namitutonka

Windows Reporting EIS Turned Off

I wrote a message yesterday that WAC was altering that Emsisoft was turned off during updates but now it all of the time (after a few minutes after booting into system.)

This all started after I updated my trial license to my paid license yesterday.

After I first noticed it,  I uninstalled Emsisoft and reinstalled with new license.  It seemed to do it only during Emsisoft updates after that but I never rebooted after that.

Then today, after booting from a shutdown last night, WAV was showing Emsisoft turned off all the time (after initial boot it showed nothing but a few minutes later it alerted me that Emsisoft was not running.)

Since it has been about a year, I decided to go back to an image of my Windows 7 in case some stray old Emsisoft file was causing this.  That image had Avast Free on it.  I let Avast update while I did other things before uninstalling it and installing Emsisoft.   WAV never once reported Avast was turned off - it was working fine and I was in the system with Avast for several hours this morning.

After I got my refreshed imagine computer fully updated with Windows updates and newer applications,  I uninstalled Avast with its remover software in Safe Mode.  I then booted to regular WIndows mode, and installed Emsisoft.  While Emsisoft was installing, WAC notified my I had no antivirus program.  As soon as Emsisoft did the initial scan and fully installed, the WAC notification went away immediately and everything was fine during that WIndows session.  After updating some other programs, I then rebooted, and after a few minutes the WAC notification came up stating that Emsisoft is turned off, but it is running when I checked it. 

I right clicked Emsisoft and disabled its protection and then turned it right back on, and the WAC notification went away and if i click it and go to security it states Emsisoft is running. 

But after I reboot, it does it again (WAC shows Emsisoft is turned off even though it is running.)

Searching for answer I found some threads from 2011 from many posters with the same problem with Emsisoft.

For example:

3 years ago on this forum:

http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/6425-emsisoft-anti-malware-and-windows-action-center/

3 years ago on Wilder's Security site:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/emsisoft-and-windows-7-problem.307700/

Is this an old bug that is back?

I assume Emsisoft is running, but it does not make me feel comfortable that WAC is stating it is not.  I am using Emsisoft because it is a top antivirus program, so while one might call this a cosmetic bug it does not make me feel comfortable.  I did not have this problem while using Emsisoft as a trial, it all started after using a year license.  I assume a coincidence, because again I am now using a refresh image and it is doing it also, and I never used a trial of Emsisoft on this imagine.

Can this be fixed?   Also, I shutdown my computer every evening, and reboot in the morning, so perhaps I am one of the first to see this since many people leave their computers running.  Anyone else noticing this same problem? 

No, it is not an old bug that is back. The symptoms may be similar but the cause is different. We can reproduce the issue on one of our test systems so it will most likely be fixed in one of the next versions. However, there is no ETA. If you prefer to get a refund instead, please send an email to [email protected] Make sure to include your Cleverbridge order number if you still have it.

10/19/2016 Running latest and fully updated Emisisoft Internet Security ver. 11.0 on fully updated Windows 10 Home 64-bit Build 14393. I been getting these same notifications, turning Emisisoft back on and "trusting" this application. So, Emisisoft, will you respond as you did two years ago saying this will be fixed in a future version?

10/19/2016 Running latest and fully updated Emisisoft Internet Security ver. 11.0 on fully updated Windows 10 Home 64-bit Build 14393. I been getting these same notifications, turning Emisisoft back on and "trusting" this application. So, Emisisoft, will you respond as you did two years ago saying this will be fixed in a future version?

Hold off on an Emisisoft response. Just upgraded Emisisoft Internet Security from 11.0 to 12.0. Will update any Win10 activity notifications that report that EIS has stopped, or the lack of. Will post a reply here (barring uncontrolled circumstance(s)) by 10/27/2016

If you are still having this issue, then lets try getting a diagnostic log. You can find the instructions and download at this link.

When it's done, it will open a log in Notepad (as explained in the instructions). Please save this log somewhere easy to find, such as on your Desktop or in your Documents folder, and then send it to me in a Private Message so that I can take a look at it.

Important: Don't post the log publicly. It contains a copy of your a2settings.ini file, which contains encrypted license information. If someone were to figure out how to break that encryption, then someone else could use your license key.

