Bernd

Ubuntu Bash on Windows 10 and Firewall

Hi,

I haven't been able to allow the new Ubuntu Bash to connect to the Internet, without disabling the Firewall.

With disabled firewall it works.

How can I configure the firewall to allow Ubuntu to connect without disabling the Firewall?

Are all programs executed through the Bash shell not able to connect, or are you just having trouble with certain commands?

Lets try getting some debug logs:

• Open Emsisoft Internet Security from the icon on your desktop.
  • In the 4 little gray boxes at the bottom, move your mouse into the one that says Support, and click anywhere in that gray box.
  • At the bottom, turn on the option that says Enable advanced debug logging.
  • Either click on Overview in the menu at the top, or close the Emsisoft Internet Security window.
  • Reproduce the issue you are having with programs running from Bash not being able to access the Internet.
  • Once you have reproduced the issue, open Emsisoft Internet Security again, and click on the gray box for Support again.
  • Click on the button that says Send an email.
  • Select the logs in the left that show today's dates.
  • Fill in the e-mail contact form with your name, your e-mail address, and a description of what the logs are for (if possible please leave a link to the topic on the forums that the logs are related to in your message).
  • If you have any screenshots or another file that you need to send with the logs, then you can click the Attach file button at the bottom (only one file can be attached at a time).
  • Click on Send now at the bottom once you are ready to send the logs.
Important: Please be sure to turn debug logging back off after sending us the logs. There are some negative effects to having debug logging turned on, such as reduced performance and wasting hard drive space, and it is not recommended to leave debug logging turned on for a long period of time unless it is necessary to collect debug logs.

Please note that if you have a lot of debugs logs, then you should not send all of them. There is a size limit, and currently there is no error if the message is rejected due to the size being too large. Normally we only need one copy of the 4 or 5 different logs that have been saved after the time you reproduced the issue (the list shows what time each log was saved). Those logs have the following names:

• Security Center
  • Protection Service
  • Real-Time Protection
  • Firewall
  • Logs database (contains the logs you can view in Emsisoft Internet Security by clicking on Logs at the top of the window).

Is there any solution to this? I have the same problem. Tried to exclude both bash.exe and lxrun.exe in firewall rules, but still can't connect. Switched to Windows Firewall for now, but it's far from convenient.

There is none that I am aware of. You can try our version 12 beta to see if it is fixed yet, however as far as I know it has yet to be fixed.

Here's how to turn on Beta updates:

• Open Emsisoft Internet Security.
  • Click on Settings in the menu at the top.
  • Click on Updates in the menu at the top.
  • On the left, under Update Settings, click on the box to the right of Update feed and select Beta from the list.
  • Click on the Update now button on the right side.

You can read more about the version 12 beta at this link.

I was just taking to our QA Manager, and this issue has not yet been resolved. The feature is, if I am not mistaken, still in alpha, so there's no guarantee that it is even going to be in its current condition when it releases.

I was just taking to our QA Manager, and this issue has not yet been resolved. The feature is, if I am not mistaken, still in alpha, so there's no guarantee that it is even going to be in its current condition when it releases.

According to Microsoft it is "beta", not "alpha". Would be great to get support for this in the Emsisoft Firewall!

Your developers might also be interested in this blog post describing the WSL Networking.

The feature was in alpha in October. ;)

Even if the feature is in beta now, Microsoft is well known for making changes at the last minute before publishing a stable version that breaks compatibility with existing software (they have gotten particularly bad about it with Windows 10), and developers are getting a bit apprehensive about publishing software that supports alpha or beta features in Microsoft software. The odds are unfortunately pretty good that if we were to add support for this Linux subsystem in Windows based on the current implementation, that Microsoft would simply change the implementation in some way to break our support for it, and our developers would have to rush to fix it.