Ravi Gupta

Antimalware Surf-Protection

Hi

I am planning to purchase the Anti-Malware 5 1-year pack. I do plan to give the trial version a thorough spin before making the purchase. But, I have a few questions -

1. Is surf-protection a browser-specific feature? If yes, which browsers does it officially support?

2. Does surf-protection feature install any add-ons/extensions etc in the browsers?

3. I use Orbit Download Manager to download files. Does Anti-Malware have any conflicts with Orbit or other download managers in general?

4. Setting the scanner component to scan only on execution - what sort of security compromise does this bring to the system?

Hi Ravi Gupta, welcome to the forum

1. Is surf-protection a browser-specific feature? If yes, which browsers does it officially support?

It is not browser specific. Please read 7.5 Surf Protection" in the Help file in the first place.

EAM has its' own list but mainly it relies on hpHosts file management that is blocking included known addresses.

In addition you can create your own rules & edit existing ones

2. Does surf-protection feature install any add-ons/extensions etc in the browsers?
No it doesn't
3. I use Orbit Download Manager to download files. Does Anti-Malware have any conflicts with Orbit or other download managers in general?
There were no reports regarding any conflicts, but mainly if you trust the Software you can just exclude it from monitoring.

What you are downloading & how that is checked - is a different story

4. Setting the scanner component to scan only on execution - what sort of security compromise does this bring to the system?
”onExecution” means that only those files that are executables are checked before their execution against the existing signatures.

The latest v5 added additional (traditional) “onAccess” feature as any other Antiviruces – that will check any accessed /opened/changed etc.

files

Basically it is not a compromise per se It is actually quite sufficient feature. Less impact on system performance & actually many prefer using just that feature, since only active code is checked, which is what mostly needed.

In addition there is a Behavior Blocker Module that will check the executed code add its actions and flag it (Alert you) if considered suspicious. That analysis is not based on signatures, therefore new yet unknown threats can be caught

My regards

hi ravi

welcome to the forum

i think you got your answer appropriately above , i just wanted to tell you as a new user i am very satisfied with it .

you will definitely like + not to mention its highest detection .

though still just wanted the developers to make it less resourceful using like nod and norton which would then make it "PERFECT "

Thanks for such quick and informative replies. I have a concern though - the surf protection feature sounds like a block-list type thing. What about code that is being downloaded by the browser during page rendering? If a page that is not a part of the block-list yet, and has some embedded malicious scripts, then what part of Anti-Malware will detect it? If the standard file scanner will do it, then it will do so after the malicious code has already downloaded to hard disk. And if I have on-access disabled then this might have issues with system security. Web scanning IMO is a different ballgame all together.

"If a page that is not a part of the block-list yet, and has some embedded malicious scripts, then what part of Anti-Malware will detect it?"

I hope malicious scripts will be revealed on their execution - by file guard or behavior blocker (I use EAM as av solution), EAM doesn´t have common http scanner.