redvet

Advice Needed

I have read good reports of Emisoft IS and am considering this as a change option when my Bitdefender IS subscription expires in a few days.

I have heard that Emisoft only works with Internet Explorer browser, is this correct ?

Also, Bitdefender has Safe Pay for banking which I use extensively. Emisoft IS does not appear to have this but I am told that Safe Pay and things like Safe Zone are just cosmetic dressings to some security suites. Is this correct ?

Any advice and recommendations much appreciated. Thanks. :)

I have heard that Emisoft only works with Internet Explorer browser, is this correct ?

Our Surf Protection works with any browser (or any other program that tries to resolve the addresses of domain names). That being said, it doesn't work with programs running in an AppContainer, and I would believe that Microsoft Edge uses AppContainer by default, so it may not work with Edge with the default settings.

Also, Bitdefender has Safe Pay for banking which I use extensively. Emisoft IS does not appear to have this but I am told that Safe Pay and things like Safe Zone are just cosmetic dressings to some security suites. Is this correct ?

EIS doesn't include any extra banking related features. Our older standalone firewall product (Online Armor) had such features, but they were mostly useless these days as the fundamental concepts behind them no longer apply to the way banks operate their websites.

That being said, if there is anything on your computer that might record information related to your online banking, then the Behavior Blocker would notify you about potentially malicious behavior. Of course, that's assuming that the File Guard didn't already delete it. ;)

Thanks for your response and apologies for late reply.

Are you able to say if  other products which have extra banking related features are any more effective because of the extra feature or is such a feature mainly 'cosmetic'.?

1 hour ago, redvet said:

Are you able to say if  other products which have extra banking related features are any more effective because of the extra feature or is such a feature mainly 'cosmetic'.?

Features like that are often as much a gimmick as they are anything else. We used to offer an advanced firewall called Online Armor, which had such features, however the way bank websites work these days those features aren't effective and ended up being mostly useless.

55 minutes ago, GT500 said:

Features like that are often as much a gimmick as they are anything else. We used to offer an advanced firewall called Online Armor, which had such features, however the way bank websites work these days those features aren't effective and ended up being mostly useless.

Thanks again Arthur

If I use EIS would  I need to add another programme such as Antimalware.

Whether it is necessary or not is debatable, however keep in mind that while Emsisoft Anti-Malware can often be used alongside other anti-virus software, it isn't intended to be used that way and there is always the potential to have problems (usually system freezing and/or performance issues) when doing so.

1 hour ago, GT500 said:

Whether it is necessary or not is debatable, however keep in mind that while Emsisoft Anti-Malware can often be used alongside other anti-virus software, it isn't intended to be used that way and there is always the potential to have problems (usually system freezing and/or performance issues) when doing so.

Thanks Point Taken.

• Upvote 1

I've had quite a few anti-virus/firewall products in the past and don't have any problems changing software if it stops meeting my needs

Norton, Commodo Firewall, AVG, ZoneAlarm just a few. All fell foul of how I wanted MY computer to run so were removed and the search for better software that I wanted to control, but even beginners can use EIS as it seems to be set-up to provide the best protection but also allow quite a lot of control over its features once you've used it

I've been using Emisisoft Security Suite for about 3 years now, its installed on 3 computers so I pay for a 3 PC subscription. Previously I used Online Armor with no issues and any technical issues were resolved very quickly including private betas to help  resolve issues that were being worked on before being released publicly. A lot of other companies just acknowledge the issue and update it as and when they feel its in their interests and not their paying customers. Maybe 5 years or more I've been using their products so they must be doing something right

The very latest update of EIS now included an extra layer of protection that blocks even more if it looks suspicious, but more importantly YOU control the software to either block or allow it. Even then, you can allow something to run once  but block it again if its still acting suspicious. It may be genuine, but it may not. A lot of other software just blocks and deletes suspicious files without even bothering to inform you and leave you wondering why something not working right

You are always informed whats happening and usually why, plus can see very quickly and easily whats being flagged up as suspicious or if something else is trying to be installed in the background

I always recommend trying Emsisoft Emergency Kit as its helped a lot of people in the past with issues, plus its 100% portable and FREE

No, I don't work for Emsisoft, but I will recommend if something is worth trying and WILL be honest if its not

Unlike other commercial software that almost takes over your computer and is a royal pain to remove 100% (Mcafee) Emsisoft is very easy to remove totally if you are not happy. I have one friend who was very happy with how it runs after UI suggested he tried as its free trial so no outlay and he is another one who will just remove software if its not good enough and not just put up with it

Give it a try, you have nothing to lose as you get a free trial period where everything works 100% and at the end of it see if you are happy

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, steptoe said:

I've had quite a few anti-virus/firewall products in the past and don't have any problems changing software if it stops meeting my needs

