ilowe

CLOSED Needed to uninstall in safe mode to get computer to boot

Using a Lenovo X230 Win7 64bit. Friday morning, working normally. Closed screen. In the afternoon, computer would not come alive. I berated myself for not using the Winkey+L for shut down.

Rebooted. I was surprised that an error options menu did not appear as on the desktop whenever I cut the power. Got as far as the user choices, then the pw for a user. After a minute or so, the hdd light stopped blinking. 

There followed over six hours of work. Delighted, Lenovo had included the Recovery Mode. Tried autorecovery. Saw the details, there was nothing to fix. Tried system restore, that failed (not unexpected). Tried removing the battery + press power switch to bleed the RAM. Even tried removing the battery while rebooting, and that never gave me the 'windows failed to close properly, choose between ... safe mode.. try normal boot etc. I wonder why this does not happen.

Delighted, the laptop booted automatically from an external DVD, so scanned for viruses using Avira Rescue CD.

Next, safe mode, uninstall possible startups. I keep these extras to a minimum since I come from the Dos era, where you only run the programs you need, and if you go too fast computers get confused. I uninstalled GWX control panel. No difference. I then ran ccleaner and zsoft uninstaller to delete piles of tmp files. 

By now, I was running out of options. EasyRE told me I needed a more up to date version to cope with my version of Win7 (true, a year ago I deliberately bought one of the last Win7 laptops on the market, never mind, at least I did no damage.

I now suspected the security suite. So, in safe mode uninstalled. Rebooted. Back to safe mode, reinstall. Still the same problem.

So, Uninstall again. Installed MS Security Essentials. Reinstalled GWX control panel to make sure MS does not force any patching on me. One problem a time. Ran in the Maintenance Centre, "resolve problems" just out of curiosity. MS reported problems with Emsisoft security Suite, and named four files. I promptly copied them to a new folder. They are 

C:\Users\Ivan\AppData\Local\Temp\WERFAD.tmp\AppCompat.txt

C:\Users\Ivan\AppData\Local\Temp\WERFAD.tmp\memory.hdmp

C:\Users\Ivan\AppData\Local\Temp\WERFAD.tmp\minidump.mdmp

C:\Users\Ivan\AppData\Local\Temp\WERFAD.tmp\WERInternalMetadata.xml

Also, two of the files you mentioned in your post are memory dumps. Any possibility of us getting copies of those? :)

I was using the latest version of EIS. That was one of the possibilities I thought of. I did a fresh download on another computer and re-installed from scratch, since, reading other posts in the past, that sometimes fixes a problem like this. Sure, I would be happy to upload the memory dumps -- remind me how to send you a private message.

I was using the latest version of EIS. That was one of the possibilities I thought of. I did a fresh download on another computer and re-installed from scratch, since, reading other posts in the past, that sometimes fixes a problem like this. Sure, I would be happy to upload the memory dumps -- remind me how to send you a private message.

Go here and click on send me a message button.

http://support.emsisoft.com/user/18745-gt500/

Done.

Another time, would it be possible to follow this scenario?

1. I leave in the background, Microsoft Security Essentials + Windows Firewall.

2. I install EIS but set it to NOT load at startup. Is this possible?

3. I boot as normal, then load EIS, which automatically turns off the MSE and Windows Firewall (I think).

This would follow the old procedures: one program at a time. When the internet first came my way, I used to boot, then load the firewall, then load the antivirus, then load a few other programs, and then go to the internet. It avoided problems, and I still like it and still do that, one at a time when I need it approach.

There is an option in the settings of EIS to run when Windows starts, and you can turn that off. Note that the service (a2service.exe) will still be running, and you would have to set the Emsisoft Protection Service (a2AntiMalware) to Manual in order to prevent that. The drivers will also automatically load, but they shouldn't cause problems.

As I remember it from the better days when Firewall and AV were separate, there were similar problems. Online Armor, I am afraid, was notorious for giving problems like this whenever there was a program update. Therefore, I did the program update once per year or so, after first making sure I had done a full System cleanup and backup. I loved Online Armor enough to put up with this, and to use the workaround. I am not trying to mope, just to learn from the past.

