Quirky

CLOSED Suggestion: delay updates during startup

As in v11, I've noticed that EIS performs its auto-updates (signatures and software updates) during system startup. While it makes sense to do this as soon as possible, in practice it causes problems on older systems and even newer systems with slow HDD drives (many laptops).

There's too much hard disk activity during startup (especially with several programs present in the startup list) and the system can become unresponsive (even unusable) for some time (usually short, but still an issue). EIS can add a significant amount of HDD activity during startup.

My suggestion is to add a small delay and perform these updates after the startup sequence is well complete (similar to the "Automatic/Delayed Start" option found in Windows Services).

It could be added as a performance option, close to "Activate memory usage optimization" for example. I don't believe it would be a security issue to delay the updates for 1-2 minutes or so.

• Upvote 1

I don't get the updates at boot on my Win 10 or Win 7 machines, it's a minute or so after desktop is loaded.

Perhaps you get them at boot because you have Fast Boot enabled?

I guess you mean Fast Startup - does having it on or off make any difference on when EIS installs its updates? I never noticed any, it always seems to update during startup whether FS is on or off but I could be wrong.

I usually have it enabled and this is the default Windows 10 setting anyway (Fast Startup=enabled) so the issue still needs to be addressed, regardless of the Fast Startup status.

I turn Fast Startup off because I'm not interested in saving a few seconds at the 'pretend' boot :) 

I prefer to sacrifice that for a real cold boot so I know for instance that any logging I do will stop when I shut down and things get properly disconnected.

Devs may have a comment on this I guess.

Hi CBMan,

Thank you for your suggestion. As the idea seems fair to me, I added your suggestion in our tracker. Will be discussed soon and then we will decide if discard or work on it.

Thanks again,
Orlando

• Upvote 2

Orlando are you saying that this suggestion will, if accepted, be rolled out to everyone?

I already have the update at boot delay and wouldn't like to think that the delay may be extended.

I think Emsi updates at boot when Fast Start is enabled because it ''thinks'' it has missed an update during the time it has been ''turned off/in hybrid sleep'' mode.

I know you have to care for the majority in this case (people who have Fast Start enabled) but please also consider the people who don't have, or want, Fast Start enabled :)

Hi Stapp,

Each feedback will be reviewed by the project manager and by the team that will (in case) make modifications to give to our users the best experience possible. So we are pretty far to make conclusions. :)

Thank you,

Orlando

• Upvote 1

Honestly I don't see the need for this.   I always turn my systems on around 8:30, so I simply set the update schedule to update, between, 8:50 and midnight.  End of problem.

Honestly I don't see the need for this.   I always turn my systems on around 8:30, so I simply set the update schedule to update, between, 8:50 and midnight.  End of problem.

Ok, but please understand that we are talking about default/automatic behaviour here that potentially affects several users. You can't expect everyone with a slow or non-SSD hard drive to have to adjust custom update schedules and turn on their PC on a specific time like you do.

This behaviour ocurs even in windows 7, (2 laptops from my Family) causes a delay startup for 1 minute (I mean I can't open nothing due a high Cpu and disk use) , I have to set the update once a day and disable the protection before log in. After the boot and the update the performance is excellent so far.

There is no time when the laptops aren't being used for us and set the scheduled update, so the settings at default affect the performance on that way: at boot.

I think this seeting needs to be considered as I feel I'm afecting the security of my laptops (1 update at day and no protection until the first log in)

Hello every one

I have been using Emsisoft internet security for six months, I noticed this behaviour and it's a problem for me at university, when I turn on my laptop (Windows 7) only to pass one file to USB and is "laggy" until a update is completed, that's why I set it to every 8 hours but it doesn't work if it's the first boot.

I also think that the default settings on boot affect the performance and speccially the option "protect the user even if no user is logged on" I can't use my computer for ~ 2 min (yes I have others programs running at logon but i need them to work) and this didn't happen when others AV's but anyway, except on that the performance is awesome so far when I'm working and playing online games.

Thanks

Hi LinkNaranjo1991,

Sorry for the late reply. We will conside your feedback for the next releases. I will look deeper on the "laggy" problem when updating our software. If you experience a better usage of your computer with "protect the user even if no user is logged on" checkbox disabled, please feel free to do so.

Thanks,

Orlando

I experienced some same issues while updating. When starting skype and was connecting to someone emsisoft was updating... It looked like the animation froze for a few seconds in skype and then the message apeared that emsisoft had updated. After pop-up of the notification skype started and animation in skype were moving again. I use a SSD ;)

I have seen this often by other customers while working on there computers with other programs. It seems there is indeed a lack problem while auto update is installing it's updates(not downloading).

