Peter2150

CLOSED Update issue

Went to install V12 on my 2nd win7 x64 Desktop.    Total failure.  I spent three hours and couldn't get the update to work.  Kept getting server connection failure.

All attempts result in the same thing failure to connect to the server, check my connect.   Connection is good.     Spent 3 hours trying to  get it to update.  No success, hence Total failure                                                    

Hi Frank

Boy I was surprised tonight.   Since V12 has been fine on my test desktop and my Thinkpad, I expected the same on the 2nd desktop given the same software load.   No love.   Uninstalled V11 and ran the clean up utility.   Installed 12 with the installer from above.  Install went fine, update went fine, so rebooted.  Came up to the log in screen.  After entering password it went to the welcome screen and hung the system.  Tried several reboots, and also a power down and reboot.   I never got to the desktop.   Had to restore the system to recover.

What do you want me to do next?

Pete

Hi Pete,

I recall an issue with Intell display drivers. Could you confirm that these have been installed on that machine ?

If yes, you could try to install v12, disable File Guard and reboot, if that fixes the issue it probably is the issue as described above.

If not pls provide us a full memdump of that machine, after the hung.

you can read here how: https://helpdesk.emsisoft.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/203/1/how-to-cause-a-controlled-blue-screen

thanks

Hi Frank

I think my drivers are nvidia, but nothing to lose, I'll try it first and then get the memdump.   Can't do it until later today.  Thanks

Pete

Frank, meet Mr Murphy,   Mr Murphy meet Frank.  Once again Murphy's law strikes.

1.  I unstalled V11 as ususall

2.  I installed the new installer you gave me the new link for

3.  During the install the update failed with the Failure to connect to the server error.

4.  I let the install finish.  With the warning I wasn't protected with out updating, I let it update.  Update went fine.

5.  Before trying any of the above fixes I decided try a reboot first.  I prepared with a disk image

6.  Reboot went fine this time, and at this point all is well.   Ain't computers fun.

As a side note, I tested the firewall LAN functions, and again all is well.

Looking good.

Pete

Well the latest beta is fine on my test desktop, but on my business desktop which is the one I've had problems with, not so fine.  Totally locked up during logging in.  Never got to the desktop. Since I hadn't done the last backup of the day, I just uninstalled in safe mode. Since this is the busiest time of the month for me I can't afford problems during this time.  It will probably be at least a week before I can look at it.  So for now it's back to v11

Hi Frank

After our private chat, I've re installed V12 on 2nd desktop, with auto updates off, and just updating after a backup.   It's working well.  Latest beta went on without a hitch.

Pete