roscoe

Emsisoft and Kaspersky

I have installed Emsisoft AM and Kaspersky on 100's of machines running on Win 7/8/8.1/10 and every now and the I have an issue pop up. Both IE and Chrome will fail to open but Firefox works fine. IE and Chrome both fail immediately and give an error message "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000000d)". I know Chrome shares some settings with IE so it's not super surprising that Firefox works. This issue doesnt always happen right after install. I've had the system work fine for a week and then come back with the issue. I've also had installs work fine for 11 months before the system comes back in with the same error. If either Emsisoft or Kaspersky are uninstalled (so running just Emsisoft or just Kaspersky) the browsers work fine. Reinstalling which ever application I unistalled causes the issue to return.

I have an example system I am working on right now that I have time to try and work this out and I am looking for help.

Example system is running :

Windows 8.1 64-bit

Emsisoft 11.8.0.64.86

Kaspersky 16.0.1.445©

Until I updated the software I know this system was not running the most updated version of Kaspersky. I uninstalled both programs and reinstalled with the newest installers from both websites.

We have made choices on past systems, we removed Emsisoft and installed Malwarebytes. I would like not to do that. I dont believe it is Kaspersky not playing nice with other software but more that Kaspersky and Emsisoft share some features. I know one of the scan engines Emsisoft employs is some form of the Kaspersky engine. So I believe it has less to do with a software "compatibility" than a software "collision" of some sort where the Kaspersky part of Emsisoft is fighting with the same function in Kaspersky. If I have to choose a software I will, but I am a curious person and am also interested in the cause and I was hoping for more than just a generic "Yup, you gotta do a clean install of windows, sorry" type of no help answer. Those type of answers are why I never post on forums.

If there is anyone who has any suggestions or run into this before or would like to help me figure this out (which would be good for Emsisoft as well) I would be more than happy to listen/try stuff on the Test system I have here.

Thanks

What Peter said is right. You're installing two Antivirus programs on one system, which you should never do since it can create system instability and conflict.

Can it replace my current antivirus software?

Yes. Emsisoft Anti-Malware is a complete antivirus solution that provides protection against all manner of threats that are lurking on the internet. Two full virus scanning engines are used to ensure optimal detection and cleaning, while the three-layered real-time protection prevents new infections from entering your PC.

Source: https://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/antimalware/

And this article in Emsisoft's KB confirms it.

Are Emsisoft products fully compatible with other security products?

One example of kaspersky not playing well with other software, is Sandboxie.  they don't play and SBIE has stated change is needed in the Kaspersky code related to a failed sandbox attempt

Kaspersky is not very nice to some other products. For example I've been using Kaspersky Free and SpyShelter Firewall. 

Everything was working just fine until one day google chrome stopped working and was crashing on start. I figured the issue was Kaspersky.

And using 2 antivirus software is a bad idea. Pick one of them and if you need a secondary scanner use Zemana instead of Malwarebytes.

First, please note that there is a known compatibility issue with Emsisoft Anti-Malware and Kaspersky's products on Windows 10, and they should never be used together on that version of Windows.

That being said, the symptoms you are describing and not uncommon when issues arise while two security softwares have hooks open to each others running processes. On versions of Windows other than Windows 10 it should be possible to resolve these issues with exclusions. All you should have to add to the Kaspersky software's exclusions is the Emsisoft Anti-Malware folder. With Emsisoft Anti-Malware whitelist you'll have to add the Kaspersky product's folder, as well as individually add each executable as a Process exclusion.

Here's some instructions on adding a Folder exclusion in Emsisoft Anti-Malware:

• Open Emsisoft Anti-Malware from the icon on the desktop.
  • Click Protection.
  • Select File Guard in the menu at the top.
  • On the right side, roughly in the middle, click on the Manage whitelist button.
  • In the box under Type click the little down arrow and select Folder (you may need to click in the box for the arrow appear).
  • Click in the gray box below Item to make a button with three dots (...) appear, and then click the ... button.
  • Navigate to the directory you wish to exclude, select it, and click OK at the bottom to add it.
  • Click the OK button at the bottom when done, and close Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
Here are instructions on adding processes to the whitelist in Emsisoft Anti-Malware:
  • Click Protection.
  • On the right side, roughly in the middle, click on the Manage whitelist button.
  • In the box under Type click the little down arrow and select Process (you may need to click in the box for the arrow appear).
  • Click in the gray box below Item to make a button with three dots (...) appear, and then click the ... button.
  • Navigate to the directory where the files you wish to exclude are located, and double-click on one of them to add it.
  • Repeat the last 3 steps as needed to add each file to the exclusions list.
  • Upvote 1

First, please note that there is a known compatibility issue with Emsisoft Anti-Malware and Kaspersky's products on Windows 10, and they should never be used together on that version of Windows.

That being said, the symptoms you are describing and not uncommon when issues arise while two security softwares have hooks open to each others running processes. On versions of Windows other than Windows 10 it should be possible to resolve these issues with exclusions. All you should have to add to the Kaspersky software's exclusions is the Emsisoft Anti-Malware folder. With Emsisoft Anti-Malware whitelist you'll have to add the Kaspersky product's folder, as well as individually add each executable as a Process exclusion.

Here's some instructions on adding a Folder exclusion in Emsisoft Anti-Malware:

• Click Protection.
  • In the box under Type click the little down arrow and select Folder (you may need to click in the box for the arrow appear).
  • Navigate to the directory you wish to exclude, select it, and click OK at the bottom to add it.
Here are instructions on adding processes to the whitelist in Emsisoft Anti-Malware:
  • Click Protection.
  • In the box under Type click the little down arrow and select Process (you may need to click in the box for the arrow appear).
  • Navigate to the directory where the files you wish to exclude are located, and double-click on one of them to add it.
  • Repeat the last 3 steps as needed to add each file to the exclusions list.

Thank you! I will give it a shot on the Windows 8.1 system I have now. I really appreciate the answer and the useful information about Windows 10 as well. This is exactly what I was hoping for, either a resolution or a hard statement about compatibility for a certain software config. I didnt think it could the answer was the 2 softwares could never work together because I've had a TON of systems they work just fine together on. Now I know not to use them on windows 10.