Sign in to follow this  
JustMe

"Enable Guard on System Startup" keeps turning off

The last week or so after a reboot I will find EAM5 hasn't loaded and the "Enable guard on System Startup" is unchecked in the 'Configuration:General'... I can re-check it but it eventually unchecks itself again.

Anyone else or just me?

Thanks!

Windows7pro 64bit

...Anyone else or just me?
Hi JustMe,

"... or just me"? ;)

On win 7 x64 that was the case with previous version(s), despite I did not need to check uncheck anything - the Reboot was "the cure".

That was approximately at the the same time we both had troubles with Comodo Firewall... that seems to be fixed now

I cannot see any problems as you described with the latest 5.0.0.68

whether using stable or beta

Sure I will report in case the similar will be encountered

Cheers!

Open task manager and see how many iexplore.exe processes are running. With a-squared running I have 2-3 iexplore.exe's running. With a-squared off only one. Conflict with IE8?

Hi rscott521, welcome to the forum

Many instances of IE most likely not related to EAM

(we don't call it "a-squared" any more ;) )

IE starts with 2 processes straight away ... any Tab is a new process that is how it's designed

But if you see any other misbehavior it is better to create new request

As for this particular request here in addition please see

http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/2524-anti-maware-hangs-windows-7/

& reply #3 where "Enable Guard on System Startup" is mentioned as well.

It seems the problems raised in both threads are related

As developers posted they are addressing the issue and it is under investigation

My regard

Hey Lynx, thanks for the welcome. The computer I'm am on right now the EAM will not start automatically like it used to. With it off I have zero issues with web page hang ups and non responsiveness. If I start it from the desktop icon then I will eventually have to do a hard restart. My other computer, which is where I first started having problems was a dual boot machine=XP & Vista. Now I have reinstalled XP (2 times) thinking I had a virus. The first reinstall I installed EAM and the problems returned. Now on the 2nd reinstall and no EAM=no issues. Soooo I'm just waiting on a fix. EAM is the only safeguard product I like so I hope they can find a fix soon.

My machine: http://www.evga.com/modsrigs/detail.aspx?BuildID=16476

My backup machine: http://www.evga.com/modsrigs/detail.aspx?BuildID=11630

... If I start it from the desktop icon then I will eventually have to do a hard restart...
Thanks for reply, rscott521

As it was posted in this and the referred thread the system including firing up any browser may end up in irresponsiveness and freezing.

The manual start of EAM & subsequent hard restart was mentioned in my reply as well

You just confirmed that it is happening on XP too

So, we have to wait for the answers from the developers first

My regards

Hey guys! Well I tried updating 3 times but kept getting the same issue so I uninstalled everything related to EAM/A-squared and cleand with ccleaner. After reinstall and updates all works great! Thanks for getting this fixed. Back to normal :D

hi !

i have also noticed a2guard.exe not starting automatically,

it has happened several times the last few days.

i have not noticed any unmarked settings under "Configuration / Guard settings",

but i have not looked for it...

i just click on the main EAM-icon on my desktop which starts a2start.exe, then a2guard.exe starts.

i have also had some other "weird" problems,

so i thought those were causing my a2guard-problems,

it´s good to see that i´m not alone with this problem.

...i have not noticed any unmarked settings under "Configuration / Guard settings",

but i have not looked for it...

Hi hackerman1,

Have you tried the suggested steps? That should work

The option is under Configuration > General Tab

Manual startup will work for the current session .. but most importantly you are not protected during Reboot (where "things" may happen) if said feature is not working

After the Reboot you should see the icon in the SysTray or among those inside the "Notification Area" (depends on what OS you are using)

My regards

p.s. Please provide more detailed information about your System Environment as in Forum Posting Rules #2)

A friend of mine using Win 7 64bit is also experiencing the same issue with the Guard not starting, though his system is also freezing when he starts it manually, even after the updates. He is going to uninstall and download the latest version and try that.

hi !

Hi hackerman1,

no, i have not tried "the suggested steps", as i just read about this problem here in the forum....

i know where the setting is under "Configuration"...

i said: "i have not noticed any unmarked settings under "Configuration / Guard settings",

but i have not looked for it..."

i meant that it could have been unmarked, i don´t know since i have not checked that setting every time a2guard.exe didn´t start normally.

i only checked that setting the last 2-3 times a2guard.exe didn´t start, and those times it was MARKED.

