Duncan Mac Leod

Windows Server 2016

Recommended Posts

WHEN will EMSIsoft AntiMalware run on Windows Server 2016 ?

 

Please release an update soon, cause my 30 days trial will expire in 9 days and it does not recognize/register with one of my server licenses.

 

EMSI support says that EMSIsoft AntiMalware currently does not support Windows Server 2016 and I should use it in trial mode till this issue is fixed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please note that we don't normally establish ETA's for releases of new versions of our software, or the addition of new features.

I've asked our QA Manager if we have been testing on Windows Server 2016. It does seem a bit odd that EAM isn't working right, but it could just be that it doesn't recognize it as a server operating system and is expecting the wrong kind of license key.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow! Thank you! You pointed me in the right direction -> doesn't regognize as Server OS !!

 

I had one Worksation key left and was able to successfully register EMSI AntiMalware with a Workstation Key(!!) on Server 2016 :-) !

 

Hope this helps you to fix your software!

 

Best regards and have a nice weekend.

 

P.S.: I will use my workstation key on my server till this issue is fixed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been told that we also have a driver issue on Windows Server 2016, so using our software on a Windows Server 2016 system is not recommended until we get our drivers updated to operate properly on that version of Windows Server.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Technically Emsisoft Anti-Malware works on Windows Server 2016, however if Secure Boot is enabled then you will more than likely run into problems due to (if I remember correctly) stricter driver signing requirements on Windows Server 2016 when Secure Boot is enabled. If you encounter any issues with Emsisoft Anti-Malware on Windows Server 2016, then you can try turning off Secure Boot to see if that helps.

Note that we do hope to have this issue rectified soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you.

We are planning to deploy EAM on a Windows Server 2016 that uses "classic" MBR-style legacy boot,
so I assume that there will (hopefully) be no problems....

One more thing: Is there any difference between the installer that you can download from
the "normal" EAM section of your website and the installer that can be downloaded from the "EAM for Server"
section ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Raynor said:

We are planning to deploy EAM on a Windows Server 2016 that uses "classic" MBR-style legacy boot,
so I assume that there will (hopefully) be no problems....

Everything should be find then. The only issues I am aware of are specifically with Secure Boot.

 

9 hours ago, Raynor said:

One more thing: Is there any difference between the installer that you can download from
the "normal" EAM section of your website and the installer that can be downloaded from the "EAM for Server"
section ?

As far as the software that gets installed, no. Both product pages are currently serving the download for our "web" installer that downloads the appropriate MSI package during the install process. The programs files they install are exactly the same. Emsisoft Anti-Malware should install on any supported version of Windows (workstation or server) regardless of which product page you download it from, however it requires an Emsisoft Anti-Malware for Server license key when installed on a server edition of Windows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One more Question:

What are your "official" recommendations concerning Windows Defender on Windows Server 2016
when EAM is to be installed on the Server ?

A) Remove Windows Defender completely as a feature via the "Add Roles and Features" wizard ?

B) Leave it installed, just disable realtime protection via the following Powershell command:
Set-MpPreference -DisableRealtimeMonitoring $true

C) Leave it installed, do nothing, as Windows Defender gets disabled automatically by EAMs Installer?
    (does it ??? if so, only the realtime protection???)

 

Thank you
Raynor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before answering the new question, note that Server 2016 is now listed on our product page as officially supported:
https://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/antimalwareforserver/

 

On 2/17/2018 at 5:28 AM, Raynor said:

C) Leave it installed, do nothing, as Windows Defender gets disabled automatically by EAMs Installer?
    (does it ??? if so, only the realtime protection???)

This option is fine. Windows should automatically turn off Windows Defender when the protection is turned on in Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

That being said, if you want to try to disable Windows Defender, then feel free to do so. Just keep in mind that Microsoft keeps making it harder and harder to do so (at least on Windows 10), and that Windows may randomly re-enable Windows Defender.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, thanks.

We will be deploying EAM on our Windows Server 2016 in the not-too-distant future (in a couple of months - not too distant in Server OS terms :P)
I'll report back if there are any problems with the "automatic" disabling of Windows Defender...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GT500 said:

Before answering the new question, note that Server 2016 is now listed on our product page as officially supported:
https://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/antimalwareforserver/

By the way: Does that mean that even UEFI Secure Boot would be supported?
As mentioned above, we don't use that at the moment, I'm just curious...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2018 at 3:50 PM, Raynor said:

By the way: Does that mean that even UEFI Secure Boot would be supported?

Yes. Secure Boot on Server 2016 should work fine with Emsisoft Anti-Malware. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2018 at 6:09 PM, GT500 said:

This option is fine. Windows should automatically turn off Windows Defender when the protection is turned on in Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

That being said, if you want to try to disable Windows Defender, then feel free to do so. Just keep in mind that Microsoft keeps making it harder and harder to do so (at least on Windows 10), and that Windows may randomly re-enable Windows Defender.

 

Just to let you know, Windows Server 2016 does NOT automatically turn off Windows Defender when Emsisoft Anti-Malware gets installed.
It does nothing. It doesn't even lift a finger. Zip. Nada. :lol:
I just tried it in a virtual machine.

More info to corroborate my findings here:

https://partnersupport.microsoft.com/en-us/par_servplat/forum/par_winserv/disable-windows-defender-on-server-2016/3b19d95c-0969-44ba-b9c1-e348be7a7a98

 

So, that leaves me with 2 options:
- Powershell:  Set-MpPreference -DisableRealtimeMonitoring $true
- Or removing Windows Defender completely (Add/Remove Roles&Features Wizard)

I haven't decided what to do yet ... hmmm ...

 

Oh, and one more thing:

While the Anti-Malware Download page now lists Server 2016 as supported, the Enterprise Console download page does NOT (Server 2012 R2 only) (???)
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2018 at 3:10 PM, Raynor said:

... the Enterprise Console download page does NOT (Server 2012 R2 only) (???)

I'll ask to verify this, however I would believe it works fine on Server 2016.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.