Quirky

CLOSED App lock issue/question

Hello, Android novice so please forgive possible wrong terminology.

Using the useful App Lock feature but it asks for the pin extremely frequently. There's a button in my Samsung tablet (Android 4.4.2) that reveals all open apps, so I can quickly switch between them. If I finger-hold one of them, I have the option to "remove it from list" which essentially closes it.

If I get this correctly, the apps remain open and we are just switching between them. However, EMS asks the pin on every single switch, which is troublesome. I'd expect (or have an option) for the pin to be requested only when apps are closed/opened.

Thanks.

update: an option for stronger pins would also be nice (6/8 digits etc)

Hi CBMman,

Thank you for contacting our support.

Pleas open Emsisoft Mobile Security and then click "App Lock" to access the screen for this feature. Now please press the button for more options on your mobile device, you should be able to find an option there to add a delay for when the pin will be requested again.

This way Emsisoft Mobile Security will not ask every single switch but App Lock will also work for apps which are in the background. Our developers will most likely don't change this behavior in favor to only request the pin if an app is started initially. The reasons is that quite some people don't close apps completely at all and with the behavior as it is at the moment the App Lock feature still gives protection.

Thank you for all your feedback and the idea to make an option for enabling stronger pin codes, I'll forward it accordingly.

If I can assist any further please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thank you Thomas. I see now it says: 4-8 digits. I didn't notice it probably (or a change in the recent update?).

About the pin delay, I can't find a 'more options' setting/button anywhere.

Dear CBMan,

Thank you for your feedback.

I'm sorry for my late reply to you, unforeseeable I was not able to treat my email request earlier. No changes related to the pin code in the last update, seems like I missed 4 to 8 digits are possible already.

The button for more options could be a software or hardware button on your device often showing three vertical dots. However, on some phones you need to press the home button and keep it pressed a moment to see more options, and on others you need to press and hold down the button which activates multitasking.

If you cannot find out how it is possible to display more options using your mobile device please let me know the exact model of the device. With some luck I can find out with the help of Google.

• Upvote 1

Thanks, I had to hold the "Task Manager" button, so I managed to add the delay. Still, I hope you can consider adding the "if app is started initially" option (doesn't have to be the default of course) or perhaps increased/custom delay options.

Hello CBMman,

Thank you for sharing the solution with us!

I'll make sure to pass your feature request to our developers and management and it'll be up to them to decide if we might can offer this option to our customers in a future version.

Personally I think it could be a nice addition. If I can assist any further please do not hesitate to contact me.

I'm posting here for an App Lock issue, it seems it doesn't work properly on the Gmail app. It only activates about half of the times it's launched, including the very first Gmail app launch where the App Lock almost never activates.

Hello CBMman,

Thank you for your request.

Please could you let me know if this is the Samsung tablet running Android 4.4.2?

Also please could you let us know the following information:
   1. The model and manufacturer of the device
   2. The version of Emsisoft Mobile Security used
   3. Is there any other security solution installed on the device?
   4. a) Please open the settings of your mobile device and choose "Security settings".
      b) Is Emsisoft Mobile Security listed and enabled as "Device Administrator“ there?

Do you only see this problem with the Gmail app?

Yes, same Samsung SM-T230 tablet with EMS 2.0.6, no other security software installed. "All-In-One Toolbox" app is installed however with some Google background stuff disabled by it, haven't yet tried uninstalling it as a test. I've locked 4-5 apps with EMS, problem only occurs with Gmail - EMS is listed & enabled as admin.

Hello CBMman,

Thank you for the requested information.

I'll pass it to our developers and let you know once I know more.

In the meanwhile, if I can assist any further please do not hesitate to contact me.

Hi CBMman,

Thank you for your patience.

I just wanted to let you know that the problem you experience is not forgotten.

Instead our developers tested the set-up on a few different devices, both with and without the All-in-one Toolbox application installed, but we weren't able to reproduce the behavior so far.

We are looking to see what we can do further in this scenario and I'll come back with more info soon.

• Upvote 1

Thank you. About the 30-sec delay, is it application-specific or applies to all apps? Let's say I open and unlock app #1 and in less than 30 sec. I open a different locked app. Will the lock apply here or not? I could've be mistaken here in reporting the Gmail issue...

Ok did some more testing, and it seems to work globally. If I unlock an app, no pin will be required for all apps (not just the one previously unlocked) in the next 30 secs. so this has probably misled me. I tested Gmail some more and the lock seems to work consistently as above.

Consider this solved, I will post if it comes up again. Sorry for the time-waste.

Dear CBMman,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to let us know.

I missed to outline the exact functionality of the App Lock feature or at least would have needed to double-check if it is related to the delay you've mentioned.

I'll inform our developers about it, they'll be glad to hear :)

If I can assist any further please do not hesitate to contact me.

I now use the 'Unlock until screen off' option but Apps are not locked consistently. I often open Gmail for example after turning on the device and it opens nornally, no pin asked. I'd say 4 out of 10 times, the lock doesn't work as expected.

Dear CBMman,

Thank you for your message.

Is the problem on your Samsung SM-T230 tablet mentioned in this thread?

Please, could you let us know the Android version used and the version of Emsisoft Mobile Security which you are running currently?

Is there any other security app installed? Please also check if Emsisoft Mobile Security is device administrator in the Android settings under "Security".

Please look out for power saving features installed on your device, if you have installed such apps or maybe the possibility is given by your manufacturer another way please excluseEmsisoft Mobile Security.

Please also uninstall any app like Bluelight Filter for Eye Care, Lux, Twilight, or something similar to them if such apps are installed right now.

In the meanwhile, if I can assist please do not hesitate to contact me.

Same device and Android version. No other security app (All-In-One-Toolbox is installed), EMS 3.2.1 with admin access. I also see a notification access option with only EMS as an option  (disabled). Should that be enabled?

I don't have any apps that apply power-saving except for what Android itself does.

Hello CBMman,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, the option you mentioned should be enabled, please switch it on. Even if that may not have been the problem.

I've passed all the info to our mobile developers and will come back as soon as I know more.

Dear CBMman,

I just wanted to let you know that I've no new information from our mobile developers so far.

I'll request a status update and make sure to follow up as soon as I can.

• Like 1

Dear CBMman,

Thank you for taking the time to follow up.

This is good news, I'm still waiting for some more information from our mobile developers.

Please let me know if the issue comes back again after switching on the notification access for Emsisoft Mobile Security.

In the meanwhile, if I can assist please do not hesitate to contact me.

Hello CBMman,

Our mobile developers were not able to find an issue and there are no known problems with Emsisoft Mobile Security on older Samsung devices.

Even if not the highest probability, if the issue should come back, they recommend removing All-In-One-Toolbox. The app does stop running tasks, also has a battery optimizer feature, which can also stop mobile security features, boot optimizer (which disables startup apps), etc.

I hope the problem does not come back. If so, please do not hesitate to contact us again so that we can investigate deeper.