Sign in to follow this  
JustMe

surf protection?

from my original post on the old forum:

http://forum.emsisoft.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=5683

Posted : Monday, July 13, 2009 2:09:45 AM

I noticed the last couple of days that i was not getting (the normally over paranoid) alerts for the typical websites (sears.com etc) ... in fact i could visit any site that was listed as BLOCKED in my Hosts Rules as well...

I uninstalled a squared and re-installed and updated... it is still refusing to block any sites listed on either hpHosts or in my Host Rules... anyone else seeing this?

Surf Protection is Enabled

Surf Protection tab:

Activate Surf protection is checked.

TrackingCookies: B&N

ad/tracking: dont B

Malware: A

Exploiting: A

Fradulent: A

HiJack: A

Phising: A

Warez: A

Other: B&N

An safe example to test is sears.com (they have had them blocked forever still not sure why)

if you visit sears.com you should be warned of a Malware site (http://www.hosts-file.net/default.asp?s=Sears.com ) yet it never triggers... just loads the page like normal....

this happens on chrome, firefox, IE

I am running windows XP sp3

I am running AVG with their surf protection disabled at install, Comodo firewall only, and a squared anti malware.

I did disable AVG shield and it still fails to detect.

various posts about checking certain things, and another user who had the issue...

then this reply:

Monday, July 13, 2009 7:40:43 PM

Fabian Wosar

I can confirm that there is a problem with the surf protection. I have filed a bug report for it and the developers will take care of it as soon as possible.

-- and then --

The current beta build should solve the problem. No ETA when it will hit the stable update tree though.

once in a blue moon will get an alert but generally get no alerts from surf protection to this day... the sears test still lets the site through and hphosts still lists it as blocked.

Should I try another way to correct the situation?

I am using A Squared Anti Malware.

Thanks again for your time.

Hi emsiuser,

Firstly, thanks for clarifying your initial request after the reply by Fabian Wosar

Can you please post to developers (not here) the list of the sites you think have to be blocked, but currently are not alerted by Surf Protection?

(probably you did that already)

I'm sure that H_D will have a look at the mater as well.

As he stated in the old thread you referred to - it eventually worked for him in A-M 4.5.0.19 version

As for the site you posted regarding sears . com

The site indeed is still in hpHosts, at the same time the site is not included in any other hosts and declared clean green/clear by any siteadvisor I checked with plus Finjan; WOT; Dr.Web; etc,

I visited the site

searsCOM.jpg and nothing wrong happened

What are your settings regarding community based alerts?

Have you revised rules created previously after the last update of the stable as in changelog?

My regards

Surf Protection continues to work as it should on my installation. This is on Vista though, not XP. Can anyone else verify whether Surf Protection is working with XP, please? I assume it is, otherwise we would have seen many more posts about it.

Thanks

Can you please post to developers (not here) the list of the sites you think have to be blocked, but currently are not alerted by Surf Protection?

all sites listed in hphosts are allowed to connect when my settings in the Surf Protection tab are all set to alert. any websites added to host rules manually and set to always deny are also allowed to connect.

I'm sure that H_D will have a look at the mater as well.

As he stated in the old thread you referred to - it eventually worked for him in A-M 4.5.0.19 version

never started working for me reliably. i did receive a tracking cookie alert which is why i came back over here to check the status. :D

other than that one alert it hasn't done anything for months.

As for the site you posted regarding sears . com

The site indeed is still in hpHosts, at the same time the site is not included in any other hosts and declared clean green/clear by any siteadvisor I checked with plus Finjan; WOT; Dr.Web; etc,

I visited the site

searsCOM.jpg and nothing wrong happened

i know its quite funny that it is listed... i use it as a test of sorts since i know its listed but i also know nothing should really happen when i do visit it :D

something wrong did happen when you visited :D you visited it! it should have blocked it (assuming you have surf protection on and set to alert or block the particular group its blocked under).

What are your settings regarding community based alerts?

Have you revised rules created previously after the last update of the stable as in changelog?

i have "Join the Anti-Malware Network" unselected in Configuration : Update.

i have no automatic rule triggering set based on community based alerts.

i did one better i uninstalled an reinstalled a squared no rules to revise.

thanks for your time

looks like it is just me...

since i know it now should be working i decided to do some tests... i uninstalled comodo firewall and a squared started responding properly.

looks like comodo was doing something to trample a squared (odd since i only had firewall on, i had their av and their anti mal turned off).

i am going to be trying the new pc tools firewall plus instead of comodo will see how that goes.

update: it is working properly with pc tools firewall plus...so i'll give this firewall a try for a while. looks like the later part of the issue was an interaction with comodo in firewall only mode.

thanks again for the prompt help both times.

have a good one

looks like it is just me
"just me"? ...hmm... interesting coincident ;)

Hi emsiuser,

Well, if you want another Firewall please consider Online Armor but not PC Tools.