It was usually the firewall that caused the problems, not the AV. Therefore, which part of the above suggestions applies to the Firewall? 

The firewall can be turned off, however this only stops one of the drivers it uses. The other remains running, and (as I understand it) just doesn't filter any traffic until the firewall is turned back on.

Preventing EIS from running of course keeps everything from running. Unfortunately there is no way to separate the firewall from the rest of the functions, as they are all built in to the same service.

OK. That is clear. Another time I might just try turning off as much as I can, then starting it manually once booted. I know it is a problem of loading, because when I did a clean install, the computer worked normally as far as I could see. This start EIS AFTER boot,, if it worked, would be a temporary workaround. My thoughts also might be a clue for the developer, who now has the crash reports.

Meantime, I am using MSE + Windows Firewall. I await news from the analysis of the crash dumps. I presume you will post them here when they are ready? I sure hope you can find a solution.

What puzzles me is that this problem happened on a new computer (Win7, 64bit), with very little installed on it. Fortunately my desktop (Win732bit), over 5 years old, with loads of programs on it, functions normally so far.

If I hear back from our developers, then I'll let you know. If you don't hear anything from me by Monday then send me a message, and I'll ask another developer to review the crash dumps.

For the sake of lurkers, I have been told that the crash dumps have been sent to others in the team behind the scenes.

What is new is that my browser, Vivaldi, in the last few days, seemed to keep getting hijacked by adverts. On the other parallel computer without problems, this did not happen. Usual stuff, I made sure Vivaldi was up to date, stopped all extensions etc. Then I remembered I had a free bonus when I renewed, of Adblocker. I installed and activated it and the problem is gone.

This is to praise the security suite, and Emsisoft fortunately providing me with an extra layer i could use. Microsoft Security Essentials is clearly not good enough, not even for the bbb.co.uk site.

So, I am resolved at the moment not to make any changes until support get back to me, hopefully in the next few days, so that they and I can investigate and solve this problem.

I'd ask for an FRST log, but unfortunately FRST doesn't show Vivaldi extensions like it does for Firefox, Google Chrome, and Opera. Have you checked your Vivaldi extensions to make sure that there aren't any that shouldn't be there? You can also try disabling all extensions and then turn them on one-by-one until you start seeing the ads, which should help you identify which extension (or extensions) are the cause of the ads.

Thanks. The strange thing is, the problem happened with Vivaldi on the problem computer, which had the same extensions as the non-problem desktop. 

Extensions was one of the first think I thought of, especially in that Vivaldi being fairly new, I had the impression extensions were not well behaved! The next thing I did was make sure I had the latest version. I guess now the problem is dealt with, using Adblocker.

What is new now for you to think about. My problem laptop was bought about a year ago. I have found the notes I took about what software came pre-installed. I remembered that these problems can be caused by remnants from a former security product. Sure enough, I have just looked now, I had uninstalled Norton and rebooted before originally installing EIS. Could it be there is a trace in the system, or a system ,modification left by Norton, that EIS version 11 has no problems with, but EIS Version 12 has problems? 

I never played with Norton. After some other customising, I uninstalled it, possibly using zsoft uninstaller, and forgetting to look for traces, I cannot now remember. No other security products have been installed.

Lets get a log from FRST, and see if it shows any remnants of a Norton product. Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) from one of the following links, and save it to your Desktop (please note that some web browsers will automatically save all downloads in your Downloads folder, so in those cases please move the download to your desktop):

For 32-bit (x86) editions of Windows:

For 64-bit (x64) editions of Windows:Note: You need to run the version compatible with your computer. If you are not sure which version applies to your computer, then download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your computer, and that will be the right version.
  • Run the FRST download that works on your computer (for Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 please right-click on the file and select Run as administrator).
  • When the tool opens click Yes for the disclaimer in order to continue using FRST.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • When the scan is done, it will save a log as a Text Document named FRST in the same place the tool was run from (if you had saved FRST on your desktop, then the FRST log will be saved there).
  • Please attach the FRST log file to a reply using the More Reply Options button to the lower-right of where you type in your reply to access the attachment controls.
  • The first time the FRST tool is run it saves another log (a Text Document named Addition - also located in the same place as the FRST tool was run from). Please also attach that log file along with the FRST log file to your reply.