Manual startup will work for the current session .. but most importantly you are not protected during Reboot (where "things" may happen) if said feature is not working

After the Reboot you should see the icon in the SysTray or among those inside the "Notification Area" (depends on what OS you are using)

not protected ?

you are basically right, since a2guard.exe isn´t running.

but, i´m also running MSE v2-beta, so i´m not in any real danger during startup... B)

i have now reinstalled EAM, and tested it by rebooting several times, now everything is back to normal.

p.s. Please provide more detailed information about your System Environment as in Forum Posting Rules #2)

why should i post "detailed information about my System Environment" when i´m only making a comment about also having noticed the problem with a2guard.exe myself ? :rolleyes:

but of course, that information is useful if i ask for help....

hi !

Hi hackerman1,

no, i have not tried "the suggested steps", as i just read about this problem here in the forum....

i said: "i have not noticed any unmarked settings under "Configuration / Guard settings",

i meant that it could have been unmarked, i don´t know since i have not checked that setting every time a2guard.exe didn´t start normally.

i only checked that setting the last 2-3 times a2guard.exe didn´t start, and those times it was MARKED.

not protected ?

but, i´m also running MSE v2-beta, so i´m not in any real danger during startup... B)

i have now reinstalled EAM, and tested it by rebooting several times, now everything is back to normal.

why should i post "detailed information about my System Environment" when i´m only making a comment about also having noticed the problem with a2guard.exe myself ? :rolleyes:

but of course, that information is useful if i ask for help,

then of course i´ll post all relevant information...

FYI, i´m using W7-Enterprise 32-bit, MSE v2-beta, Online Armor-Premium.

hi !

Hi hackerman1,

not protected ?

FYI, i´m using W7-Enterprise 32-bit, EAM, MSE v2-beta & Online Armor-Premium.

Thanks for reply ,hackerman1 and for adding information

Yes that is why it is important because there could be system conflicts especially when you are using additional layers of security.

The developers can check when they know the sys Setup / give advices / and probably fix something if the conflict confirmed

not protected ?

Yes that's what I meant - "on Reboot" - in popular the point is - it should be active ASAP

I hope that there are no conflicts with MSE. I know that many are running it in conjunction with other security. At the same time officially that is not recommended by MS (at least that was their *important note* that I was reading)... see

Thanks for letting us know

We are glad to hear that :)

Cheers!

P.S. OffTopic:

I am not using MSE since as far as I know they will automatically quarantine what they consider being a "high risk" and there is no option to change that. (I was not looking into that matter recently, though, so my info could be out-dated)

Yep, it's official: I'm "suffering" from this problem as well (see my other post)

"Enable Guard on system startup" is disabled again after boot...

A friend of mine using Win 7 64bit is also experiencing the same issue with the Guard not starting, though his system is also freezing when he starts it manually, even after the updates. He is going to uninstall and download the latest version and try that.

He downloaded the latest installation file last night, uninstalled EAM, installed the latest and everything now seems to be working properly.

Thanks for reply ,hackerman1 and for adding information

Yes that is why it is important because there could be system conflicts especially when you are using additional layers of security.

The developers can check when they know the sys Setup / give advices / and probably fix something if the conflict confirmed

Yes that's what I meant - "on Reboot" - in popular the point is - it should be active ASAP

I hope that there are no conflicts with MSE. I know that many are running it in conjunction with other security. At the same time officially that is not recommended by MS (at least that was their *important note* that I was reading)... see

Thanks for letting us know

We are glad to hear that :)

Cheers!

P.S. OffTopic:

I am not using MSE since as far as I know they will automatically quarantine what they consider being a "high risk" and there is no option to change that. (I was not looking into that matter recently, though, so my info could be out-dated)

yes, 2 A/V´s can conflict with each other, but i have not noticed any with MSE, and i have been running MSE a long time together with EAM.

i have also used MSE v2-beta together with EAM, no problems detected until the last few days...

FYI, i have set "Fileguard" to "Scan on Execution", i have not (yet) tested the other 2 settings together with MSE.

