HAWKI

No Updates for Two Days ?

HI :-)

A few minutes ago my EMIS Icon turned red. Opened the GUI and it said I had not updated my signatures in 2 days and  an unusually large download started.

I can assure you that the issue was not caused by my rock-solid internet connection, as I am online 16 hours a day and I do not turn my PC off ever.

Has never happened in the two years I have been using EMIS.

I have my updates scheduled to update every 30 minutes.

I am on East Coast USA.

Any explanation?

I am also on the East Coast USA and I just checked my updates and they are spot on, so it has to be local to you.  PS I am in DC so we aren't all that far.

I am also on the East Coast USA and I just checked my updates and they are spot on, so it has to be local to you.  PS I am in DC so we aren't all that far.

Thanks  Peter :-)

My updates have been and are "spot on" also, with this one exception.

I assume it was just "one of those things" one-offs. I am not at all concerned about it. EMIS has been so consistently reliable, I was shocked and I was just curious WTF caused it .

I follow security forums, as well as the forums of several different security program publishers, e.g., KIS, Norton Security, BitDefender, and I know that EMIS has been in a class by itself in many ways, including reliability and freedom from issues, or causing problems or conflicts. That's why I was so surprised.

"It was just one of those things

Just one of those crazy flings

One of those bells that now and then rings

Just one of those things"

Cole Porter, 1935

Do the update logs show the updates failing, or do they show no attempts to check for updates?

Do the update logs show the updates failing, or do they show no attempts to check for updates?

Hi :-)

The Update Logs show no attempts or failed attempts. It happened one more time after my OP, but that last one coincided with a problem with my "rock solid" (LOL) internet connection which dropped my download speed from 120m Mbps to 2-5 Mbps with a similar drop in upload speeds so that one may be due to my attempt to connect with the server timing out. (That problem was so bad my ISP couldn't even detect my modem). Would the log indicate that? I guess there is a possibility that my connnectivity problem started on the 12th, but I don't think so since the problem staring on 13th was very obvious, though it might have been a gradual deterioration.

Here are three consecutive lines from my log (times omitted) Because of the times of the updates the second failure did not trigger a two day warning.

Auto Update ------ 8/14/16

Manual Update -- 8/12/16

Auto Update -------8/9/16

Thinking maybe to just chalk this one up to my connectivity issue.

If an update has started, but wasn't able to finish for some reason, then an error would be in the log. If there's missing entries in the update log, then that suggests that it didn't check for updates. It is possible for this to happen if something causes the update process to freeze, and it is possible for it to happen if Game Mode gets turned on for some reason.

If an update has started, but wasn't able to finish for some reason, then an error would be in the log. If there's missing entries in the update log, then that suggests that it didn't check for updates. It is possible for this to happen if something causes the update process to freeze, and it is possible for it to happen if Game Mode gets turned on for some reason.

Hmmmm....

I didn't even know there was a game mode. Wondering what caused the process to freeze.

That's assuming the update process did freeze. Currently there are no known reasons why that could happen, so Game Mode might be a more likely culprit.