I noticed you had Opera 12 installed. Windows says its Opera 12.17, but that isn't necessarily accurate. Just in case you hadn't heard, Opera 12.18 for Windows http://www.opera.com/blogs/security/2016/02/opera-12-and-opera-mail-security-update/]was released on February 16th, 2016 to address some SSL/TLS related security issues in Opera 12. You should be able to download it at this link if you haven't already installed it.

As for the logs, I don't see anything from a Norton or Symantec product left over on your system. I also don't see any reason for advertisements in Vivaldi, however without being able to see a list of the extension ID's to search I can't know for certain if everything is OK. Vivaldi uses Google Chrome extensions (as I imagine you already know), so if I know the ID's then I can usually find some information about them. Vivaldi stores those in the following folder, and you can copy and paste this path into the Run dialog and click OK to open it quickly:

%LocalAppdata%\Vivaldi\User Data\Default\Extensions
To open the Run dialog regardless of the version of Windows you're using, simply hold down the Windows logo key on your keyboard, and tap the R key.

Just copy the folder names into a reply, and I can check to see if any of them are known to show ads.

Thanks for the tip about Opera 12.18. I thought they had stopped updating that line of versions, and I strongly disliked the thoughts of struggling with Opera 40+ which looked like Chrome. I had had enough problems making Opera 12 look more like the useful Opera 10. Nowadays I only use Opera for the RSS feeds. I came across Vivaldi, waited a few months, then made the jump. Vivaldi is a long way from what Opera 10x was, and is still maturing, but is better than Opera 40x

Yes, I did try to add extensions to Vivaldi, which I now regret. I should have waited. I now stick to the approach of each browser for its purpose. Firefox for downloads and when a site requires Firefox. Opera 12x for RSS, and Vivaldi for general purpose.

However, I cannot refuse your kind offer to improve my browser. Here are the extensions:

Extensions\aiimdkdngfcipjohbjenkahhlhccpdbc\21.1.1_0\modules 

downloader.js

recorder.js

streamer.js

worker.js

They are all disabled. I did that first, then tried adblocker.

Note, on the desktop, running EIS version 12, I have had no problems with adverts, and no problems running EIS. It is only on the 64bit laptop I have had problems loading EIS, and this happened after the change from version 11 to version 12 which  meant I started this thread, and the adverts became a problem when i had to use windows default security.

In the (better?) days when Emsisoft sold separate products: Online Armor + Antivirus, you will recall better than I do that Online Armor sometimes had update problems like this. I used to quake at the thought of trying a program update. When I did, once a year or so, I chose one that was reputedly the most stable. In those days, you could actually choose to accept or reject a program update, and still get the signatures.

Is there a switch somewhere in EIS version 11 that would permit this? The core event is, it was a change from version 11 to version 12 that somehow meant my computer would not start. Or is the developer near to finding a solution I could try?

Thanks for your help

I assume that "downloader.js", "recorder.js", "streamer.js", and "worker.js" are all in the "..\Extensions\aiimdkdngfcipjohbjenkahhlhccpdbc\21.1.1_0\modules" folder? If so, then this extension appears to be "Flash Video Downloader", and I can't find experts scripting it for removal or any reports of it being malicious or a PUP, so it is more than likely safe.

As for extensions in Vivaldi, I have the following extensions installed and they all appear to be working OK:

vivaldi_extensions_th.png

(I'm still trying to find an alternative to WOT, so the two security extensions will probably get removed at some point)

Note, on the desktop, running EIS version 12, I have had no problems with adverts, and no problems running EIS. It is only on the 64bit laptop I have had problems loading EIS, and this happened after the change from version 11 to version 12 which  meant I started this thread, and the adverts became a problem when i had to use windows default security.

I noticed that you didn't have an adblock extension installed. Where exactly were you seeing ads? It's quite common to see ads on the Internet when you don't use an adblocker (you can see I use uBlock Origin in Vivaldi to block ads on websites), as it's how most websites make money.

Is there a switch somewhere in EIS version 11 that would permit this? The core event is, it was a change from version 11 to version 12 that somehow meant my computer would not start. Or is the developer near to finding a solution I could try?