Norton, Commodo Firewall, AVG, ZoneAlarm just a few. All fell foul of how I wanted MY computer to run so were removed and the search for better software that I wanted to control, but even beginners can use EIS as it seems to be set-up to provide the best protection but also allow quite a lot of control over its features once you've used it

I've been using Emisisoft Security Suite for about 3 years now, its installed on 3 computers so I pay for a 3 PC subscription. Previously I used Online Armor with no issues and any technical issues were resolved very quickly including private betas to help  resolve issues that were being worked on before being released publicly. A lot of other companies just acknowledge the issue and update it as and when they feel its in their interests and not their paying customers. Maybe 5 years or more I've been using their products so they must be doing something right

The very latest update of EIS now included an extra layer of protection that blocks even more if it looks suspicious, but more importantly YOU control the software to either block or allow it. Even then, you can allow something to run once  but block it again if its still acting suspicious. It may be genuine, but it may not. A lot of other software just blocks and deletes suspicious files without even bothering to inform you and leave you wondering why something not working right

You are always informed whats happening and usually why, plus can see very quickly and easily whats being flagged up as suspicious or if something else is trying to be installed in the background

I always recommend trying Emsisoft Emergency Kit as its helped a lot of people in the past with issues, plus its 100% portable and FREE

No, I don't work for Emsisoft, but I will recommend if something is worth trying and WILL be honest if its not

Unlike other commercial software that almost takes over your computer and is a royal pain to remove 100% (Mcafee) Emsisoft is very easy to remove totally if you are not happy. I have one friend who was very happy with how it runs after UI suggested he tried as its free trial so no outlay and he is another one who will just remove software if its not good enough and not just put up with it

Give it a try, you have nothing to lose as you get a free trial period where everything works 100% and at the end of it see if you are happy

Your detailed comments much appreciated, thanks.

If I could get my mind to accept that banking without a 'Safe Zone' is safe I would have no hesitation about installing Emisoft.  Maybe its possible to use a serperate safe browser with Emisoft - or am I just being :wacko::wacko:

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, redvet said:

If I could get my mind to accept that banking without a 'Safe Zone' is safe I would have no hesitation about installing Emisoft.  Maybe its possible to use a serperate safe browser with Emisoft - or am I just being

It depends on what you consider a "safe zone". The Behavior Blocker in our products doesn't leave a lot of room for malware to sneak in and steal banking-related data. As long as your router remains secure, and you make sure your web browser gets updated, then there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, GT500 said:

It depends on what you consider a "safe zone". The Behavior Blocker in our products doesn't leave a lot of room for malware to sneak in and steal banking-related data. As long as your router remains secure, and you make sure your web browser gets updated, then there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

thanks Arthur

I have downloaded a trial copy today. Am using Opera Browser exclusively for my Bank Websites.

17 minutes ago, redvet said:

Am using Opera Browser exclusively for my Bank Websites.

Opera 12, or Opera 43? If it's the latter, then you may want the uBlock Origin extension (if you don't already have it) to add some extra protection. ;)

If you are using Opera 12, then you may want to check out Vivaldi, which is made by a new company started by co-founder and former CEO of Opera Software Jon von Tetzchner as a replacement for Opera 12. You can use the uBlock Origin extension from the Chrome extensions store in Vivaldi, as well as most other extensions available on the official Chrome extensions store.

OK got Vivaldi and the extension installed.  I like the look of Vivaldi, wish I could use it for my general browsing but think its better to use only for online banking .

It should be safe to use Vivaldi for everyday browsing and for online banking. Just be mindful of the extensions you install, and if you don't trust some of them then make sure they can't run in private tabs/windows, and then just open a private window to do your banking in. ;)

32 minutes ago, GT500 said:

It should be safe to use Vivaldi for everyday browsing and for online banking. Just be mindful of the extensions you install, and if you don't trust some of them then make sure they can't run in private tabs/windows, and then just open a private window to do your banking in. ;)

Only have UBlock Origin extension installed as you recommended.

May I ask what you mean by opening a private window to do banking.  I routinely open the bank website from a bookmark.

Here's how to open a Private Window in Vivaldi (I don't think it does individual "Private Tabs" like Opera 12 did). Just click on the little Vivaldi "V" icon in the upper-left of the Vivaldi window, and follow the arrows in the screenshot below (note that the Vivaldi button in the screenshot is gray because I have an early preview version of Vivaldi 1.7 installed):

Vivaldi_Private_Window.png

When in a Private Window, Vivaldi won't save browser history, cookies, cache files, etc. It also won't use any already-existing cookies for tabs that are open in a Private Window, and extensions are automatically restricted to prevent them from running in Private Windows.

If you want to change the settings for extensions, then click on the Vivaldi button, go to the Tools menu, and then select Extensions from the menu (you can also hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys on your keyboard, and then tap E to quickly open it). Below every extension is an option that says Allow in incognito (Google Chrome's way of referring to what Vivaldi calls a "Private Window"). If you want uBlock Origin's protection while using a Private Window, then simply enable that option.