MSE doesn´t have any option to "Ignore" a detected file, which is VERY stupid !

it´s the "old" Microsoft-mentality: "Microsoft ALWAYS knows what is best..."

i previously had to reinstall software because MSE quarantined it. :angry:

and i have checked that file on Virustotal, so i KNOW it´s a "False positive".

but is was easily fixed, i also got a never version... :D

but there is a way to "Ignore":

1. let MSE quarantine the detected file(s)

2. restore the file(s) from the quarantine

it works, i used it yesterday. :D

btw. i don´t understand why there are 3 posts from me, above ?

i edited my post #14 2 times but instead 2 new post were added. ?!

could you please delete #14 & #15 ?

#16 is correct.

Thanks for the reply & info, hackerman1

Since the discussion about MSE is Offtopic. I will try to find time and PM your

Just a short remark re:

...MSE doesn´t have any option to "Ignore" a detected file, which is VERY stupid !...i previously had to reinstall software because MSE quarantined it. :angry:
1st, that applies to “high risk” flaggings only (thanks God) as far as I know...

There were cases of disaster because of that, as you described.

Finally, the “restoring from the quarantine” cannot be considered as a some kinda “Ignore method" by any means.

The point is – you may not recover your system after such action was performed by the security where false positively flagged vital system components were jailed.

My regards

hi !

i might have found a few "suspect" updates...

as i mentioned above i have had some problems lately, i have had an errormessage about Online Armor Miniport: "Device driver not installed" & a2guard.exe has not started normally.

so i´ve have restored my system from a backup.

i created a system restore point and then i have installed the recent updates from Windows update, a few at a time.

yesterday after i had i installed 2 of the last 4 updates,

i got the OA-problem again, i tried to uninstall those 2 updates, but it didn´t help so i restored my system to the point before all the updates.

i decided to start over again, i have installed the recent updates from Windows update, in groups of five at a time, creating new system restore points before every installation-group.

i have then tested: rebooting, hibernate, & sleep, several times,

everything worked normally, no problem was detected.

last night after i had installed the last 4 updates, i got the OA-problem again.

i restored my system, i then installed just one of the last four updates, and everything was back to normal.

just as before everything worked normally, no problem was detected.

i then selected "sleep" and went to bed to get some myself. :D

but today, after starting my computer (recovering from sleep),

it was unresponsive, fx. Firefox didn´t respond & when i tried to start device manager,

i got an errormessage telling me i didn´t "have right to access..."

i tried to shutdown, it shutdown all running programs and the screen turned black, but then nothing happened so i turned off the power manually by removing the power cable.

when i started my computer again, there was no EAM-icon in the taskbar,

i started taskmanager, a2guard.exe wasn´t running, i then started EAM and

guess what ?

now "Enable Guard on system startup" was UNMARKED !

the first 2 "suspect" updates was:

Update for Windows 7 (KB2272691)

Update for Windows 7 (KB982110)

the last installed "suspect" update was:

"Update for Internet Explorer 8 Compatibility View List for Windows 7 (KB982664)

this looks very weird, but now after restoring my system to the point before this last update, everything is working normally again, both OA & EAM.

i´m going to test rebooting, hibernate, & sleep, several times for the next few hours, will be very interesting to see what happens...

Thanks a lot for the report, hackerman1

You are doing a great job!

I'm sure that the developers will find that very helpful

There were never doubts that MS Patches can do damage to the system (security Software included)

I do not have any problems currently though on Win 7 x64 in conjunction with MS updates

If you still have the “Guard startup” issue even after reinstalling the system & EAM on win 7- most likely the developers, will need more specific information. I hope they will request that.

At the same time, I fixed 6 applications already because of 3 recent MS updates on XP Pro

At the moment I cannot fix the Behavioural Blocker (BB) neither for EAM nor for Mamutu (the latter module is completely inoperable on XP Pro and there was a similar report by another user)The BB component, was working perfectly and the same way as on Win 7

That is not easy to reproduce in Lab conditions, so we have to be patient

My regards

Hi,

Accidentally posted this in the wrong place, in the win7 x64 header, sorry..