Emsisoft Anti-Malware hasn't had an option to avoid installing program updates since version 5. Since EIS is built on the same code base as EAM, it also does not have such an option. We do have a Delayed update feed that you can enable in the Update settings, which performs a similar function, but will still automatically update to a newer version once we have established that there is a newer version that is stable enough. I don't think this will help with your issue, unless an older version of EIS 12 worked OK on your computer.

As for the memory dumps, I though I had already let you know, but there appears to be a heap corruption that is causing an exception in the BitDefender scan engine we use in our products. The dumps don't have enough information to explain why there is a heap corruption (it could be caused by one of our drivers, or even a third-party driver that is having an issue). There are a couple of possibilities for collecting information. The first is debug logs. If you're willing to try to collect debug logs, then please let me know.

Also, please let me know if (when EIS is installed) you are able to open EIS and get to the main Overview screen. If you can't, then we'd have to use a batch file to enable debug logging before you install EIS.

Re the adverts. What I was seeing was, on the bbc site, and the dailymail news site, that when I scrolled down, I was being redirected to what I took to be virus sites. Other sites did not have that. It may have been videos. I did several checks. I used avira rescue boot disk to scan my computer. I updated vivaldi. I stopped all extensions. I also found that I did not experience the problem when I used vivaldi in no-images mode. Adblocker seemed to stop all that. 

My priority now is to find a solution to the main problem. From memory, I think I could, when EIS was installed, get to the screens. EIS seemed to work when installed, but jam up when there was a reboot. I had already talked to you earlier in the thread about a possible workaround where I try to start EIS after booting I have two computers, so if I get stuck can always contact you through the other one. My default is that in safe mode I uninstall EIS, then I am back to what I have now. Windows firewall plus MSE.

So, since you are willing to work with me, I want to give it a try, for my benefit, and for the benefit of others. 

Sorry, I forgot to reply to one of your questions. Even though I take notes when things happen on my computer, I cannot now trace the order of the problems. I cannot remember the sequence, vivaldi-redirects and EIS crashing the computer. I am off to work now, I will try and reconstruct the events sequence and let you know.

Before you ask me to do something complicated. I was reviewing the problems just now. I do not have KB2958399 as the installer asks for. I cannot find it on the web. I do not have it for the problem laptop 64 bit, or for the desktop 32bit, never needed it.

Perhaps there is no longer a need, but if that could be the solution!! 

You can find the download from the following link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2958399

This fixes a BSoD related issue on Windows 7 that can be caused when a TCP connection is closed, and then an application tries to send data over that TCP connection. Google Chrome can be particularly bad about triggering that particular bug, and since Vivaldi is based on Chromium it should trigger it as well.

This time I got them. Last time I tried I did not. I downloaded all three of them.

It came in three versions.

Platform i386

Platform x64

Platform ia64

Question 1. Which one do I use on Win7 32 bit, and which one do I use on the problem Win7 64 bit computer?

Once I know, I will on Monday probably, then install EIS and set it to manual load first, as advised above. I will do a full scan of the computer. Then reboot. If it fails to reboot even when set to manual, then that gives some clues. Once manual is working -- already progress I can live with, I will try automatic loading.

Question 2. How long should I wait before concluding it is not going to finish loading? I usually wait 5 minutes, and it usually takes around a minute. This is the time taken to go from signon screen to normal screen.

Question 1. Which one do I use on Win7 32 bit, and which one do I use on the problem Win7 64 bit computer?

32-bit operating systems are often referred to as x86, i386, i486, i586, i586, etc. In this case, "Platform i386" is the one you will want on 32-bit editions of Windows.

"Platform x64" is for 64-bit editions of Windows. "Platform ia64" is for editions of Windows intended for the Intel Itanium family of processors (which you won't find in home computers), so be sure to avoid that one even on computers that have 64-bit editions of Windows.

Question 2. How long should I wait before concluding it is not going to finish loading? I usually wait 5 minutes, and it usually takes around a minute. This is the time taken to go from signon screen to normal screen.

Without knowing more about the computer, I would say 5-10 minutes is about the amount of time I'd let a computer sit there appearing to be frozen during logon before I forced it to power off.

