JeremyNicoll

Machine frozen after dynamic update of EIS12

Just for info... at about 10pm tonight I woke up my sleeping laptop to find a message telling me that EIS needed to restart - should it?  I said YES.  I'm not sure

whether it did or not - normally I get warning panes from Windows telling me that there's no active a/v or a/malware app while a restart is happening, and I didn't

see any.  It was soon obvious that there was a problem because double-clicking on application icons didn't start anything.  I asked Windows to do a restart.  After about 2 minute of watching a screen saying "Restarting..." I used the long-press-on-the-power button method to kill the machine.

After that I rebooted as far as the user login screen, and from there asked Windows to do a restart.  After that, I logged-in when the login screen next appeared. My first priority was a scan of the C-drive - fortunately Windows reported that clean.

There's nothing useful (in the time span between waking the machine and forcing it off) in Event Viewer, perhaps not too surprisingly.

If the freeze happens again, then we'd need a memory dump. Since the system is froze, you may need to configure Windows to crash when you use the Ctrl + Scroll Lock shortcut. Microsoft has some basic documentation at this link, and there's an actual article with screenshots and such at this link.

You'll also need to configure Windows to save a Complete memory dump. By default Windows 10 is set to "Automatic", which may not have all of the data we need to debug the issue. You can right-click on the Start button, go to System, click on Advanced system settings in the menu on the left, in the Startup and Recovery section click on Settings, under Write debugging information change the dropdown to Complete memory dump and click OK to save the changes.

OK, I'll look at setting that up; first stage has been to increase pagefile to a shade over 8 GB, and turn on "Complete" dumps.  But I'll need to use some key combination other than Ctrl & ScrollLock because this laptop has no ScrollLock key, not even as some sort of Fn+ combination.

... But I'll need to use some key combination other than Ctrl & ScrollLock because this laptop has no ScrollLock key, not even as some sort of Fn+ combination.

Hopefully the information at the first link I posted in helpful with that, although at a quick glance it looks like it doesn't contain enough information to determine which codes represent which keys.