stapp

CLOSED Window which appears during uninstall of 12 builds (Captcha?)

EAM  Win 7 6862

When uninstalling beta builds ( and I've done a lot of that lately!!) during the uninstall there is a brief flash of a Window which disappears so quickly that I cannot read what it is.

It is a flat new design and I suspect it may be the captcha window.

It disappears without user being able to do anything with it. It is enabled in settings.

(p,s. I wish Emsi would remove itself from C/Program Files when uninstalling)

Hi Stapp,

This window is not a captcha protection and it is not connected to the settings. It is just an informative box that tell the user that the program will be uninstalled.

(p,s. I wish Emsi would remove itself from C/Program Files when uninstalling)

Actually it removes itself from there. Isn't it?

Orlando

Well Orlando the information box (if that is what it is) does not stay on screen long enough to able to read it. It is just a quick flash and then it is gone.

And no, EAM does not remove itself from C/Program files at uninstall on Win 7 (the beta installers).

Have you tried it?

Ok, I'll investigate on this.

And no, EAM does not remove itself from C/Program files at uninstall on Win 7 (the beta installers).

Have you tried it?

Yes, it is missing just the folder. Did you find any more files of it?

Orlando

Stapp, sorry for not replying you on this fastly.

That folder is left by default, i suppose, but it has no sense to leave it on the computer if the program is uninstalled. Removing that is a logical thing. The only thin I can do is creating a reminder to our tracker. We will discuss this and decide to include ProgramData\Emsisoft folder to be removed from EmsiClean or not.

Thank you,
Orlando

Hi,

Folders and Files that sit in \ProgramData\Emsisoft will not be deleted as these are scansets and reports and users might want to keep these for later reference.

It's the same when you remove MS word, your .docx files  won't be removed either.

Sorry to hear that decision Frank, and I don't agree that removing Word is similar to removing Emsi :)

Doc files will be used and be useful for years possibly, old Emsi scan info etc will not.

If I remove a program, I want to remove the whole program, not just bits of it.

I have to agree with  Stapp, and I also agree the comparison isn't valid.   How many Word users don't know about their doc files, compared to how many users even know about their scan sets and reports.  I'd bet very few.

Perhaps the issue would be better framed around why reports generated for users, and user-defined sets of scanner settings, are placed in an OS folder rather than a user-specific one?

I've used apps in the past whose installers separaretely ask whether user-data should be deleted, and normally point out that if one is planning a subsequent reinstall that such files might still be required.  Ideally just installers also tell you where the files are, so you can make an informed choice.

Edited by JeremyNicoll
add extra text

Perhaps the issue would be better framed around why reports generated for users, and user-defined sets of scanner settings, are placed in an OS folder rather than a user-specific one?

Settings, logs, reports in EAM/EIS are computer related and not user related, this is why they are stored in the ProgramData folder

We probably will implement an additional dialog with the question about deleting such data,