markarmstrong67

Msoffice closing in error from A2hooks.dll

Hi, On a Windows 7 machine today i have had to remove Emsisoft Anti Malware completely as i cannot get Outlook to stay open for long as it exits with a Outlook has stopped responding and then restarts etc. Also Word and Excel seem to open ok but exit with a similar error or if you close them they come up with Office has experienced an error. The three programs put the same entry listed below in the Windows Application Log. I have removed office 2013 completely and reinstalled twice. I did not have success until i completely removed Emsisoft (V12) (Not sure of minor version number) Tried to redownload a fresh copy of the installer but the web speed to the Emsisoft download was going to take ages. I've installed a temporary Anti Virus in the mean time and all seems to work ok. Has anyone ever seen this type of situation before?? Should i simply have removed Emsisoft and downloaded a fresh install to fix the A2hooks.dll problem ??

Faulting application name: WINWORD.EXE, version: 15.0.4871.1000, time stamp: 0x57ea22a9 Faulting module name: a2hooks32.dll, version: 10.0.0.216, time stamp: 0x582b048f Exception code: 0xc0000005 Fault offset: 0x0000b4e3 Faulting process id: 0xbbc Faulting application start time: 0x01d24144b4e19c19 Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15\WINWORD.EXE Faulting module path: C:\PROGRAM FILES\EMSISOFT ANTI-MALWARE\a2hooks32.dll Report Id: 1542940c-ad38-11e6-8493-20cf30e1cde3

Faulting application name: OUTLOOK.EXE, version: 15.0.4875.1000, time stamp: 0x57fc950b Faulting module name: a2hooks32.dll, version: 10.0.0.216, time stamp: 0x582b048f Exception code: 0xc0000005 Fault offset: 0x0000b4e3 Faulting process id: 0x1af8 Faulting application start time: 0x01d2412304bab2ed Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15\OUTLOOK.EXE Faulting module path: C:\PROGRAM FILES\EMSISOFT ANTI-MALWARE\a2hooks32.dll

Regards Mark Armstrong

Hi Christian, thank you for the reply. I am heading back to the office on Monday so i'll be able to try it then.

I just wanted to quickly check a couple of things with you about the reinstallation.

Do I just download Emsisoft Antimalware as I normally do from the link provided by my vendor and install as normal ?

Then switch to Beta once the product is installed then update ??

I've never used Beta so I'm not sure how to switch to it.

Or, is the Beta a specific download different than the standard product ??

I just want to get the reinstall procedure correct, any guidance would be appreciated.

Mark Armstrong

Hello Mark,

you can get the Beta via our internal updater. Please open our software and go to the section Settings subsection Updates. Change the Update-Feed from Stable to Beta and press Yes in the confirmation popup. Then run a online update in our software. Is the update done take a look if the crash occurs again.

• Upvote 1

The info under Mark's 'picture' says he's using W7 x64, so why does a2hooks32.dll - rather than a2hooks64.dll - get involved?   Different machine, or does this mean that Word and Outlook are running in 32-bit mode?    

I would believe that's because the DLL gets injected into the running process, and you need to inject 32-bit code into a 32-bit process.