OK. Thanks. Successfully installed the hotfix. Ran it for a while, so that is stable.

Just now, I created a system restore point, just in case, and just in case that works (sometimes does, and is useful, never worked out why sometimes works. Figure that a new one manually created is most likely to work). 

I installed EIS. I let it update. Noticed MSE was not turned off -- I expected EIS to do that automatically, but left it alone.

I did a Malware scan, nothing showed.

I unchecked the box in general tab of settings, to do with start firewall. I used services.msc to find and set to manual the service you mentioned -- it had another name. Then I did a cold boot. It loaded in reasonable speed, ie it actually got past the logon screen. I did not test much, not sure but I think the computer was working normally. I noticed MSE was NOT turned off.

I then double clicked on the EIS icon. It took ages, maybe two minutes, then I got the EIS splash screen. By now I was getting excited. Then. I minimised it, and the computer jammed. Not even Ctl-Alt-Del would work.

So, I pressed the power button for a forced shut down. Waited, then restarted. I accepted normal boot. I was able to get past the logon screen. Then tried to uninstall. For some reason zsoft uninstaller could not find your program, and i tried several names. I had to use the microsoft method, which on a French computer like mine, is rather hidden! Uninstall took ages, but seemed to work.

Current list of bugs that need fixing:

1. Any program at installation should automatically ask which language to use. Changing later was easy to find, and worked without reloading, but you cannot assume that because I am using a French computer that I understand computerspeak in French. 

2. I chose to use the trial version for this kind of fiddling, rather than fiddle with matching to the second licence. I see I only have 5 days left. Many other programs allow days of use to count for the trial, and this allows people to try out the program over several months if need be. I am now running out of time.

So, this gives you a major clue as to where the problem is. What do you suggest I do now? At least I can try another install and collect some data and uninstall without having to use safemode. 

I installed EIS. I let it update. Noticed MSE was not turned off -- I expected EIS to do that automatically, but left it alone.

EAM and EIS do not automatically turn off any other security software. The Windows Firewall does get turned off when installing EIS, and on Windows 8.1 and newer Windows will automatically turn off Windows Defender when EAM or EIS is installed.

I then double clicked on the EIS icon. It took ages, maybe two minutes, then I got the EIS splash screen. By now I was getting excited. Then. I minimised it, and the computer jammed. Not even Ctl-Alt-Del would work.

The best course of action would be to get a memory dump by forcing a BSoD, and our developers should be able to get an idea of what was going on at the time the system started to freeze. Easiest way to do that is configure your computer to automatically crash when you hold down the Ctrl key and repeatedly tap the Scroll Lock key (this method works fairly reliably in Windows 7). There are instructions at this link on how to easily do that.

Note that you will need to enable Full Memory Dumps in order for the dump to contain enough information. There are instructions at this link on how to do that, although I think BellaVista can do it for you as well.

After creating the memory dump, you will need to compress it with something like 7-Zip or WinRar to reduce the size, because it will be very large. The memory dump is usually saved as MEMORY.DMP in the C:\Windows folder. Once the memory dump is compressed, you may need to use a service such as WeTransfer to send the dump to us (WeTransfer allows sending files up to 2GB for free). You can send it to support <at> emsisoft <dot> com and mention this forum topic so that we know who the file is from.

1. Any program at installation should automatically ask which language to use. Changing later was easy to find, and worked without reloading, but you cannot assume that because I am using a French computer that I understand computerspeak in French.

I'll pass that on to our QA team.

2. I chose to use the trial version for this kind of fiddling, rather than fiddle with matching to the second licence. I see I only have 5 days left. Many other programs allow days of use to count for the trial, and this allows people to try out the program over several months if need be. I am now running out of time.

Our licenses (premium, free trial, etc) have set "start" and "end" dates that are determined based on when the day the license is activated and how long it is supposed to last for. How many days you "use" the software doesn't effect the expiration date, as that date is fixed and is only changed when one of our support or sales representatives edits it for you.

If you would like for me to extend your free trial, then follow the instructions at this link to get a diagnostic log, and send it to me in a Private Message.

OK. Thanks. I really really appreciate your calm re-assuring advice and detailed help.

