M.Sadegh.M

CLOSED EIS hang when try to stop scan

Hi M.Sadegh.M,

We are already aware of this and working hard to fix. I added your logs report to our tracker. Could you please reach more logs for us? This is a different type of log and can be enabled by using a file i sent you via PM. Please extract the content of the zip and execute the file inside. A key in the registry will be created. After that please restart your computer and try to reproduce the problem again.

Log is called "ScanEngineDebug.log" that sits in your Emsisoft Anti-Malware/Emsisoft Internet Security folder. This log would be really usefull to us.

Thank you!

Orlando

Hello Orlando

I added registry key and tried to reproduce issue.

but as you see in picture there wasn't "ScanEngineDebug.log" you mentioned in "C:\ProgramData\Emsisoft" folder.

Look in C\Program Files\Emsisoft

Hi again, 

This kind of log sits in your Emsisoft Internet Security folder: C:\Program Files\Emsisoft Internet Security

NOTE: if you have already restarted the computer, please reproduce again and send, as at each computer restart, log will be resetted.

Thank you,

Orlando

Hello

Today I tried to reproduced issue again, but I faced with an interesting case.

I was forced try more than one time to reproduce issue, because scan stopped without any problem but at the end I was able to re-create the problem.

Another difference: as you saw in video, EIS hung completely, but this time just stop button didn't any response.other part work correctly (edit rule, log, etc).

Even "on scan compilation" button also acted correctly.

After about 15 minutes later, I stopped  scan from task manager.

The report was attached.

If you need more reports, let me know.

ScanEngineDebug.zip

Hi M.Sadegh.M,

Could you please try with version 12.0.0.6791 BETA ?

This issue should be fixed.

Orlando

Hello Orlando,

Please watch attached video. interesting case, is happening end of the video. :mellow:

Logs attached.

Thank you.

Video&Logs.zip

EAM/EIS was still in the enumeration phase and the scan hasn't even started yet at that point. Therefore it can neither be paused nor stopped. Your stop request is queued though which will cause the scan to be stopped on the next opportunity. In general both the stop and pause function are not intended to work immediately. They are requests to the scan engine to perform these actions at the next opportune moment. The reason for that is that the scan engine needs to make sure things will be cleaned up properly and you don't stop it while it is holding important locks for example which could cause freezes. So in general it will always finish what it is doing at the moment (like finish scanning the files it working on for example, or finish obtaining the list of objects to scan) before it will actually adhere to the requests. I suggest to better reflect that inside the GUI we should disable the controls after they have been pressed once (at least in case of the stop) so people don't spam buttons.

EAM/EIS was still in the enumeration phase and the scan hasn't even started yet at that point. Therefore it can neither be paused nor stopped. Your stop request is queued though which will cause the scan to be stopped on the next opportunity. In general both the stop and pause function are not intended to work immediately. They are requests to the scan engine to perform these actions at the next opportune moment. The reason for that is that the scan engine needs to make sure things will be cleaned up properly and you don't stop it while it is holding important locks for example which could cause freezes. So in general it will always finish what it is doing at the moment (like finish scanning the files it working on for example, or finish obtaining the list of objects to scan) before it will actually adhere to the requests. I suggest to better reflect that inside the GUI we should disable the controls after they have been pressed once (at least in case of the stop) so people don't spam buttons.

Dear Mr. Wosar,

your answer is compelling and explain everything clearly. ^_^

Thank you. :lol: