jackiemarie

EAM scan taking 4 times longer than previously

The daily EAM scan used to take 6-7 minutes and is now requiring 24-26 minutes these past few days.  Text log is attached.  Is there a problem?

There's nothing in quarantine or file guard.  If interested, SP and BB logs are attached.

Thanks for your assistance.

EAM 12.0.1.6859

Windows 7 SP1  x64

MBAM Pro

MBAM Anti Exploit Prem

Scan_161129-085246.txt

BB_161129-090200.txt

SP_161129-090216.txt

We have a known issue on Windows 7 where the scan times for the Malware Scan can be significantly longer than normal. We are currently investigating what is causing this. ;)

Good to know. I've been experience this issue also. But didn't know it was a Window 7 issue since I haven't run a scan lately
on my Window 10 laptop.

We're fairly certain it's only 64-bit Windows 7 that is effected. If you run the same scan on Windows 10, then it should run much faster than on Windows 7.

We have a known issue on Windows 7 where the scan times for the Malware Scan can be significantly longer than normal. We are currently investigating what is causing this. ;)

Just now, EAM is still running after 25 minutes and using 40-60% of memory.  It takes 30-45 seconds to open a window while EAM is scanning.

Something is amiss in paradise.

Thanks.

Have exactly the same issue since the previous update that was supposed to increase the scan speed.

It might affect both Win 7 and Win 10 64 bit as I am running Win 10 64 bit and the scan is now taking more than 25 minutes compared to less than 10 minutes previously.

Just now, EAM is still running after 25 minutes and using 40-60% of memory.  It takes 30-45 seconds to open a window while EAM is scanning.

Something is amiss in paradise.

Actually, that's normal. EAM uses all available processor cores in order to maximize scan performance, and reduce the length of time it takes to scan. This behavior can be configured bu opening EAM, clicking on Scan, and then clicking on the Performance settings button in the lower-right. We generally only recommend reducing the number of threads and/or the scan thread priority, as they have the most impact on scan performance in general.

It might affect both Win 7 and Win 10 64 bit as I am running Win 10 64 bit and the scan is now taking more than 25 minutes compared to less than 10 minutes previously.

I expect it is more than likely caused by the same thing on both editions of Windows. We are able to reproduce the issue on Windows 7 x64, so we should be able to fully debug this internally. ;)

Is there a timetable for this fix?
I haven't scan my Win 10 x64 laptop lately so & I'm only experiencing this issue on my Windows 7 x64 desktop.

Thanks.

We don't generally have ETA's for fixes, however the last I heard it sounds like our developers have a reasonable idea of what is causing this and are working on resolving it. Hopefully it won't take them too much longer. ;)

Actually, that's normal. EAM uses all available processor cores in order to maximize scan performance, and reduce the length of time it takes to scan. This behavior can be configured bu opening EAM, clicking on Scan, and then clicking on the Performance settings button in the lower-right. We generally only recommend reducing the number of threads and/or the scan thread priority, as they have the most impact on scan performance in general.

I expect it is more than likely caused by the same thing on both editions of Windows. We are able to reproduce the issue on Windows 7 x64, so we should be able to fully debug this internally. ;)

I prefer not to alter the Performance settings.

I'd mentioned the extra time needed to open a window (while EAM is scanning) only because that is another change.  Previous to the malware scan requiring more than 25 minutes to complete, opening another window took only 15 seconds or so.

In the past 4 days, there's another event that never happened before.  EAM is not loading when I turn the laptop on (It's turned off overnight).  Windows says my virus protection is not turned on and there's no EAM icon in the task bar. Restarting causes it to load.  

You're still working on this, right?

When I was doing some testing (after I had replied to your post), I noticed some applications taking abnormal amounts of time to respond, and very low CPU usage. We think they're both symptoms of the same problem, and we hope we will be able to resolve these issues soon.

The issue with the long scan time on Win 7 is fixed for me now after the Emsisoft devs released an update.

You should have it by now if you have done an update since yesterday.

20 hours ago, gugarci said:

Just ran a scan on my Windows 7 Pro x64 & it's definitely fixed!

Awesome. Thanks for letting us know. ;)

Somehow or other, my reply got posted as a new topic "Emsisoft not loading on some boots".

I posted it here earlier, but now it's in the other post.

Edited by jackiemarie

On 12/15/2016 at 0:18 PM, jackiemarie said:

Somehow or other, my reply got posted as a new topic "Emsisoft not loading on some boots".

Yes, that's one of the moderation features of the forums. We can take a post, or a collection of posts, and split them into a new topic. Sometimes we do that if there is more than one issue reported in a single topic, just to split up the different discussions, and make things easier for everyone to follow. ;)

4 hours ago, GT500 said:

Yes, that's one of the moderation features of the forums. We can take a post, or a collection of posts, and split them into a new topic. Sometimes we do that if there is more than one issue reported in a single topic, just to split up the different discussions, and make things easier for everyone to follow. ;)

That's good news....my only concern was that I had done something wrong...my technical understanding is very very basic.

8 hours ago, jackiemarie said:

my only concern was that I had done something wrong

That's understandable. We don't use the moderation features that often (probably because posting on our forums is relatively light), so most people probably don't realize that we can do stuff like that.