Sign in to follow this  
Alan D

Faster scanning

I don't know what the emsisoft developers did with the latest updates, but I'd just like to say I like it, and thank you! A quick scan now takes half the time it used to: 40 seconds instead of 1.20

Hi Alan,

As we can see from ChangeBlog today was a "special day" since a lot of tested changes went from Betas to the Stables

Sure there were many improvements regarding speed as well.

E.g. the change in beta from Sept 14: "70% faster memory scan!"

That alone definitely is quite noticeable when performing a Quick Scan

Cheers!

P.S. no improvements for me though :( since I am working with beta most of the time :lol:

Actually the changelog was just posted here by Christian Mairoll

http://support.emsisoft.com/index.php?/topic/208-stable-update/page__pid__540__st__0entry540

A quick scan now takes half the time it used to: 40 seconds instead of 1.20

Quick Scan is very fast, I agree.

My question is about how long it takes to run a Smart Scan.

For me, after 30 minutes less than 10% progress.

Any recommendations on what to include in a Custom Scan

to include any vulnerable areas skipped in Quick Scan?

BTW, I'm very satisfied with what I can tell about Background Guard,

the real time protection seems to be top-notch with the updates

I see it doing automatically more than once a day.

In other words, I feel a2 stands ready to block new threats.

Hi davidwholt, and welcome to the forum

...My question is about how long it takes to run a Smart Scan

That is a matter of testing by you only, and as you understand that depends on many factors including you system performance as a whole / processor / disk RPM / current state of the disk regarding defragmentation / (some users are running quite intensive processes in the background. (I would not recommend that but... it happens)/ etc.

Well, the solid disk will not spin ... hmm ... so it should be "a bit' faster :)

...Any recommendations on what to include in a Custom Scan to include any vulnerable areas skipped in Quick Scan?

There cannot be particular recommendations re: what to include into Custom Scans.

That is your choice how many scansets you will create and save for future use.

Say, you want to save your folder dedicated to the files being downloaded for rescanning, or you are checking some Software that you are constantly updating/testing and you want to scan before running newerly installed version.

Any Custom Scan is a "deep scan" of the area scanned if you will leave all options as default.

Processes and all traces will be checked.

In addition the Quick Scan is included (is apart of) Custom Scan

You can test that:

- Run the Quick Scan only. The number of important files scanned, as I can see here is 482.

- Then create the Custom scan of the folder with known number of files (n). You will find that 482+n files were scanned

To increase the speed of any scan substantially - disable real-time resident of your additional Antivirus if you are using such in order to eliminate the interference of its "onAccess" feature

BTW, I'm very satisfied with what I can tell about Background Guard,the real time protection seems to be top-notch with the updates

We are glad that you are enjoying the strong protection of the Background Guard,

but "Free people" ;) (this section is "a2-Free") don't have it

My regards

Quick Scan is very fast, I agree.

My question is about how long it takes to run a Smart Scan.

For me, after 30 minutes less than 10% progress.

Any recommendations on what to include in a Custom Scan

to include any vulnerable areas skipped in Quick Scan?

Essentially you should scan your user profile, your program files folders and your Windows folder. To save time you should deactivate scanning inside archives. You may want to enable the extension filter as well.

Hi,

Here is the screenshot of my Custom scan

a2.jpg

Here is the screenshot of the identically same scan run a few minutes later

a2_repeat.jpg

The first scan took took more than 4 minutes, but the second identical scan took less than 1 minute.

I can replicate this at will, but I ask if others can replicate this behaviour and if it is to be expected?

My regards

The reason I did this repeat scan is because up to yesterday (before the advertised increase in scanning speed) the first scan (and until then, the only scan) took less than 3 minutes.

Y:\ looks like a network share or external drive. Since you scanned it once it is likely that the data still resides inside the cache. To get the cache out of the picture you would have to reboot between scans instead of just doing consecutive scans.

I expect, with your knowledge, you are right about the cache, but I do not have a speed increase. My base scan time has increased by more than 1/3rd.

If you had read the original posting you would have noticed that we are talking about the Quick Scan (which essentially is a scan for cookies, traces and a memory scan). You on the other hand only did a scan of a custom folder which has nothing to do with the performance improvements we implemented to speed up the memory scan.

Hi again,

I comment only because my scan time has suddenly and unexpectedly worsened substantially.

It is an absolute fact that, since yesterday, my Custom Scan is taking more than 1/3rd longer.

I would like to know if other Forum members are also experiencing this particular slow down.

My regards

Thank you for the response!

I disabled realtime protection of other antivirus, spyware and firewall;

ran Custom Scan of my internal hard drive © with these boxes checked;

and it completed in a reasonble amount of time (around 35-40 min).

heuritstic scan for unknown malware

alert riskware that is often used by malware

use the extension filter

Hi davidwholt,

Just a comment re your last post - you should not disable the Firewall.

That was not recommended above and that is not necessary for this procedure at all.

Needless to say that's unsafe.

Cheers!