Your issue has nothing to do with Comodo Firewall per se. I am 100% sure.

Then, if you would've mentioned what security you are using (nobody can remember that all the time even if you posted that long ago in the old forum) I would suggest to revise some rules in Comodo

… and those would not be necessarily belong to a-squared (too late)

As for the Comodo full Suite. Use Firewall only! ...and sure Defense+ , since there are no conflicts whatsoever with a2 Malware IDS.

Currently please forget about their AV, especially considering that you are using full a-squared Anti-Malware Suite.

My regards

Well, if you want another Firewall please consider Online Armor but not PC Tools.

whats the word on pc tools firewall plus? i ran out looking for the best of the current firewalls and it earned a 99% block at this site: http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/results.php so i decided to give it a try. have you heard something bad about it i should know about?

Your issue has nothing to do with Comodo Firewall per se. I am 100% sure.

the surf protection in a squared anti malware started working properly after i uninstalled comodo and rebooted.

Then, if you would've mentioned what security you are using (nobody can remember that all the time even if you posted that long ago in the old forum) ... since there are no conflicts whatsoever with a2 Malware IDS.

Currently please forget about their AV, especially considering that you are using full a-squared Anti-Malware Suite.

i had used comodo for over a year and have had no problems to speak of... i always have it in firewall only mode... there was something happening. i will try it with comodo again if i don't find another firewall i like better :D if i go back ill update this post with what i found.

have a good day!

Lynx also mentioned Defense +. Do you have Defense + enabled? If so, it is possible that it has blocked some aspect of A2. However, you do not need Defense + if the Malware IDS is active.

Can you post back with some information please?

Lynx also mentioned Defense +. Do you have Defense + enabled? If so, it is possible that it has blocked some aspect of A2. However, you do not need Defense + if the Malware IDS is active.

Can you post back with some information please?

when i had comodo running it was in firewall only mode... had their av and defence+ disabled. i was only running firewall.

have a good one

Hi emsiuser,

I don't want to go deep into "Comodo issue" at the moment since it's a bit out of scope and including the fact that it's uninstalled there at your place currently.

... but...

- there are 3 ways of disabling Defense+, so just stating that it was disabled is not enough;

- Defense+ should not influence the area in question, since it's not the one that manages anything related to Internet per se ... unless you would block some component that is "web-aware";

- It would be rather interesting to look at things like Hosts and its management; whether you have another one in place and the settings in Comodo regarding protected files;

- "disabled AV" ... well, as I said if you'll ever try Clean reinstall, do not choose its AV at the very beginning in the installation options, but not performing installation and then leaving it as on-demand. At least doing that way you will have more clear picture regarding the issue you encountered

Cheers!

ok had some time to play around... un-installed pc tools firewall and re-installed comodo choosing no av at install and choosing firewall only and indeed surf protection is working... it must have been something weird that happened to my older comodo install as i am pretty sure this is how i had it installed previously.

have a good one.

... re-installed comodo choosing no av at install and choosing firewall only and indeed surf protection is working...

Thanks for getting back with this information, emsiuser.

I'm glad to hear that ;) Cheers!

ok some more info if you need it... i was very curious so i found that on my machine... with the current version of comodo... if defense+ is on then Asquared Surf Protection won't work... but if defense+ is disabled it will work.

I also found to truly disable and enable defense+ you have to open comodo and select "Defense+" then "advanced" then "defense+ settings" then check or uncheck "Deactivate the defense+ permanently (requires a restart)"... the right click context doesn't work if that checkmark is there AND even if you select disable if that checkmark is not there a2 surf protection will still fail.

have a good day thanks again for your time

Yep that's those options I mentioned, but I still cannot see at the moment how the issue can relate to Defense+

I need some testing if I'll find time

That shouldn't be the case unless you imported your saved settings where something went wrong previously.

And that is a bit mysterious that you reported it was working after reinstall and then it stopped... but let's not dwell on that. I hope we'll find out eventually

Cheers!

That shouldn't be the case unless you imported your saved settings where something went wrong previously.

no imported anything... in fact i did a ccleaner registery cleanup after the un-install to remove any left over references to comodo... it is a totally clean install.

have a good one