Lenny

Removing a2 Free Service [Resolved]

I have upgraded from a2usb 4.5.0.27 to EEK 1.0.0.10, seemingly successfully so far. However, I still have the a-squared Free Service in MMC. How do I remove this item?

Also, my first update several hours ago was 15,000 KB. Now, EEK wants to download another 81,226 KB. Huh?

Hi Lenny, welcome to the forum

1st please provide more detailed information about your System Environment as in Forum Posting Rules #2)

EEK should not run the service

In order to investigate the issue give the developers more details in addition to the above:

1) did you run the Software straight from the USB Flash Stick or you copied (unZIPped) it into the directory on hard drive?;

2) Do you still have any full or free version of the Software still installed (whether it is former a-squared or the new v5 of EAM)?

My regards

p.s. {added}

I'm not sure at the moment why there was such a big download after such recent latest update.

EEKupdate.jpg that is what I had after an hour after downloading the latest v1.0.0.11 & running a2emergencykit.exe from my iPod and confirming recommended on-line update

Hi Lynx, this is on a fresh build of XP SP3 (one month ago). Prior to EEK, only a2usb has been used on this build, and were run from a external usb drive.

My latest update attempt was 0 KB, noting that Ikarus signatures could not be downloaded, so that must be the additional 81,226 KB.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks for the reply, Lenny

You did not mention that Additional Ikarus Signatures could not be downloaded...

... and is so - yes the recent t3sigs.vdb file size is: 79.4 MB (83,269,586 bytes)

At the same time , despite you mentioned running EEK from just from USB that did not clarified the matter regarding the existence of any old installations on your hard drive

Then ... was it USB Flash (important!) drive or the external USB wit hard drive?

In the past (see old forum discussions) that was an issue since Flash & externals with hard drives are treated differently by the Operating System

Therefore it would be interesting to know

Cheers!

You did not mention that Additional Ikarus Signatures could not be downloaded...

... and is so - yes the recent t3sigs.vdb file size is: 79.4 MB (83,269,586 bytes)

Let me clarify:

My first update of 15,000 KB did not mention that Ikarus signatures could not be downloaded. However, I do recall mention of the Ikarus engine being either updated or installed during that update process.

My second update was for 81,226 KB, which I cancelled.

My third update was for 0 KB, and is the one that said Ikarus signatures could not be downloaded.

At the same time , despite you mentioned running EEK from just from USB that did not clarified the matter regarding the existence of any old installations on your hard drive

Then ... was it USB Flash (important!) drive or the external USB wit hard drive?

My apologies. It is indeed a external USB hard disk drive. Since the internal HDD format and fresh OS install one month ago, only a2usb and EEK have been used (files located on the external USB HDD). No Emsisoft product has ever been "installed" since the fresh build.

Additional information: The a-squared Free Service in MMC is stopped and cannot be started with error message file not found.

Also, I have found about 12 leftover entries in my registry for a-squared Free Shell Extension and a-squared Free Service. Is there an uninstaller, or can I delete these manually?

Thanks for the reply & some clarification info, Lenny

1) as for downloading.

The download of the whole Addiitional Ikarus database file happens when & if 50 subsequent updates were missed.

Then it sometimes can occur when there is a failure with connection. Most likely that was the case this time. There are discussions regarding the matter in our old forum.

Mainly that happens when users are having unreliable connection especially & unfortunately those having dial-up. Yes, cancelling is one of the ways to “cure” that. Then either a small current update will be downloaded or the Software will report “..up-to-date...”

In your case as far as I understand that was something with connection since you just could not access the server next time you tried (if I got your message correctly);

2) Since you confirmed running a2usb previously only from the external having hard drive, what you described are most likely those leftovers (the Shell Extension entries & the Service)

As far as I understand now that should not happen with the new EEK.

I do have the package now written into iRiver mp3 player with 40 GB hard drive , but in order to perform clean test I need to uninstall my existing Software.

If that is necessary I'll do that , but most likely the developers will confirm current situation with EEK running from the external hard drive with no previously encountered issues

I hope, if you are confident about cleaning the registry regarding mentioned leftovers please do that. (removing old a2usb package itself is an issue at all)

After that just redownload/unzip/ or just update EEK – there is a new version -1.0.0.11

And please tell how it goes. Please ask if any questions.

Cheers!

I hope, if you are confident about cleaning the registry regarding mentioned leftovers please do that. (removing old a2usb package itself is an issue at all)

All done, Lynx! The only issue was I had to change permissions on several legacy keys before I could delete them. But after a reboot, there's no more service or shell extension. Also, EEK is currently fully updated (v. 1.0.0.11) including Ikarus signatures, which I accomplished through the program updater.

Thank you much for your guidance.

Lenny :)

PS I use ERUNT to automatically run daily registry backups, and ran an additional backup just prior to deleting the entries in case something goes KABOOM! :lol: