HAWKI

EMIS Tray Icon Is Not Showing

Hi :-)

The EMIS 12 tray icon is not showing on my PC..

When I went to my PC today there was a message saying that both EMIS and WD were both turned off. I looked and saw no tray icon but the service was running.

On a restart, the tray icon is still not showing, but the a2service.exe is running.

I have had to resort to using the taskbar customization to pin the EMIS icon to my taskbar. This will open the interface but not all the right click options are available, such as "update now." It also will not indicate if EMIS is running or inGame Mode. I have to click on it to open the GUI to see that or use Task Manager,a process utility, or the Windows Control Panel.

This error is not immediately related to the latest Windows 1067 Update as it did not appear until long after that update and a couple of restarts after uninstalling a couple of programs.

I had earlier reported in the "Windows Reporting EIS Turned Off" thread that:

"I am getting a mini version of this issue.

Sporadically from time to time I get a Windows Pop-Up Warning that I have no AV and no firewall. This coincides with the EMIS 12 tray icon disappearing. This only lasts for a few seconds, but it is unnerving not knowing if somehow malware was able to disable EMIS long enough to enter my system.

There is no identifiable patteren to these instances and they do not coincide with updates.

They are, however, few and far between."

This new issue is different -- it's persistent and unacceptable.

Lets try a fresh install of EIS:

• Uninstall Emsisoft Internet Security.
  • Restart your computer twice.
  • Download and reinstall Emsisoft Internet Security from this link.
You can use this alternate download link if needed.

I did a system restore to a poiont two days befor the problem appeared and the issues is gone :-)

Clear to me that the issue was not caused by EMIS but something else that was behaving badly on my system. [something like IOBIT Anti Malware Free that was installed on my system without my knowledge or permission when I upgraded IOBIT Driver Booster from VB 3 to 4. doh. I did nearly immediately uninstall it, but I suspect the problem was caused by it's intallation.operation, or uninstall.

All is good now "-)

Note that we don't recommend driver "update" utilities, as they can cause problems. They will download generic drivers that match the hardware ID's they find for the devices in your computer, and will install them without bothering to verify that they are from the same manufacturer. Installing unofficial drivers from sources other than either the manufacturer of the device or the manufacturer of the chipset can cause all sorts of issues, ranging from minor problems to major ones like system crashing, freezing, data damage, etc.

• Upvote 1

Note that we don't recommend driver "update" utilities, as they can cause problems. They will download generic drivers that match the hardware ID's they find for the devices in your computer, and will install them without bothering to verify that they are from the same manufacturer. Installing unofficial drivers from sources other than either the manufacturer of the device or the manufacturer of the chipset can cause all sorts of issues, ranging from minor problems to major ones like system crashing, freezing, data damage, etc.

Driver Booster is very good at downloading the original publisher's driver. IOBIT also tests all drivers before placing them into it's data base.

Despite it's overly aggressive/annoying/sneaky sales tactics and it's well-deserved bad reputation after alledgedly stealing Malwarebyte's anti-virus definitions several years ago, IOBIT does make a reliable driver updater.

IOBIT also tests all drivers before placing them into it's data base.

That must be one incredibly large collection of test systems.