I have two computers. The problem computer is running. So we can work methodically.

1. My laptop does not have Scroll lock,

So how cal I use bellavista? 

2. I am game to try the alternative batch files. I think I could simply act normally until windows jams. Then it would need a forced reboot. Would that be good enough? I have searched my computer and there are no dmp files lying around so far as I know.

I will try to send the private message to request a longer trial licence. Thanks. I have a second licence, but to keep activating it, getting it right each time. Better to stay in trial version until the dust settles.

Not sure if this will work but it's possible your 'on-screen keyboard' will do it.

That should have a scroll lock button.

Try start ...run ..osk,  or got to start..all programs... Accessories..Ease of Access.. and select On-screen keyboard.

I fail to see how I could create a BSOD even if I had an extended keyboard. 

I can install EIS. It seems to work, until I reboot, though I have not tested that extensively. I do know I can download the latest signatures and do an extended scan.

Then I disable start firewall at boot, and change the service to manual. I rebooted. I started EIS, and once fully loaded, the system jammed. Not even Ctl-Alt-Del would work. Nothing reacted. So I had to power down, and cold boot, and faced the "Windows did not shut down normally" screen. This means that the problem is in that disabled service, presumably. The next step would have been to enable the firewall.

So, the Ctl + Scroll lock creation of BSOD would not work, even if I did have the keyboard for it. since the problem seems to be with the service module (I could be wrong).

I am stuck. What is strange is that this laptop is a standard one, well known, with very few programs loaded, and is fairly new, therefore not battered from loads of crashes and traces of badly uninstalled software. It has not had any other security software installed on it, and I keep close tabs on it using ccleaner etc. Would it help you if I sent a private message with a list of running programs, as from procexp.exe or similar? I have Nirsoft Utilities and Sysinternals suite. 

1. My laptop does not have Scroll lock,

So how cal I use bellavista?

If you have a USB keyboard laying around, and the laptop has an open USB port, then that would be the easiest way to do it. Otherwise we'd have to use a registry export to configure the keyboard shortcut to force a BSoD, and simply alter the key codes in the registry export to correspond to keys you have on your keyboard. When importing the registry export, and restarting your computer, it would have the same effect as the option in BellaVista.

2. I am game to try the alternative batch files. I think I could simply act normally until windows jams. Then it would need a forced reboot. Would that be good enough? I have searched my computer and there are no dmp files lying around so far as I know.

The computer actually needs to crash in order for it to save a memory dump. There are tools that can do this at the click of a button (NotMyFault from Microsoft is a good example), however if your computer is frozen and you can't click on the "Crash" button then that won't quite work here.

I will try to send the private message to request a longer trial licence. Thanks. I have a second licence, but to keep activating it, getting it right each time. Better to stay in trial version until the dust settles.

Unfortunately when EIS was uninstalled it removed the settings file that has the Machine Key in it, so the only way I will be able to extend the free trial is if EIS were reinstalled and the a2settings file in the Emsisoft Internet Security Folder (usually in C:\Program Files) were sent to me so that I could find the Machine Key generated for your computer, and search for it in our License Center.

Not sure if this will work but it's possible your 'on-screen keyboard' will do it.

I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think the on-screen keyboard will work for this.

... I started EIS, and once fully loaded, the system jammed. Not even Ctl-Alt-Del would work. Nothing reacted. So I had to power down, and cold boot, and faced the "Windows did not shut down normally" screen. This means that the problem is in that disabled service, presumably. The next step would have been to enable the firewall.

So, the Ctl + Scroll lock creation of BSOD would not work, even if I did have the keyboard for it. since the problem seems to be with the service module (I could be wrong).

Sometimes the system appears to not respond, and parts of the system are still at least somewhat functional. The Ctrl + Scroll Lock method of forcing a BSoD often works when the system seems to be completely frozen. ;)

Thanks. I found an old keyboard. Ran bellavista as you said. Applied the settings, rebooted. Installed EIS. Disabled startup firewall and set the services to manual. Rebooted. 

