Raynor

Explorer Freezes on New Folder Creation & Rename - Ramsomware Protection to blame ?

When I create a new folder in the Windows Explorer via right-click and then immediately enter a name

for the folder before hitting enter (and thus creating the folder), Explorer sometimes freezes directly after hitting enter.

Then I am left with two options:

a) Trying to close the frozen Explorer window. This makes Explorer crash and the whole shell & task bar etc. is restarted.

Result: The folder is created, but NOT renamed (i.e. it is still called "New Folder")

b) Just waiting for a minute (or so). Then the folder is created AND renamed successfully.

When I uninstall Emsisoft Internet Security, the problem goes away. Folders can be created and renamed without any Explorer freezes whatsoever.

My gut feeling tells me that the ransomware protection part of the behavior blocker might prevent the folder from being renamed.

In other words, the ransomware protection might be a bit too overzealous here...

Is my gut feeling pointing me in the right direction?

I am using Win 10 x64 v1607 and  EIS 12.01.xxxx (latest version)

Thanks,

Raynor

The ransomware protection wouldn't be triggered by explorer.exe, since it is digitally signed by Microsoft.

Lets get a log from FRST, and see if it shows the cause of the issue. Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) from one of the following links, and save it to your Desktop (please note that some web browsers will automatically save all downloads in your Downloads folder, so in those cases please move the download to your desktop):

For 32-bit (x86) editions of Windows:

For 64-bit (x64) editions of Windows:Note: You need to run the version compatible with your computer. If you are not sure which version applies to your computer, then download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your computer, and that will be the right version.
  • Run the FRST download that works on your computer (for Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 please right-click on the file and select Run as administrator).
  • When the tool opens click Yes for the disclaimer in order to continue using FRST.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • When the scan is done, it will save a log as a Text Document named FRST in the same place the tool was run from (if you had saved FRST on your desktop, then the FRST log will be saved there).
  • Please attach the FRST log file to a reply using the More Reply Options button to the lower-right of where you type in your reply to access the attachment controls.
  • The first time the FRST tool is run it saves another log (a Text Document named Addition - also located in the same place as the FRST tool was run from). Please also attach that log file along with the FRST log file to your reply.

I'm confirming this issue.

I couldn't rename/delete files but when disable all EIS guard it was executable.

it happened one time for me and after restart machine for "Advance debug logging" it's gone and I couldn't reproduce it.

This happened to both of you on Windows 10? Have either of you noticed it on other versions of Windows?

Does the latest beta version have any effect on the issue? Here's how to install the beta to try it:

• Open Emsisoft Internet Security.
  • Click on Settings in the menu at the top.
  • Click on Updates in the menu at the top.
  • On the left, under Update Settings, click on the box to the right of Update feed and select Beta from the list.
  • Click on the Update now button on the right side.

Does the latest beta version have any effect on the issue? Here's how to install the beta to try it:

I experienced the issue just one time in final stable version, so I can't answer to this question. but I try to find when this issue appeared.

After more digging around for possible causes, it turns out that the Windows 10 Indexing Service is the culprit.

I found it odd that the freezing only occurred on the HDD containing my data (which was added to the indexed locations),

and not on my system HDD. So I removed my data HDD from the Windows Search index and the freezing is gone.

I also found a thread on www.tenforums.com yesterday that pointed me towards the indexing service:

http://www.tenforums.com/general-support/65418-sometimes-file-explorer-freezes-when-renaming-folder.html

Quote: " I think this is related to Windows Search as I have seen this issue complained of on other sites but so far the only

workaround is to turn off Search. [...]"

I'm not sure why the problem also seemed to have disappeared after uninstalling Emsisoft Internet Security, but maybe

that just happened by chance, possibly the Indexing Service was not running/performing any indexing at that time,

or some similar combination of circumstances.

Anyway, please let me sincerely apologize for raising this false alarm. :o

Thanks and all the best,

Raynor

Not a problem. If you continue to notice the issue then try adding the Windows 10 Indexing Service to the exclusions in EIS, restart the computer, and see if that has any effect on it. I think the following file is the one you will need to add:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\SearchIndexer.exe

Thanks for that tip, but adding SearchIndexer.exe to the exclusions does not help.

I am now 99.5% sure that it is not the fault of EIS, but that the Indexing Service in the

Win 10 Anniversary Update is a bit buggy. The other forum threads that I found on that specific

topic across the net all tend to point in that direction...

... the Indexing Service in the Win 10 Anniversary Update is a bit buggy. The other forum threads that I found on that specific topic across the net all tend to point in that direction...

Well, it wouldn't be the first time there's been a bug in a Microsoft product. ;)