Quirky

Import/Export settings multiple files?

Hello, noticed that exporting the settings creates not one, but five .ini and a .dat file. Is the correct import procedure to import all of them, one by one? Thanks.

I successfully imported the whitelist but not my application rules (located in a2rules.ini). I have moved some of these applications so the target locations for some app rules are no longer valid, could this be the cause of the problem? Most of them did not move though.

And a related question... what happens to such redundant rules? For example, when a program is uninstalled or when portable applications are moved as above? Does EIS somehow clean these rules up or are they a source of clutter? Thanks.

There is currently a bug that can prevent importing of Application Rules. Those may need to be recreated manually.

Rules for applications that are no longer at the path specified in the rule should be automatically removed.

• Upvote 1

Ok thanks. Are any of these files not related to user-configured settings, and best left alone during import for example in a new Windows installation?

Only a2settings.ini is related to user configured settings. The rest are for things like Application Rules (a2rules.ini), exclusions (a2whitelist.ini), scheduled scans and updates (a2scheduler.ini), and for EIS I would believe that "a2policies.ini" is the firewall rules. a2policies.ini and a2whitelist.ini should be empty if you have not added exclusions or changed the firewall rules from defaults.

Technically it isn't recommended to import any of these files on a computer they were not created on. a2settings.ini should be OK if you want to continue using the same license key, but you really should go in an reactivate it just to make sure you don't have more than one computer using the same license on your key (each computer should use a different license on your key). As for the rest of them, they all contain paths that could be different on different computers.

• Upvote 1