Basically the same as before. i could reboot. I loaded process explorer so I could see new programs starting. Double clicked on EIS icon. Saw that a2start and a2service were working. The  HDD was flashing a lot, for minutes. Tried to create the BSOD and failed. Ended up powering down, and rebooting. Double checked bellavista. Rebooted. EIS start, and once again, bellavista failed me.This is the only time I have wished I had a BSOD!

I am sending the settings file which I managed to copy elsewhere, by private message.

I guess I should ask, if you hold down the right Ctrl key on the keyboard, and tap Scroll Lock a couple of times while the computer is running normally (not frozen), does that cause a BSoD as expected?

Edit: I've also extended your free trial. ;)

Sorry to not work on this for a few days.

The BSOD creator does not work even before EIS is installed.

Just in case, I found and ran your cleaner, to make sure there were no previous versions still lingering. The cleaner found nothing.

I have used some other virus finders. The bitdefender site showed the problems when the installed language of my computer, and my location, are detected and programs insist they know better than I do. It insisted on keep changing back to non-English. At least your site allows fixed choice.  I tell you, the monolinguals among you do not understand the battles such automation gives us multilingual users. I run a French Version of Windows 7, installed with a French keyboard. I use USA international software keyboard and touch type, and guess when I need  to. Google defaults to the country I am in and is difficult to fix, though possible (there are some settings to force it to use google uk), and google docs and google books insist on giving me Arabic -- with the language change settings hidden, they are written in small print Arabic.

This has relevance. 

I have used ccleaner to make sure there are no registry problems.

I have been in to services.msc and switched to manual, two services that just might be giving problems, since they are unusual: Casper and Witopia.

I downloaded the latest version of EIS. Just maybe the program change you made which gives me problems, has disappeared.

Instead, I get new problems. They actually first occurred a few days ago but I did not document them,

In the installation steps, you will note that a choice of language was not offered. Now you will see why this is important. I will have to give you the messages in French. 

At an early stage, the question of update was asked. I agreed. A new screen opens up, and stops. When I looked closer, there was a button, bottom left, which began with the word "retenter" ie re-attempt. The update started, then reverted to the same screen. My internet was working. I tried several times, then pressed the button, bottom right, "suivant" and finished the installation. As I finished in the middle of the right edge of the screen the EIS message box popped up.

I have a screenshot but cannot seem to be able to paste it.

It said: Une erreur de traitement interne inattendue s'est produite. Veuillez contacter l'assistance"

I saw the general message, the computer is partially protected. I tried, from here, to do the updates. I got the same error message.

So, what I had wanted to do was one last attempt to see if EIS worked.

What puzzles me is that I have a new computer, with very little installed on it. The computer is well known, a popular buy. It is Win7 which is well known.

Now you see why the developers really need to allow the user to use a previous version of the software. All this would have been solved in a few minutes, weeks ago, if this old option had been retained. OK, now you only have one customer, me, who seems to have this problem. I am guessing that I am probably not alone, and other customers have not bothered, and have simply abandoned Emsisoft. Yes, you as a company have a right to allow that to happen. You have the right to refuse to help us, and to refuse our custom. Therefore, please take this kindly, I am strongly requesting that Emsisoft reconsider. 

Right now it is only a few people affected. But what happens when 10% are broke? That is a business breaker! The option to default to the last known good version of the program would get you out of the problem since most customers would happily wait a few weeks before upgrading, and buy you the time you need to fix the problem. 

I have just now tried the same problem happens when I installe just the Antimalware. I was prepared to go down to just using the Antimalware, and using for instance glasswire, as an enhanced firewall. I can inform you that when I installed EAM then the same updates problem happened. I uninstalled. I did not want a system freeze.

We've released a new version of Emsisoft Internet Security today. I can't guarantee that it fixes the issue you are having, but if you want to try it then you can download it from one of the following links:

http://cdn.emsisoft.com/EmsisoftInternetSecuritySetup.exe

http://dl.emsisoft.com/EmsisoftInternetSecuritySetup.exe

The new version was worth a try.  It was just like the last version: updates failed, both during the installation, and when I initiated them manually. In each case I tried several times, since I have an erratic internet connection. My email for instance sometimes times out, but usually works with a second or third attempt.

I did not risk a reboot . I uninstalled. Sad.

At least now we know that the problem is with the antimalware part of the program, not the firewall.