stapp

CLOSED EAM file guard off after autoupdate to 6956

EAM just autoupdated to EAM 6956 on Windows 7.

After doing the requested app restart file guard is off I will turn it on manually.

Noticed a brief glimpse of a countdown by numbers on slide ...should I have?

Logs attached.

a2service_20161124182439(2612).zip

Hi Stapp,

Some questions:

- Were you able to turn on the protection manually? 

- Are you able to reproduce it? (this because debugs logs are not fully complete 100% and we should need a dump of the processes)

Let me know and if you can reproduce, please provide dump! :)

Thanks,

Orlando

Just happened again after restart (not cold boot)

Process Explorer full dump for start and guard.

Would not let me do service, so did that via taskmanager.

Sent a2guard.zip containing 3 dumps to support*at*emsisoft saying ''from stapp''

Hi,

Thanks for reporting and logging this. As I am not able to reproduce, I filled a report to our tracker. Our devs will look at it soon and they will tell us more.

Thanks,

Orlando

Hi again,

Could you please open regedit and go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\epp then right click on "epp" key and then click on "Export". Please attach here your files exported.

Thank you!

Orlando

I do not have EAM installed on Win 7 at the moment because of the user profile issue so I cannot do this.

Just autoupdated to 6970 on Windows 10 and the file guard was turned off after an application restart. I didn't do the dump files (I did them for Win 7 if you remember) so instead I exported that epp reg key in case it is of any interest to you.

I turned file guard on manually.

epp.zip

Hi Stapp, 

Thank you, I added it to our tracker. For next time: please provide us always debug and dump of application.

Thanks,

Orlando

So you want reg exports, debug logs, full dumps of all processes.

If I have have time, I will tidy, polish and paint the registry and program files area while I am doing all those things.

So you want reg exports, debug logs, full dumps of all processes.

Yes, I am very demanding young boy!  :)

A part from jokes, as each bug and fail is different from others, we "should" need always "all" logs. This because each module or component of the program is affected in different way and at first is difficult to say if we need only debug, only dump or whatever. Sometimes is good for us to have all logs ready so we can connect dots and look how different modules are working toghether (if we could not reproduce the problem). 

To make you an example:

If File Guard is failing to start a dump of application is what we need, if the program fails in starting the module of File Guard, then the problem could be both on module and program side and we need dump and debugs, to see how the program call the module and why the module respond/fail. This time we require more logging to exclude to look deeper in some areas, so we can circumscribe the region of the problem and fix it.

I am preparing more and clear documentation for you testers to make the things easier and faster for both you and us! 

Orlando

Orlando I don't personally need any explanations of why logs are needed.

I have provided logs, screenshots .txts, dumps etc. for a long, long time now.

I would have had this all done on Win 7 already (I have already provided full process dumps and debug logs for this issue) but EAM messed with my user profile and had to be removed. You know that.

Sometimes asking nicely is better than being too demanding (old ladies prefer nicely)

Just happened to me again after upgrading to 12.1.0.6970.

I also couldn't make any on-demand scan during that Windows session.

EAM just opened scan window and did nothing.

After reboot, it is working ok.

Hi guys,

Could you please tell me if  "Protect the computer even if no user is logged on" checkbox in Protection > File Guard section is checked? We discovered a small issue here and fixed it, it will be released into next beta and we think this is the same cause here.

Thanks,
Orlando

I do not have this ticked Orlando

"Protect the computer even if no user is logged on"

I sent Frank logs for it yesterday and he told me they had found out why it happened (what you said)

Have you put that screenshot there for me Orlando?

You may have missed at the top of my post above where I said that I do not have that option ticked.

Sorry Stapp, I did understand another thing in your words, my bad. By the way, then it is same issue. The fix will be released soon.

Thanks,
Orlando

Thanks Siketa.

The issue was indeed related to that setting, has been fixed already and available in the next beta release