I have the same issue, running xp sp3, EAM and OA, all up to date and licensed for 2 years, though I have to say in my case it's definitely intermittent. No probs otherwise, so I'll keep an eye on postings here..

Regards

Thanks a lot for the report, hackerman1

You are doing a great job!

thanks !

I'm sure that the developers will find that very helpful

There were never doubts that MS Patches can do damage to the system (security Software included)

yes, MS-updates CAN cause problems, thats´s exactly why it takes time for MS to release their updates, because they need to check that the update doesn´t cause NEW problems.

If you still have the “Guard startup” issue even after reinstalling the system & EAM on win 7- most likely the developers, will need more specific information. I hope they will request that.

yes, i have updated (reinstalled) EAM, as posted above.

I have separate partitions for "O/S", “Programs” and “Documents & Media”.

it´s much faster that way, it takes only 14 minutes, with an old IDE-disk...

when i restored the backup i only restored W7, so the problem with "Enable Guard on startup" WAS with EAM updated.

yesterday i installed another one of the last 4 remaining updates,

i have tested rebooting, hibernate & sleep, no problems detected (yet).

i´m going to install yet another update tomorrow....

btw. 1 of those 2 "suspect" updates i mentioned in my previous post is totally unneeded on my system,

it´s for 32-bit programs running on a 64-bit system.

i´m running W7-32, so why should i install that ?

it makes no sense, especialy as it seems to cause problems...

please don´t get me wrong when i say i´m running EAM & MSE v2-beta...

i have used a2/EAM as my ONLY realtimeprotection-A/V for months, and i have scanned my disks several times with MSE, Avira, Avast, MBAM.

none of them has detected any sh*t on my computer, so a2/EAM is doing it´s job !

the only thing any A/V has detected are a few FP´s,

and i KNOW they were FP´s, because i´ve checked all of them on VirusTotal...

i only installed MSE v2-beta because i wanted to see how it works together with EAM.

i have noticed a 1-2 seconds delay with fx. Firefox "not responding" a few times, but all those "application not responding" have dissapeared now.

it might have something to do with the last MS-update yesterday, but can also be because yesterday i added "exceptions" in both MSE & EAM for each other.

it's been happening to me the last day or so again after a long period of itstaying on... after reboot EAM Guard doesn't start and inside the Configuration:General "Enable Guard on system startup" is unchecked.

Hi JustMe,

Please provide more detailed information about your System Environment as in Forum Posting Rules #2)

or

use it in your signature, so you are not asked repeatedly

In addition, are you using recent beta or the stable?

That is not happening here neither with beta nor with the stable

therefore more detailed info needed

Cheers!

... Configuration:General "Enable Guard on system startup" is unchecked.

I usually check the configuration of EAM after an update and I saw the same thing. This really needs to be sorted out.

after having experienced some problems i recently restored my system-backup,

and then started reinstalling all security-updates from Microsoft again.

as before (see above) a few at a time, after i had installed the first 5,

guard.exe wasn´t running after reboot, i checked the settings, and it was once again UNMARKED.

so one of those 5 updates turned off the "File Guard" !

i changed the settings to "ON", and it has stayed on since then.

i´m going to remove those 5 updates, just to see what happens.

then i´m going to restore my backup again, and reinstall 1 of those 5 updates at a time,

so i can find which update it is....

Please provide more detailed information about your System Environment as in Forum Posting Rules #2)

or

same as the first post that started this thread....

win7pro 64bit

stable release no beta

and at the time only EAM5 and Online Armor Firewall were installed (Ive added back avg to cover when it doesnt startup after a reboot ;) )

Thanks for the replies Guys,

JustMe, I was reporting that behavior in the past too, but I am not experiencing this issue currently on Win 7 x64

That is all I am saying & definitely if you, Guys are having it -

there is no doubts that it's the case

I'm sure the developers will address the problem

Cheers all!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

same as the first post that started this thread....

win7pro 64bit

stable release no beta

and at the time only EAM5 and Online Armor Firewall were installed (Ive added back avg to cover when it doesnt startup after a reboot ;) )

you can use MSE as backup, it also works well together with EAM.

i´m currently using EAM & MSE v2-beta together.

one simple workaround, put (a link to) guard.exe in your "Start-folder", then it runs when you reboot.