changed in the last stable build some days ago.

Now it waits only 30 seconds after program startup to search for updates, if the last regular auto-update interval was missed.

The auto update default behavior was changed in the last stable build some days ago.

Now it waits only 30 seconds after program startup to search for updates, if the last regular auto-update interval was missed.

There seems to be a bug for me in this 4.5.0.27 update, as I have only gotten the 30sec startup update once since upgrade (2 computers).

Q?- Is this 30sec update on startup working for anybody else?

I last clean re-installed 4.5.0.17 on 10/6, and BOTH installations crashed with warning msgs! I submitted bug rpts, but no reply from A2 support?

Maybe I need to try a clean reinstall 4.5.0.27 from a fresh download?

Update!- I just took another look in my email inbox, and A2 support suggested I try a clean install with the latest downloaded version!

G'day

Scott :o?

It's working good now!-

I did a 4.5.0.27 clean install, on a fresh download (Still a SLOW DOWNLOAD, only 56Kbps!- I can see why lot of prospective A2 users would cancel a dial-up speed download!) trusted reg cleaners/defrag/chkdsk...

Don't know that this made any difference, but I'm sticking to it!?-

This time-

didn't delete A2 folder from Program files

didn't make ANY settings changes until 4min "after" 1st restart

OA in Learning Mode the whole time (I'm a long time OA beta tester)-

OA Learning Mode is kinda like a Super Install Mode, in that it automatically allows "Everything" the install/restart... wants to do. After a couple of restarts, and letting A2 do it's auto-updates (no surfing/OE6 email, except in sbie)-

I left Learning Mode, as OA LM will allow ANY malware to install, and bypass the firewall/HIPS protection from then on!

Tnx for all the help!

Scott :D

Hi Scott,

That's nice to hear that clean install of the latest A-M worked meeting your expectations regarding “new auto-update style”.

As for canceling “big downloads” on slow connections please don't overdo that.

There are special circumstances, which were discussed & described few times in the old forum, when the said “technique” may help.

Other than that, if the delivery of a whole Ikarus Signatures file is needed - it means it's necessary.

My regards

P.S. (OffTopic)

The statement that the Learning mode (LM) of OA Firewall “will allow ANY malware to install” is incorrect. It will not.

At the same time neither Installation mode nor LM should not be left for a long time as a main working mode. I hope you will get more info how and when different modes should be used.

In addition the creation of the rules of Firewall and HIPS are not bypassed.

First they are separated secondly on the contrary LM is intended for creating some rules automatically and still monitor unexpected and suspicious events.

Hi Scott,

P.S. (OffTopic)

The statement that the Learning mode (LM) of OA Firewall “will allow ANY malware to install” is incorrect. It will not.

At the same time neither Installation mode nor LM should not be left for a long time as a main working mode. I hope you will get more info how and when different modes should be used.

In addition the creation of the rules of Firewall and HIPS are not bypassed.

First they are separated secondly on the contrary LM is intended for creating some rules automatically and still monitor unexpected and suspicious events.

Hi Lynx:

Auto-updates on first startup (& auto-updates on restarts after!), are back to being disabled! :o

I guess I'll just live with remembering to do a manual update to kick updates off, until they come with a beta... that addresses this serious issue! :angry:

Re: (OffTopic)

All protection is NOT active in LM (see link below!)!

I even posted a Thread on this concern on my OA beta forum, and it was confirmed in detail by Mike Nash (head of OA!)!

When you leave LM, it is VERY important to check Programs, and see what programs... have automatically been allowed!

Then somewhat like possible A2... FP's!?- I first Google/VirusTotal... anything I'm not sure of, BEFORE I Trust/Block... it!

"I hope you will get more info how and when different modes should be used." ;)

From OA Help!- http://www.tallemu.com/webhelp3/what_is_learning_mode.htm

G'day

Scott

...Auto-updates on first startup (& auto-updates on restarts after!), are back to being disabled! :o I guess I'll just live with remembering to do a manual update to kick updates off, until they come with a beta... that addresses this serious issue! :angry:

Hi Scott,

If so, please raise a Support Ticket.

That was discussed with developers and it should work now.

They may ask for additional info.

I hope that H_D will respond and tell us how the said new feature is functioning on his PC

My regards

P.S. As for Learning Mode of OA, we have to leave this topic OffTopic. Yes, auto-rules to reduce pop-ups, as I said, but I am sure I was reading different, when their HIPS or Behavioral Blocker was introduced, as I remember. And that what I liked, because that was close to what Comodo does - it still monitoring nasties in Training. Otherwise what you quoted is simply wrong (sorry) if implemented like that eventually and what is the difference to Clean PC / Install modes etc. :huh: That would be more than "a bit" disappointing & discouraging... anyway - OffTopic and we'll not discuss that here

...If so, please raise a Support Ticket.

That was discussed with developers and it should work now. They may ask for additional info.

I hope that H_D will respond and tell us how the said new feature is functioning on his PC

{Whole quotation edited} Lynx

Hey Lynx:

I submitted another ticket to support (Would have replied to first, but I had to allow view in GMAIL first), and they requested some additional information/logs.

I have not heard back yet?

I then signed up for beta, and will keep watching the changelogs (subscribed), for a bug fix....

G'day

Scott