Alan_S

Where has 'About' gone?

Previous versions of EAM had an 'About' button on the 'Overview' section, under the 'Logs' box.  It's disappeared in version 12 and I haven't been able to find it.  Where is it - or corresponding info - hidden? 

If you want to see the build number all the time on the main GUI.

Where it says under the License.. 'renew for free', hover over 'renew for free' and you will see an X.

Click it and the build number will be permanently displayed.

Not very user friendly I must admit.

If you want to see the build number all the time on the main GUI.

Where it says under the License.. 'renew for free', hover over 'renew for free' and you will see an X.

Click it and the build number will be permanently displayed.

Correct. This is also how it worked in version 11, and I would believe version 10 at well. ;)

This is not good.  I've spent ages searching menus, submenus etc for an 'About' value.  The standard approach in Window apps is that it's either an entry by itself on a context menu (eg from the systray icon) or maybe an entry on the Help menu.   

On the Overview screen, under the Protection area, I see in "Updates" a line that says "Software is uptodate".  But when I hover near that I get "Malware signatures <big number>" which - for me at least - suggests ambiguity.  Did the message "Software is uptodate" mean what it said, or did it just mean that signatures are uptodate?    Why not split the text into two and say whether the software is uptodate (with a pop-up saying software levels) and whether the sigs are uptodate (and a popup about them).     Or if a user clicks on "?" at the top right, offer a submenu that has an "About "option?

Installed the new version today and one of the first things I noted was the About button was no longer there.

So I headed over to the blog and read...New: Emsisoft Anti-Malware 12 – Keeping you safe from ransomware where I found Christian had provided the answer a few days ago in the comments section.

I personally like the new design and use of the product logo to provide version info especially since it is available no matter what menu tab you are looking at.

Great job as always Emsisoft Team.

The problem quietman7 is that finding the version number needs to be quick and obvious for users. The 'about' link in previous versions did that.

We're all entitled to our own opinion, and mine is that usability for people should come first.

I think a good amount of time will be spent on forum, and by the Emsi helpdesk, telling users how to find which version and build they have :)

This is not good.  I've spent ages searching menus, submenus etc for an 'About' value.  The standard approach in Window apps is that it's either an entry by itself on a context menu (eg from the systray icon) or maybe an entry on the Help menu.

It's understandable that there would be some confusion. I've passed a link to this topic on to our QA Manager so that he can look through it. Perhaps there's something that can be done to clarify that the "Emsisoft" name is what you click on for the "About" dialog.