rt1

My mobile app won't unlock using Emsisoft anti-theft

I am sorry if this isn't the right place to post, but I sent a message to your support staff, too. I was testing out your mobile app, and locked my phone using my.emsisoft.com. The phone locked, but it won't unlock even when I am using the correct pin. I get the Android "Enter Pin" screen. I originally had a pin lock set, but there seems to have been some conflict between Emsisoft's lock and the original pin lock. Now both of them don't work.I am completely locked out, so if there is some way for your to unlock my device on your end, please help me. My device ID is SM-G720N0. I can send my email address and pin by email. Please advise.

I logged into Android device manager and locked my phone to try to reset the pin lock. Doing this "woke up" the Emsisoft anti-theft screen. I entered my pin and bypassed Emsisoft anti-theft. However, now for some reason ADM is not unlocking regardless of how many times I try to reset the password.... Anyway, I might have to try wiping it if nothing else works.

There seems like there is a bug with ADM with some version of Android. So, I was locked out. Anyway, I just wiped the device and have to start over again. Please pass these messages onto your Android developers because there was some conflict between your application and the basic "Enter Pin" lock screen on Android. I hope nobody else has these problems.

Dear rt1,

Thank you for your request and for keeping us informed here.

I've just replied to your support request in our helpdesk where a little bit less information about the problem was given.

Obviously as you've already wiped your device the instructions there cannot be helpful at all. Thank you for reporting the problem, I'll inform our developers so that they can try to reproduce.

If I can assist any further please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thanks for your reply and email. The problem was not my password (pin). I was entering that correctly, and I reconfirmed everything several times at my.emisoft.com. The problem was that the Emisoft anti-theft screen was being blocked, so I couldn't access it to enter my pin. The strange thing was that I did not give Android Device Manager administrative permission, but I was still able to use my Google account to try to relock/reset the lock on the standard Android "Enter Pin" screen. Doing this finally caused the Emsisoft anti-theft login screen to appear. I entered my pin and bypassed Emsisoft anti-theft. However, the next problem was that Android Device Manager wasn't working right on my phone, so I was still locked out! Anyway, it was a bad experience, but I had my important data backed up, so wiping the phone seemed like the "fastest" solution, although not elegant by any means.

Android is making progress, but it is still a buggy platform. I know this from just observing how the same app runs differently on different versions of Android. I am using Android 4.4.4, if you want to try to reproduce the bug. For all I know, the app might work fine on other versions.

Hello rt1,

Thank you for your feedback and clarification.

I'm sorry that you encountered such circumstances. When I first saw your request in our helpdesk I was not aware of all this information and I needed to make sure the password displayed for your device in the online portal matches the one you are trying to enter.

I can see the dilemma you are describing and I'll pass your information to our developers so that they can try to reproduce the situation somehow. They've different devices with various Android versions available and maybe it can help to improve the code somehow and prevent others from being stuck in a similar situation.

In the end I'm glad you were able to manage the situation and thank you for sharing your experience with us.