GVTS

EAM preventing W7 from booting

A machine that I installed EAM on two months ago came back to me today because it’s not booting properly.

Booted to Safe Mode and turned off the EAM service. The machine booted properly. Uninstalled EAM. Machine ran fine. Reinstalled EAM, restarted and it’s not booting properly. Gets stuck at black screen with white arrow. Boots with all services enabled except EAM.

Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit

Hello GVTS!

I believe I'm already helping you in our ticket system, correct? If not, let me know. Otherwise, when we get it resolved, I'll post back here so others can see the fix. :)

To fix this, we ended up doing a clean reinstall.

Instructions:

Note: Please download FRESH software from the links provided, even if you have them downloaded already. We update them regularly. Also, please make sure you have your license key (similar to ABC-DEF-GHI-123) recorded before beginning. If you cannot find it, please contact us before beginning.

1. Uninstall your existing Emsisoft product using the Control panel's "Uninstall a Program" tool, like you would any other software.

2. We provide a special Emsisoft Clean utility, which will search for any Emsisoft Anti-Malware and Internet Security remnants on your system and remove them for you. Please note that this powerful tool is not intended to be a replacement for the default uninstaller shipped with our products (the one you used from the Control Panel). So only use it after you tried the shipped uninstaller.

You can download Emsisoft Clean here: https://dl.emsisoft.com/Emsiclean.zip

After you finish downloading, start the program. Read the disclaimer and click "Yes" if you agree. The program will scan your system for any remnants and display a list of everything it finds. It usually is safe to just remove everything. Emsisoft Clean can't know if the folder still contains any data that you have put there, which is why the folders aren't checked by default. Emsisoft Clean is capable of removing the folders as well, but before you enable the check box in front of any folder entries, make sure you check them for files you want to keep.

Once you finish your selection, click the "Remove selected objects" button. The tool will eventually ask you to reboot. Save all your open work and perform the reboot as requested.
  3. Wait a few minutes for your machine to completely finish rebooting, then reboot your computer again (important!)

4. Install a fresh copy of the same Emsisoft product you had installed. Only install one of them! At their core, they are identical. EIS is different from EAM in that EIS has an efficient firewall added. Only the one for which your key is good should be installed.

Here are the download links:

Emsisoft Anti-Malware: http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/antimalware/download/

-or-

Emsisoft Internet Security: http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/internetsecurity/download/

If you run into further trouble, or for some reason this doesn't work, or you've already tried it, please let me know. Also, any detailed information you can give me about what you've already tried might be helpful.

Edited by GT500
Updated link for Emsiclean. There are now two versions (32-bit and 64-bit) bundled in a ZIP archive. Run EmsiClean64, and if you see an error message then run EmsiClean32.

Hey @havredave,

thanks for your input. Tried what you suggested and I still have the same problem. Tried installing another Antivirus product (if you want details PM), and the PC would boot in 9 seconds with no problem. Have left the client with this at the moment but I would like to see this being resolved before the trial period of the other AV is over so I can reinstall EAM again on his machine.

Thanks in advance