stapp

CLOSED Malware scan using 6956

EAM on Win 7.

After autoupdating to a new build I always do a malware scan.

It took 15 minutes :o

I think I will do a reboot and try again.

Rebooted and doing another malware scan.... it's taking ages :(

Seems to be really struggling in c\windows

FWIW, manual malware scan immediately after auto update to 6956 took 39 seconds (Win10 Pro x64 installed on a SSD) -- minus Documents folder contents, which I've hard-linked to a separate HDD.

Also, the problem of non-functioning Stop and Pause buttons during scan, which I reported in another thread a few days ago, has gone away in this build.

I need some help here with the malware scan on Win 7 using EAM.

I have tried rebooting etc but nothing helps, It just crawls through C\Windows\Installer for instance.

It goes fast through the first 4 stages and then on stage 5 it seems like it's using a different method.

Will debug logs show anything?

If not what can I send you to help you understand what I am experiencing on Win 7 using 6956?

Hi Guys,

Thank you for your report. It seems I can confirm the issue. 

Could you please provide us scan engine debug logs? These will help us on finding better the problem. You can create them by creating a DWORD value "EngineDebugOutput" in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Emsisoft\ and setting it 1. Then restart your computer to save settings, logs are saved in |your EAM/EIS folder| (NOT the normal debug folder) as "ScanEngineDebug.log". After the restart, try to reproduce the problem.

NOTE: once you reproduced the problem do NOT restart your computer or service as logs will be replaced with new ones. It is enough you send us ScanEngineDebug.log after reproducing the problem.

Thank you,

Orlando

Is this right?

Because there are no logs in EAM folder. I did a reboot after setting registry.

I did the 32 bit dword value not the 64bit one.

post-2815-0-21019100-1480176689_thumb.png
Download Image

Hi Stapp,

Please be sure to insert that value here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Emsisoft\ in "Emsisoft" key (please make a key called "Emsisoft" as there is not). You are created it in "Emsi Software Gmbh" :) Let me know if there is anything!

Thank you!

Orlando

I see you have locked my feedback reports in the EEK beta area.

What is the point of having that section if you don't allow posting of info into it?

Sometimes products behave differently, so because I went to the trouble of getting ScanEngineDebug logs for you then perhaps you would be good enough to accept them

Here is the ScanEnginDebug log for EEK. It looks different to the EAM one but still has the same problem.

ScanEngineDebug (2).log

Hi Stapp,

Thank you for logs, I added them to our tracker!

What is the point of having that section if you don't allow posting of info into it?

As I mentioned in the other thread, engine used by Emsisoft product is the same, so the problem is reflected in both products. I closed there to not split this issue (as it is one) in two different threads to follow. Once the problem will be fixed in Anti-Malware will be fixed automatically in the Emergency Kit too.

Orlando

Slow EAM malware scan issue is now fixed for me on Win 7 and scan times have returned to normal.

Thanks devs :)

I'm following this topic, so just got emailed to say there were two updates to it.  Not only did the emails NOT contain the new texts, neither of the links that they contained instead worked.  In each case I ended up on a website page that said, eg for this link:

http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/25809-malware-scan-using-6956/?do=findComment&comment=164045

an error message:

Sorry, there is a problem

We could not locate the item you are trying to view.

Error code: 2S136/C

(and I'm sure that this isn't the best place to report a forum problem, but I don't know where I should have done that)

Edited by JeremyNicoll
added parenthetical last comment