brau

emsisoft firewall

hi, sorry about my noob question, but i install emsisoft internet security today and all is on and ok , and in windows security central all is ok .

i know windows firewall is off when firewall emsisoft is on , but if i look in windows firewall the first message say firewall windows is not using the recomended configurations,

should i just ignore this message? cause now i use firewall from emsisot internet security , like in the picture above this post

ps.sorry my bad english

post-44009-0-37223600-1473115081_thumb.png
Download Image

should i just ignore this message? ...

Yes, you can. As long as the firewall in Emsisoft Internet Security is turned on, then the Windows Firewall can remain off.

This is one fairly important 'bug' that Microsoft seems to be ignoring for years I think, don't know why. As brau said, if a 3rd party firewall is installed, the Security and Maintenance window will correctly report that everything is ok. The Windows Firewall should be turned off at this point (it should turn off automatically during the installation of another firewall, like EIS).

But... if you then go to the Windows Firewall settings, you will see:

post-42217-0-45687700-1473719358_thumb.jpg
Download Image

...and the even more alarming, red-danger-only window:

post-42217-0-91368200-1473719382_thumb.jpg
Download Image

So, the terrified user presses the big, shiny "Use recommended settings" button. The system should be fine now, right?

post-42217-0-18339800-1473719512_thumb.jpg
Download Image

Not at all. Go back to Security and Maintenance (there is no notification or warning btw) and this is what's really happening:

post-42217-0-71218100-1473719726_thumb.jpg
Download Image

:wacko:

Unfortunately Windows isn't always clear with its descriptions/warnings/etc. Fortunately the Windows Firewall shouldn't actually cause any problems with EIS, just in case anyone does turn it back on to satisfy those scary warnings that Windows shows them. ;)

Unfortunately Windows isn't always clear with its descriptions/warnings/etc. Fortunately the Windows Firewall shouldn't actually cause any problems with EIS, just in case anyone does turn it back on to satisfy those scary warnings that Windows shows them. wink.png

Not only that, but for me, if not for all Windows 10 users, until the last Windows 10 cumulative update before the anniversary update, Windows Update would always fail unless Windows Firewall was enabled and running. I discovered this fix only through trial and error after many hours of anger and frustration at being unable to install any Windows updates for a couple of months. Once the Windows Firewall was enabled, Windows Updates would successfully download and install.

That problem went away somewhere around June.

Microsoft has had some weird firewall related issues in recent years. Reminds me of the issue where you couldn't install Windows Store apps on Windows 8.1 when the Windows Firewall was off.