herisson

Firewall Blocking Things it Shouldn't

Got the new EIS update this morning and suddenly the computers on my home network won't talk to each other. (Win7 x64 home premium and win7 x86 home basic on a netbook).

After a frustrating hour I eventually did the following:

Completely uninstall EIS from both computers.

Re-establish my homegroup configurations and ensure they were working

Re-install EIS on both computers.

Both computers again stopped talking to each other.

It seems the firewall is to blame.  If I disable the firewall on both computers then they are able to access each other.  I can live with this for the time being but it's inconvenient everytime I want to move files around.

I'd appreciate a recommendation for firewall settings to solve the problem.  Even better - fix the default behaviour to work as it did before.

There is currently a bug in the firewall in EIS which is causing some applications to be unable to connect to the network. Our developers are working on a fix to this issue. Right now the only workaround is to turn off the firewall when needed.

This is the 5th day I've had to have my firewall switched off. What's going on please?

There is currently a bug in the firewall in Emsisoft Internet Security that cause cause some applications to fail to connect to the network. Our developers are working on a fix for this.

Hi, just to add my input, I have exactly the same problem, and I'm currently running two PCs on an ethernet wired homegroup, both with fully updated Windows 10 Professional 64 bit operating systems. Tried for hours to make it work, then after googling, I discovered this thread, turned off both firewalls, and hey presto, homegroup pcs see eachother again. Hopefully the bug will be ironed out soon...

When are you going to release the fix for this or back-out the changes?

We never publicly post release dates. In software development, it is almost never possible to actually release software when promised without forcing developers to rush to meet the deadline, and thus inadvertently adding a ton of bugs and even partially completed and non-functional code.

If you would like a quick solution, then I recommend switching to the Delayed update feed, which will install an older version of Emsisoft Internet Security:

• Open Emsisoft Internet Security.
  • Click on Settings in the menu at the top.
  • Click on Updates in the menu at the top.
  • On the left, under Update Settings, click on the box to the right of Update feed and select Delayed from the list.
  • Click on the Update now button on the right side.

This is surely a major bug when a firewall does not allow Windows to allocate a network drive.  This should be backed out now.

"If you would like a quick solution, then I recommend switching to the Delayed update feed, which will install an older version of Emsisoft Internet Security:"

How much of an older version.  You made a subsequent release which did not attempt to address this issue despite this issue being known to you. This should have been back-out or fixed immediately.  It is extremely unprofessional.

We have just published a new beta that we hope will address these issues with the firewall blocking things it shouldn't. Here's how to install it if you would like to try it:

• Open Emsisoft Internet Security.
  • Click on Settings in the menu at the top.
  • Click on Updates in the menu at the top.
  • On the left, under Update Settings, click on the box to the right of Update feed and select Beta from the list.
  • Click on the Update now button on the right side.

Please be sure to let us know if you have any feedback about the beta.

This is surely a major bug when a firewall does not allow Windows to allocate a network drive.  This should be backed out now.

The issue arose when certain important issues were fixed in the firewall. Reverting those changes would have meant reintroducing a memory leak and an issue that allowed Offline Mode to be circumvented.

How much of an older version. ...

It's usually anywhere from 1 to 3 months old, depending on what our management feels is the most stable older build at the time. The idea is to give business who don't want to risk bugs impacting productivity (even if it means potentially not having the latest updates and fixes to our protection technologies) the ability to run an older version that is deemed safe for those environments.

"The issue arose when certain important issues were fixed in the firewall. Reverting those changes would have meant reintroducing a memory leak and an issue that allowed Offline Mode to be circumvented."

Re-introducing a problem where offline mode could be circumvented is surely better than having to switch the firewall off altogether.

Re-introducing a problem where offline mode could be circumvented is surely better than having to switch the firewall off altogether.

Even if that is the case, reintroducing a memory leak is a big deal, especially since some users had reported system instability caused by it.

Instability? Some of us had no firewall for 9 days.

Pretty sure you could have enabled the Windows Firewall during that time, which is also a good firewall.

It's unusable due to constant firewall messages for all my local software despite clicking 'allow all'. I've had to restore my system to get back to a previous release then it automatically updated anyway.

As ever since OA was dropped it is very high maintenance.  I have now gone back to the 'delayed' release which is supposed to be stable but of course it's not as it has the firewall issues so I've had to switch it off again. I cannot switch off updates!

I await a 'stable' release to test again.

Bring back OA.

It's unusable due to constant firewall messages for all my local software despite clicking 'allow all'. I've had to restore my system to get back to a previous release then it automatically updated anyway.

As ever since OA was dropped it is very high maintenance.  I have now gone back to the 'delayed' release which is supposed to be stable but of course it's not as it has the firewall issues so I've had to switch it off again. I cannot switch off updates!

I await a 'stable' release to test again.

Thanks for another confirmation of this issue. I was having the exact same issue with the BETA. I also had to switch back (to the delayed feed).

See this thread for more info:

http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/24430-beta-11906513-network-issue-solved-but-now-pesky-recurring-firewall-alerts/

We released 11.9.0.6513 as a stable build on Thursday evening (or Friday morning, depending on your time zone). A fix was supposed to have been included for the rules issue that you guys have reported, so please let me know whether or not everything has indeed been fixed.