Sign in to follow this  
affebaffe

Trying upgradeing A2 to version 5

Trying to update my A2 free program yesterday I was told that you did not support A2 any longer and would I like to upgrade to version 5?

I installed version 5 and was given three options, buy it, take a 30 day free license or take a 3 day free license. I choose the 3 day option. After updating the database I started the program to check my PC.

During the time it took to check my PC I was told twice (pop-up) that my license had expired. What happened to the 3 free days?

This morning starting my PC I was told that my license had expired, my PC was not protected and I was given two options. Buy the program or enter the license. Again was I not supposed to have a free 3 day trial period?

I have no uninstalled your program, I’m sorry I can’t give you any feed back on how I rate it as I have not had the opportunity to test it. The old A2 was in my opinion very good. Especially the checking of files in the virus vault whenever the database was updated was a nice feature.

Am I surprised? Not really, you as all of us are trying to make money and one way of promoting a product is to give it away for free. When a sufficient number of persons are “hooked” on your product you hit them with a “pay or die” variety. What I do think is that you could have made the “upgrade” from “free” to “pay” more informative and more user “friendly”.

If you promise a free 3 day trial you should be able to fulfill that promise to your customer.

Hi affebaffe, welcome to the forum

The 3-day trial bug was reported previously.

The fix should be soon in the stable version, but currently after re-downloading & installing 5.0.0.64 downloaded from the site, you may consider to check “Install beta updates” in "Configuration"

Please see this announcement in the the changelog

Please tell us how it goes

My regards

Am I surprised? Not really, you as all of us are trying to make money and one way of promoting a product is to give it away for free. When a sufficient number of persons are “hooked” on your product you hit them with a “pay or die” variety. What I do think is that you could have made the “upgrade” from “free” to “pay” more informative and more user “friendly”.

If you promise a free 3 day trial you should be able to fulfill that promise to your customer.

The 3-day trial is currently implemented by generating a user account based on the person's MAC address. The MAC address is supposed to be a unique identifier of your network devices. Unfortunately certain computer manufacturer tend to reuse the same MAC address for all their assembled PCs. So the 3-day trial was already used by a different person having the same MAC address as you have.

The easiest way to circumvent this issue is to create a user account instead to opt in for the 30 day trial. Those are based on the mail address. After the 30 days of trial (or before if you want to) you will be switched to the Freeware license which is essentially the same as a-squared Free was before.

The next version will by the way allow the user to install directly in Freeware mode and uses different hardware information to generate the 3-day trials so the problem you experienced should no longer be an issue.

Gentlemen, thanks for explain the 3 day problem to me.

Since Mr. Wosar indicates that this problem will disappear in the next version I may do another test run of your program in a few months time.

Regards

Hi, this is my first post on the forum.

I am sorry, if I should not be posting here, and if I should be starting a new thread. But, the problem is related, or rather same, so I am posting here.

I had been using the previous version(just before 5.0.0.64) of Emsisoft Anti-malware, which was working fine without any problem. When the latest version 5.0.0.64 came out, I decided to update to it. When I tried to install it over the previous version, it did not install. So, I removed the earlier version, and installed the latest version, which went smoothly.

On installation, I chose to select the 3-day trial since I thought that after the 3 days, the program would automatically revert to the freeware version. But, that did not happen. After installation, choosing the 3-day trial, downloading signature, and running the quick scan... the next screen says the the trial period has expired. There is no "Continue" button, like there was in the previous version, so that I could continue to the freeware version.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling again, and choosing the last option, which contains freeware version license, but that does not work either :(. I have tried to uninstall and install several times without success.

I have searched the forums and found that there was a bug/issue with the license, but it said that it had been fixed in 5.0.0.64 beta. And in the final version changelog of 5.0.0.64 also states that the license bug had been fixed. But, seems like it has not been fixed yet.

Will this problem be solved in the next version? If yes, I will wait for the next version. I hope it is released soon.

Thanks a lot. Keep up the good work, the software is excellent :).

Currently to use the Freeware mode you will have to create a user account. Otherwise you will get stuck where you are currently. This is a bug that is fixed in the current beta builds that are scheduled for release during the next days. You can already get the fix by enabling the Beta Updates option, run an update and run the "a2wizard.exe" manually. In the new wizard select the Freeware mode.

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks a lot for the download link Fabian. I was in need of that link, because Download.com have not updated the version yet. I have observed this many times for other software too. Download.com is very very slow to update the versions. Sometimes they update fast, but its very rare. Most of the times I have seen, they have been very slow.

FileHippo, and Softpedia have updated the version to 5.0.0.67 already. So, you might think of changing the official download site. Just a suggestion :).

I personally like to download software from the developer's site itself, and so the download link which you shared, is appreciated a lot :).

I downloaded the setup, and installed the software. There is now a Freeware Mode on installation, so now it is easier for the user to choose, and to install the freeware version. I have installed it, and everything is great.

Again, thanks a lot. Thumbs up. Please keep up the excellent work with this software :).