ctb2003

Can't Load Emisoft Web Malware Scan

Hi,

I've been using the free web scan for months now and find it VERY useful. I used it a few days ago with no problem, but as of last night I can't get it to load. I always clear my cache, cookies, etc in Internet Explorer when it closes, so I need to load the program every time I run it. Of course, I have the add on installed as it has been since I first used the program.

I get to the point where it says "please wait until all necessary scanner components are downloaded". Below that is just a grey line with no signs of downloading progress, and below the line it says "loading version information".

After several seconds, I get an error message that says I/O error 32. I've tried reloading with the same result. I've made sure the Add On is enabled. I tried to see if there was a way to uninstall the Add On so that I could reinstall it again. I couldn't find a way to do this. All I could find to do was to disable and enable the Add On.

I would appreciate any help anyone could offer. I love this scanner and would like to be able to continue using it. If this was not possible, at least I'd like to remove the unneeded Add on. TIA to anyone who can advise me further.

Hi ctb2003, welcome to the forum

It seems like we have to ask and wait for the response from the developers

1st I do not use IE ever except for the testing purposes

I am having the latest IE8 on both computers and many Add-ons / (unfortunately) ActiveX(es) installed

I tested what you reported on XP Pro only.

I did not have any errors that you mentioned,... at the same time

my 3 attempts of trying

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/ax/

ended just by endless waiting of

3_ActiveX_LoadingComponents.jpg after which the PC has to be just Rebooted ("using the power switch"), since it became completely unresponsive

I'm sure developers will reply

At the same time, please provide more detailed information about your System Environment as in Forum Posting Rules #2)

My regards

I'm using chrome6 dev version.When open the web scanner page it took long long time to load when it finished,click start scan only get malware.exe from chrome downloader.

I thought the sandbox works :rolleyes:

If you scan regularly web scanner is not a good choice .A2 free seems more stable regardless of the the browser problems.

I'm sure developers will reply

At the same time, please provide more detailed information about your System Environment as in Forum Posting Rules #2)

My regards

Thanks for your reply. I can see now that I'm not the only one having problems. I never had to reboot my system, thankfully. I didn't even have Internet Explorer crash on me. After freezing for just a few moments, I was able to close it normally.

As for my system environment, I'm running Windows Vista, Service Pack 2. As for real time protection, I use Kaspersky Internet Security. I also run manual scans with Kaspersky, of course, plus I use Windows Defender and the downloaded version of Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool for manual scans. Again, thanks for your response.

If you scan regularly web scanner is not a good choice .A2 free seems more stable regardless of the the browser problems.

Thanks! I will look into that. I've only very rarely had problems with the web scanner, save a few false positives and one other occasion when I couldn't get the scanner to load. I appreciate your response.

...I'm using chrome6 dev version...If you scan regularly web scanner is not a good choice .A2 free seems more stable regardless of the the browser problems.
Hi Ray,

Whether the Web-Scanner is "a good choice" or not - is a different story

The user wants to use it

The question was about supplying the info re: Sys Environment

I will try it with Chrome, but please read what is written about the browsers

* Internet Explorer 5.0 or later with ActiveX activated.

* Browser must have admin rights to scan all system areas.

* Note: The scanner does not run in native x64 browsers.

If your browser is not supported, please use the Emsisoft MalAware Scanner instead

and then Due to the nature of ActiveX technology, the browser applet works in Internet Explorer only.

Most likely IE was in place, but that was a point of my reply & question

Now, after rebooting this PC I did try it again

That's what I found regarding IE8

4_EmsiSoftAdd-onEnabled.jpgthe add -on is enabled

5_EmsiSoftAccessViolation.jpg but that's what I am getting now ... And I have to Reboot my computer again

If IE is a preferred browser as it's stated... it should work with IE

My regards

p.s.

I know that you like Chrome, but it is not as good as many think it is ... its not as fast as advertised... it is currently definitely less secure even than IE (nothing can be less secure) ... and so on

Hi ctb2003,

I was typing at the same replying to Ray's post and didn't see your reply

Thanks for additional info

My regards

Thanks for your reply. I can see now that I'm not the only one having problems. I never had to reboot my system, thankfully. I didn't even have Internet Explorer crash on me. After freezing for just a few moments, I was able to close it normally.