Hi guys, i'd like to jump in here.

We can only make an analysis of this update issue with your debuglogs, FRST logs, windows version, pc configuration,  EAM/EIS settings and other AV installed information.

Does the issue show up when you perform a manual update ? Does the issue show up on every auto-update ? Can you see a relation between module size downloads and the issue ? (check the update logs)

EAM/EIS start updating when CPU load jumps under 20% on windows start, so it should not have any influence on boottime.

I'm happy to start an analysis of this situation as I understand that it can be annoying, but I need your help as required above.

Cheers

I experienced some same issues while updating. When starting skype and was connecting to someone emsisoft was updating... It looked like the animation froze for a few seconds in skype and then the message apeared that emsisoft had updated. After pop-up of the notification skype started and animation in skype were moving again. I use a SSD ;)

I have seen this often by other customers while working on there computers with other programs.

I confirm this issue. when auto update occurred and notification wants jump-out and simultaneous I'm browsing online(reload page, click on a link) or switch between program window, for a moment before notification coming out machine freeze for a seconds and as soon as notification coming out everything go fine.

Hi guys, i'd like to jump in here.

windows version

Hello Frank

I think PC reset points to different issue from main topic subject and better we start new topic.

I experienced it on windows 10(final build).

Does the issue show up when you perform a manual update?

I didn't do manual update till now but I try to check it.

Does the issue show up on every auto-update?

there isn't certain answer to this question. because it's a moment and for experiencing this issue some events must be simultaneous.

Can you see a relation between module size downloads and the issue?

I think there isn't any relation between update size an the issue.

because during a working day when I turn on my PC after first update(that normally occurred 15 hours later than yesterday update) EIS updating 9 times for every one hour.

and I think after first day update the size and module have small size.

Note: if you need any report please don't hesitate and say what kinds of report do you need.

Thank you

I think Emsi updates at boot when Fast Start is enabled because it ''thinks'' it has missed an update during the time it has been ''turned off/in hybrid sleep'' mode.

This seems to be correct, EIS performs the auto-update a little later when Fast Startup is not used. If you could change it to behave like this in Fast Startup mode too, it would be an improvement.

However, as Windows 7 users still experience PC startup delay issues (there is no Fast Startup in W7) it would probably be best to delay the initial auto-update a bit further (for example, 3-5 minutes after startup sounds reasonable).

Hi Guys,

I want to split up the things a little bit and make some order :) We are talking about differente things at same time!

For this thread, please take Frank's words in consideration:

EAM/EIS start updating when CPU load jumps under 20% on windows start, so it should not have any influence on boottime.

If you experience something different than this or if you experience any type of annoying behaviors at start, please open a new thread as could be a bug. We will keep this one as suggestion to improve our sistem.

For anyone had the little os freeze during update (PC Reset, M.Sadegh.M):

I had to experience the same problem, but now I am not able to reproduce anymore, are you? Please consider to open a new thread as this one is off topic here. Add the information Frank asked so we can try to connect dots and find a solutions (FRST log is a must):

We can only make an analysis of this update issue with your debuglogs, FRST logs, windows version, pc configuration,  EAM/EIS settings and other AV installed information.

Does the issue show up when you perform a manual update ? Does the issue show up on every auto-update ? Can you see a relation between module size downloads and the issue ? (check the update logs)

Thank you,

Orlando

We've made an improvement related to high disk I/O during updates which might cause the short freezes/interruptions.

This improvement will be available in the next beta update.

Stay tuned !

• Upvote 1

Hi guys, EAM /EIS beta 12.2 is out. 
If you like to check the improvements we've made related to CPU/IO load during updates, pls switch to the beta feed and let me know your feedback.

thanks a lot

On 12/23/2016 at 3:07 AM, Frank H said:

Hi guys, EAM /EIS beta 12.2 is out. 
If you like to check the improvements we've made related to CPU/IO load during updates, pls switch to the beta feed and let me know your feedback.

thanks a lot

23 hours ago, Orlando Pivi said:

Topic unlocked to let users post their feedbacks.

Hello Frank and Orlando

The problem still there.

I recorded a video for you to clear subject. as you will see in video, I was typing and when update process finished messenger window freeze for a moment, mouse cursors changed to loading and immediately after notification jump out everything goes fine.

Good luck.

PS: I sent the video in PM for Frank.