Microsoft Web Control

iWarren

Microsoft allows developers to utilize a "Web Control" container

allows you to browse within an application.

I was curious, if EIS also extends into this custom web container?

If so, are there any particular versions it is meant to support?

Although, now that I think about it, EIS probably just filters websites,

and doesn't have much interaction with the internal workings of the

browser controls.

I think it's a great thing for security software to *not* use browser extensions because:

a) You add unnecessary bloat to the browser, with a good chance of slowing it down.

b) You have to follow the browser's development, its idiosyncrasies, incompatibilities and all sorts of unnecessary problems.

c) Possibly the most important point: since you cannot create extensions for all browsers out there, you will be forced to limit user choice and only be compatible with a few, mainstream browsers (which are almost never the best choice, especially privacy-wise).

c) Possibly the most important point: since you cannot create extensions for all browsers out there, you will be forced to limit user choice and only be compatible with a few, mainstream browsers (which are almost never the best choice, especially privacy-wise).

That's probably the biggest reason why we don't have browser extensions. We've tried things like Outlook add-ins in the past, and they didn't work out very well. Trying to do that for multiple browsers (which is at least 4 right now), and make them useful and while keeping them from somehow breaking the browser, keeping them updated so they work when new browser versions are released, etc. is a lot more challenging than that.