• Upvote 1

Mine is doing this as well,I get a (emsisoft firewall/antivirus is turned off)right after it updates and turns back on within seconds.

Please advise 

Thanks

I am getting a mini version of this issue.

Sporadically from time to time I get a Windows Pop-Up Warning that I have no AV and no firewall. This coincides with the EMIS 12 tray icon disappearing. This only lasts for a few seconds, but it is unnerving not knowing if somehow malware was able to disable EMIS long enough to enter my system.

There is  no identifiable patteren to these instances and they do not coincide with updates.

They are, however, few and far between.

• Upvote 1

I am getting a mini version of this issue.

Sporadically from time to time I get a Windows Pop-Up Warning that I have no AV and no firewall. This coincides with the EMIS 12 tray icon disappearing. This only lasts for a few seconds, but it is unnerving not knowing if somehow malware was able to disable EMIS long enough to enter my system.

There is  no identifiable patteren to these instances and they do not coincide with updates.

They are, however, few and far between.

This happened to me today running EIS.  I noticed after checking that EIS had just updated.  I thought EIS was going to announce some type of new program update, but that did not happen.  I believe this did this once before since receiving version 12.

• Upvote 1

Hold off on an Emisisoft response. Just upgraded Emisisoft Internet Security from 11.0 to 12.0. Will update any Win10 activity notifications that report that EIS has stopped, or the lack of. Will post a reply here (barring uncontrolled circumstance(s)) by 10/27/2016

I have not had a recurrence of this on/off phenomena since updating to EIS 12.0 Am following this thread, and if I have a recurrence I will get a diagnostic log to Emisisoft as per link instructions. thank you

Can everyone check their Windows Event Logs to see if there are any errors related to a2guard.exe, a2start.exe, and/or a2service.exe. There are some quick instructions on opening the Event Viewer at this link (scroll down to the comments for Windows 10), and more information on using the Event Viewer in general at this link.

Can everyone check their Windows Event Logs to see if there are any errors related to a2guard.exe, a2start.exe, and/or a2service.exe. There are some quick instructions on opening the Event Viewer at this link (scroll down to the comments for Windows 10), and more information on using the Event Viewer in general at this link.

I went thru control panel on Windows 7 to do this.  I checked the Windows error events in application, security and system and there was no mention of any of the Emsisoft files or processes that I can find.

Same here. On V 12.0.1.6859. Today after product update and restart, I got the message re EIS and Defender being off. Nothing in Event Viewer, either.

Tray icon displaying as normal and protection seemingly active, according to System Security and Maintenance in Control Panel. Maybe a Windows glitch ?  unsure.png

This morning when I started my computer, the Emsisoft Shield Icon in the taskbar was red with a white X across it.  The GUI would not open, and a message appeared from the right center stating that Emsisoft was waiting for a component to (start).  This message would freeze and it could not be removed.  EIS would not open at all.

I rebooted the computer and again the same thing.  I have now removed and downloaded a fresh copy of EIS, which now appears to be working again.

I rebooted the computer and again the same thing.  I have now removed and downloaded a fresh copy of EIS, which now appears to be working again.

I'm glad to hear that the reinstall helped.

Mine only did it a few times 4 days ago, should I wait and see what happens before doing a reinstall?

If it's not happening anymore, then it's not going to be necessary to reinstall. ;)

• Upvote 1

I've just renewed my two PC license and am now running Emsisoft Internet Security ver. 2017.3.1.7353 on Winsows 10.0.14393. Before the renewal, every so often (about once every other month) Windows has reported that Emsisoft Internet had stopped working. A rare and quirky event. Still, Emsisoft Internet Security is my favorite firewall and anti-virus. That's why I renewed again.

11 hours ago, namitutonka said:

Before the renewal, every so often (about once every other month) Windows has reported that Emsisoft Internet had stopped working.

It's not abnormal for Windows to say that when a program update for Emsisoft Internet Security gets installed. When that happens, Emsisoft Internet Security has to restart itself in order to update itself, and during that brief period of time Windows will report that Emsisoft Internet Security is turned off. I would believe we made some changes recently so that Windows doesn't do that anymore, however I have not tested to verify that (I would have checked before posting, but there's currently no beta version for me to install in order to test).

• Upvote 1