As for my system environment, I'm running Windows Vista, Service Pack 2. As for real time protection, I use Kaspersky Internet Security. I also run manual scans with Kaspersky, of course, plus I use Windows Defender and the downloaded version of Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool for manual scans. Again, thanks for your response.

After several seconds, I get an error message that says I/O error 32.

That is a known issue. We have released a new version of the Web Scan yesterday. But the previous build is not able to update correctly to the new one. To fix this problem, please follow the instructions:

• Close all windows of MS Internet Explorer first.
  • Open Explorer and navigate to the temp folder. On Win7 e.g. it is: C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Temp\Low\a2onlinescan. If you can't locate it, do a full search for "a2onlinescan" folder on your harddrive.
  • Delete the file vdbupdate.dll there (only in that folder!)
  • Visit the Emsisoft Web Scan website. It should load correctly then. http://malwarescan.emsisoft.com

Hi Christian,

Thanks for replying

Is that an instruction for Win7 only?

On XP Pro vdbupdate.dll exists in C:\Program Files\a-squared Free\... & nowhere else

& definitely there is no such thing as …. \Temp\Low\a2onlinescan

I still have the issue described by me in this thread when using IE8

My regards

The web scan always creates an a2onlinescan folder in your user temp folder. There you must find the vdbupdate.dll and delete it.

Thanks for reply, Christian.

The only thing I can add to my message above:

======= XP Pro 32bit

Before starting the on-line scanner

TempFolderEmpty.jpg The temp folder is empty

As soon as the scanner stared

IE8crash_TempFolderContent.jpg I'm having this crash and the content of the temp folder added - no such file (vdbupdate.dll ) there in \a2onlinescan\ folder

In most cases I have to Reboot … sometimes though I can kill the IE process and continue

======= Win7 x64

(sure IE8 32bit was tested) where EAM 5.0.058 beta installed at that moment I got caught in the following constant cycle of the following alerts

1Alert.jpg

2Alert.jpg

[ConstantCycle.jpg back to #1

… meaning that I tried few times to “Allow” monitoring but had no time trying to “Exclude”, which probably would work, but unfortunately had to stop & give laptop back :( ... will try next time

My regards

That is a known issue. We have released a new version of the Web Scan yesterday. But the previous build is not able to update correctly to the new one. To fix this problem, please follow the instructions:

• Close all windows of MS Internet Explorer first.
  • Open Explorer and navigate to the temp folder. On Win7 e.g. it is: C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Temp\Low\a2onlinescan. If you can't locate it, do a full search for "a2onlinescan" folder on your harddrive.
  • Delete the file vdbupdate.dll there (only in that folder!)
  • Visit the Emsisoft Web Scan website. It should load correctly then. http://malwarescan.emsisoft.com

Thank you SO much for your help! I followed your instructions, and now I am able to load the scanner. It was very nice of you to respond so quickly, and I am grateful! Thanks again.

I just want to thank everyone who replied to my situation. It was very nice of you all to reply so quickly and lend me the benefit of your expertise. I'm very grateful.

Hi Guys,

1st , you are welcome, ctb2003 and thanks for your response

=======

I tested the new on-line scanner again on win 7 x64, mainly without much luck

… unless the instruction must say that EAM Guard (If EAM is installed ) must be disabled

If so, please ignore all written below

==============

1) I was still caught in the same cycle of alerts from EAM as described above;

2) Setting to “Exclude” did not help;

3) I just deleted the following malAware[1].exe ; malAware[2].exe from the Rules

Rules_created4On-LineScanner.jpg

4) in addition

1NoSuchFileWin7x64.jpg there is no such file (vdbupdate.dll)as mentioned in the instruction

5) I reran – no luck – the on-line “installation/loading” was hanging forever with the following

2AccessVialation.jpg

6) After disabling the Guard the "installation" :unsure: went through

InstallationAfteDiasblingTheGuard.jpg

7) and the thing was running

RunningAfrerDisablingGuard.jpg but there is no Add-on installed for the IE8 32bit

So it's kinda working but I am still in a dark because there were questions about installing ActiveX ("horror" :) ) , but it was not installed anyway

Any input from the developers would be appreciated

My regards