Neverno

Emsisoft IS Version 12 Not Ready for Prime Time?

Getting waiting for service to load and IS won't start. Tried uninstalling, reseting, emsicleaning, etc.  Reverting back to 11 works for me.

In the two years I have used IS, I think Emsisoft is quick to roll out updates and new versions without fully testing beforehand. I can't tell you how many issues I have had with restarting my computer after updates. Clicking that restart button has always been a technical nightmare and I make sure I have enough time set aside to fix things before doing an update. Updates are important for security software, but I can't trust them unfortunately. I may have to end up trying another suite (begins with N) that I used before EIS in which I had no problems. sad.png

Emsisoft Version 12 was in beta for nearly 2 months. I also have tested and surely Emsisoft team as well. 

But a emsisoft employee wil help you in a short time. ;)

Lets try getting a diagnostic log. You can find the instructions and download at this link.

When it's done, it will open a log in Notepad (as explained in the instructions). Please save this log somewhere easy to find, such as on your Desktop or in your Documents folder, and then send it to me in a Private Message so that I can take a look at it.

Important: Don't post the log publicly. It contains a copy of your a2settings.ini file, which contains encrypted license information. If someone were to figure out how to break that encryption, then someone else could use your license key.

With version 12 installed. I want to see the service and driver states so that I can determine if something is wrong. I've had two users who reported issues where EIS wouldn't run, and in both cases a missing firewall driver was the cause ("missing" isn't entirely accurate here, as the driver files were present, but the service that tells Windows to load one of them was missing).

It looks like the newer version of the download that was released yesterday fixed the issue, but now when I try to adjust settings in behavior blocker, my computer freezes and I have to restart. This happened twice. I will send you the log file.

It looks like you have several other security softwares installed on your computer (Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, and SpyShelter for instance). It's possible that there is a compatibility issue with one or more of them. Is it possible to disable these other softwares from running when you start your computer? If not, then would it be possible to uninstall them and see if you still have the freezing issue with these other security softwares no longer present?

Due to too  many compatibility issues with so many of my programs (not just security software), I'm going to have to pass on this update until it has been further 'beta' tested by others.

If you have several security software installed, you are asking for trouble and problems are bound to appear. This is known, well-documented territory and certainly not specific to Emsisoft (which I think is one of the most compatible ones anyway). The main purpose of security software is to protect your computer, not to be compatible with each other. It would be nice if they all played along together, but by their own technical nature, it is almost impossible (and understandable).

Having said that, it'd be good to know exactly which programs cause problems, for the benefit of other users who might encounter similar issues.

... It would be nice if they all played along together, but by their own technical nature, it is almost impossible (and understandable).

Actually it's the unfortunate nature of hooks (a way of reading the memory of a running process) that causes the compatibility issues. When two security softwares open hooks to each other's processes it has the potential to cause performance, stability, and freezing issues. When you add even more security softwares to the mix, all opening hooks to each other's processes, it only multiplies the chances and severity of such problems. This is why we generally recommend no more than two that have real-time protection be installed at the same time.

Due to too  many compatibility issues with so many of my programs (not just security software), I'm going to have to pass on this update until it has been further 'beta' tested by others.

We don't actually know for certain if there is a compatibility issue happening here. I just wanted to rule it out before we proceeded with debugging.

The only way to keep version 11 is to disable updates. Otherwise it will automatically upgrade back to version 12.