Sign in to follow this  
vanderlei

slow down machine

Hi,

I installed the free anti-malware few days ago, as to test it, and after that I noted that while mostly using old good Eudora 7.1 e-mail program it got slower than before, and this means that either while moving some message from In Box to Trash or any other box, or depending also while sending a message Windows switch from Eudora to the next opened program I have, like Opera.

Seems this free anti-malware version catchs a lot of things that previous Avast wasn't catching, but this problem is strange for me.

I have the Zonealarm free firewall installed, and Avast is still installed but not on, so basically my protection today is the free emsisoft anti-malware and zonealarm firewall only running on machine.

my machine is a Centrino running at 1.8GHz, with 2GB of RAM, so even not the best machine but used to be much faster than after installing your program.

Any ideas why this happens ??? maybe a specific setup of program ? conflicts with other programs ?

Also, can I run emsisoft free anti-malware together with Avast and Spyboot Search & destroy, or would cause conflicts ??

thanks,

Vanderlei

Hi vanderlei, welcome to the forum

what Os are you running?... mainly please provide all detailed information about your System Environment as in Forum Posting Rules #2)

When you are saying "Free version" - what was chosen in the Wizard during the installation?

- 3 days - no account?

- 30 days trial (including setting the account)?

- have the Software already went "free" meaning that the trial expired and you don't have it's real-time features in place already?

If the latter, just on-demand scanner should be in place & it should not interfere with any of currently intstalled security at all

So basically please be more specific & provide more detailed information

My regards

p.s.

...Also, can I run emsisoft free anti-malware together with Avast and Spyboot Search & destroy, or would cause conflicts ??...
if you still have the full version trial and the Guard is in place it is highly unrecommended having any other AV/ antiSpyware with their real-time residents active. You will definitely have clashes & conflicts.

But since the free edition is just on-demand scanner - you should not have problems having other security (with real-time residents) in place

Hi,

sorry for not sending all info.

1. it's a Windows XP professional Version 2002, Service pack 3, 1.6GHz clock

2. have an Avast 5.0.545 anti-virus that is installed but not running now, plus a running firewall ZoneAlarm 9.2.57.000, and then have installed but run only on-demand both a Malwarebytes and Spybooth Search & Destroy

3. I firstly installed a 3-day free-version and then tried during like 3 days (always got no response from server after do the registration) to register and upgrade it to the 30-days version, as to test and see if would be a good option to use, and it's the one I'm using now here

4. so, the version I'm using is the 30-days with registration, and then means it's really running or this version is only on-demand, because if it's the latest then I've been using my machine without any protection since like one week ago...... but always that I visit a web site that has some calls to another address then the anti-malware detects this trial and block it, so seems it's running.....

thanks,

Vanderlei

4. so, the version I'm using is the 30-days with registration, and then means it's really running or this version is only on-demand, because if it's the latest then I've been using my machine without any protection since like one week ago...... but always that I visit a web site that has some calls to another address then the anti-malware detects this trial and block it, so seems it's running...
Thanks for reply and additional info, Vanderlei

No, you should be protected

Since you stated that you are running 30-days trial of EAM - all it's real-time components must be active

Its Guard should be running at startup (system Boot-up), Malware ISD (Behavioral Blocker) has to be running , Surf Protection active; etc.

So, unless you've changed (unchecked) those options you should be fine with full protection in place

Can you, please confirm that all options are "On" (see "Configuration" menu) & you have an icon in the SysTray area, where you can Right-Click and observe all components of EAM?

In addition what are the settings in the License area?

My regards

Lynx,

thanks again for info, and sorry for delay as I was on vacation.... one full day !!!!

File Guarder, Behavior Block and Surf Protection are ON, and I have the icon on sysTray.

I found that on File Guard there is an option selected, which is "Additionally scan all files when they are created or modified" so maybe this is slowing down the eudora program, as every time I send a message to trash, or move it, Eudora change that specific file, but shouldn't be too slow like it's now.

As for the License, there are two options: 30 day trial, and Freeware License, and the 30 days option is the one selected, which is still valid.

regards,

Lynx,

As test I switched off this feature of scan files when they are created or modified, and performance is much better now, so don't know why it slow down that much my laptop.

Is this feature important to keep it ON ?

thanks,

Vanderlei

Guest James

Hey there, I have also turned off the "created or modified" functions to speed up my computer - Although I was not having any issues it did speed it up a small amount. If you still find yourself with a speed decrease, it may be worth ticking the "scan only files with the following extensions".

Technically this should not decrease your level of protection, since it makes EAM only scan executable and therefore dangerous files - If you get some malware that reads from or executes (there are simple ways of malware doing this) files with custom extensions then EAM will not scan this. I rarely come across any malware that executes custom extensions so you should be okay however if you are not seeing any performance decrease now then i recommend you keep it ticked.

I'm not sure about what you wrote, James

1) I do not use Eudora;(has 2 b considered!);

2) on both systems - XP 32bit & Win x64 I do not have any slowdowns because of setting up EAM's "onAccess"

3) I just personally prefer "onExecution" only - that was & is enough for me

If there are real slowdown concerning the specific function of trashing unneeded e-mails when using Eudora - that has to be investigated

Nothing like that happening using Outlook 2007 / Outlook Express / Thunderbird Portable on both aforementioned systems

My regards

Guest James

I had serious problems with slowdowns when using EAM with pocomail - Specifically deleting emails would take minutes for each one. When i followed the steps i mentioned in my previous post it fixed it :)

James,

I'm not saying that it may not “fix" some related slowdown problems...

… and yes it is bit slower with Thunderbird

My point was – it has to be investigated, and nothing more than that

It could be the case of how e-mails are organized. Say, the Bird keeps them in one indexed file as far as I know. I know nothing about “poco” & Eudora.

Basically any security with “onAccess” has impact on performance, but if that is happening with specific e-mail clients or specific file-types (as it was before with scanning certain video-containers) - the problem could be addressed & it may happen that there is a solution.

Could be special settings , meaning user may still use “onAccess” if that was introduces , but exclude some “types” etc. ... filtering by extensions as you mention earlier or not necessarily just an extensions... (???)

E-mails handling was always a “special one”. You have to avoid real-time scanning, which EAM doesn't do anyway (a& that is good!),

but probably there could be some additional settings making “onAccess” more flexible (just a question again)

Cheers!