Sign in to follow this  
Kitei

Online scan won't work in Windows7 / IE8 - error msg

Apparently loads normally, but says it is not scanning any files, not finding anything (says "0" for every parameter). Can't close the window, have to go to task manager to close, gives "not responding" message and the following:

"Access violation at address 0B343A04 in module ‘asquared.ocx’. Read of address 0000026D."

My other computer has Windows XP and IE 7 and this scanner works great. I wish I could use it on this newer computer also. Any suggestions?

Hi Kitei, welcome to the forum

Indeed - that was reported to the developers

2a-squaredScannerOCX.jpg

There are slight differences in the systems (as in signature) and IE8 was tested using both OSes

{added} I just noticed that you mentioned IE8 as well in the subject title :)

You can try killing IE process(es) using Task Manager or any other Processes manager in use, but that not always working. Sometimes the system has to be rebooted

The developers are definitely addressing the problem

My regards

p.s. when posting requests please provide more detailed information about your System Environment as in Forum Posting Rules #2)

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt reply -- actually the WORST of the problem is that the scanner just does NOT run at all! Trying to close the window comes AFTER realizing that nothing is happening! One can choose normally which type of scan is desired (quick, smart, deep, etc.), but then the window that appears while scanning comes up but it does not show that it is scanning anything or finding anything -- processes, traces, cookies & files scanned stay at "0", and the "objects detected: 0" shows up in red, just for emphasis, I guess. I would find the non-cooperating window-closing more tolerable if only the scanner would work the helpful way it has on my other computer! Here is the info about the computer that the online scanner is having the problem with:

Service Pack: n/a

Platform: x64

Other security Software: Norton 360

Firewall: Windows Firewall managed by Norton Firewall Provider

I thought that the problem might be caused by the last-mentioned item above, however, I turned that (firewall management) off and still could not use the online scanner. (Here’s where I got my free trial of this program, just in case you want to try playing with it:

http://buy-static.norton.com/prod/html/partner/msft_EN.html?page=1582AIndexPage&client=Symantec&sid=37771&cid=273172&CUR=840&DSP=&PGRP=0&ABCODE=&CACHE_ID=273172)

But I still got the weird error message even when having the firewall manager off, just with a slight difference:

'Access violation at address 0B343A04 in module ‘asquared.ocx’. Read of address 0000026D.'

I have Symnantec Corporate on my other computer & it doesn't interfere with the online scanner.

It would be nice if some of the above could help solve the problem! Please see what you think!

Thanks again...

BTW - sorry about the quote thing, I think there is some weird problem with trying to reply through IE8 that happens sometimes and not others. Anyway, it was not intentional...

Hi Kitei,

1st - no need to apologize for the quote thing - it happens (some people don't know , others just use that & it makes some threads "not easy to read")... that's all

As for the message - yes as it was pointed - the thing currently is not working neither on XP nor on Win 7 x64

My regards

]P.S.[/i] as for 2 things mentioned OffTopic

- Windows Firewall - will never use that - it does not make any sense;

- Symantec products - forgotten issue - will never use any ever!

-

...Windows Firewall managed by Norton Firewall Provider
please feel free to create new thread in OffTopic section, because that is something new & I honestly never heard of :unsure: ... most likely because I am just ignoring any Symantec products

]P.S.[/i] as for 2 things mentioned OffTopic

- Windows Firewall - will never use that - it does not make any sense;

"Windows Firewall - does not make any sense"?????? Please give a nutshell explanation to a "not-'malware geek'"... (clinical nutrition grad student).

- Symantec products - forgotten issue - will never use any ever!

- please feel free to create new thread in OffTopic section, because that is something new & I honestly never heard of :unsure: ... most likely because I am just ignoring any Symantec products

Whatever knowledge I have about malware has been acquired unwillingly and through unhappy necessity. I would rather my computers just usefully do as I wish them to do, not eat my time and attention with malware problems. The Norton 360 is a free trial version. I can already see it's not exactly perfect. If you do have recommendations about some (probably) combination of products that will let me concentrate on what I want to do with my computers, rather than on someone else's wish to subvert my and my computer's energy without (our?) permission, I'm all ears. I would love to understand how to almost NEVER have an unexpected computer / malware incident -- and I'm much too far from "being there" for comfort.

Is the information in the box at the end of your last post to be taken as your recommendation for a useful combination of products -- or what else is it, if not that?

Hi Kitei,

Please that let's try to discuss OnTopic issue – the Emsisoft “Online scan won't work”

Just tested again on both systems before posting this

My regards

P.S.

I usually do those “mistakes” mentioning OffTopic :)… and you concentrated more on that than on a main issue here … again if you need advices re: security setup please create the thread in OffTopic. That is simply impossible to manage such huge issue here, when you can have hundreds of different opinions and definitely some excellent common advices

Is the information in the box at the end of your last post to be taken as your recommendation for a useful combination of products -- or what else is it, if not that?
in what box? :) ... kidding... Few notes tough:

It seams like I got the message “Windows Firewall managed by Norton Firewall Provider ”

You probably meant that you are using the Firewall that is a part of the Symantec Suite. Am I right (now)?

If so , just do not forget to disable the native MS Windows Firewall (MSFW) in order to eliminate conflicts.

As for my comment re: MSWF – it does not handle outgoing traffic – that was the main point to stress why it is not sufficient for providing this particular layer of the security.