cowboyteddy

Another PCLock victim

Ted,

PCLock encrypted files can no longer be decrypted. The malware developers have fixed the bug we were exploiting that allowed for decryption.

I did notice few issues in your logs that should be addressed.

Copy the below code to Notepad; Save As fixlist.txt to your Desktop.

ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers: [0PerformanceMonitor] -> {3B5B973C-92A4-4855-9D3F-0F3D23332208} =>  No File
2016-11-20 19:13 - 2016-11-20 19:13 - 0099384 _____ () C:\Users\Ted\AppData\Roaming\inst.exe
2016-11-29 23:12 - 2016-11-29 23:12 - 0710479 _____ () C:\Users\Ted\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Crypto.zip
AlternateDataStreams: C:\Users\Ted\Desktop\adp_lost_check.jpeg:3or4kl4x13tuuug3Byamue2s4b [87]
AlternateDataStreams: C:\Users\Ted\Desktop\adp_lost_check.jpeg:{4c8cc155-6c1e-11d1-8e41-00c04fb9386d} [0]
Close Notepad.

NOTE: It's important that both files, FRST64 and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on that particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system

Run FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.

If the tool needed a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.

The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt). Attach it to your reply.

Note: If the tool warns you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

Thread Closed

Reason: Lack of Response

PM either Kevin, Elise, or Arthur to have this thread reopened.

All posters requesting Malware Removal assistance are required to follow all procedures in the thread titled START HERE if you don't we are just going to send you back to this thread.

Ted,

Your original thread was locked. I merged your two support threads and unlocked it.

Let's take a fresh look.

Run fresh scans with Emsisoft Emergency Kit (EEK) and FRST, attach the new EEK and FRST scans to your reply.

Be sure to let me know how things are running.

I just realized you are using TrueCrypt,  TrueCrypt is no longer in development, and is obsolete.  In fact, is contains vulnerabilities that can be exploited that can lead to data loss.  You should seriously consider replacing it.

Your logs look fine.

Hi Kevin,

thank you very much for analyzing my logs!  I have a few questions:

1) I downloaded the PCLock decryptor and it says my PC doesn't appear to be infected, and exited the program.  Is this due to the fact that malware has been removed?  Or is it because my PC was encrypted by a different kind of malware?

2) How do I know for sure which malware encrypted my files?

3) do you have a recommendation for TrueCrypt replacement?

Thank you very much!

-ted

The PCLock decryption tool we have available on our site only works on older PCLock variants.  If you have a newer variant it will not work.  Newer variants are not decryptable using third-party tools.

It could be Crysis.  Try the RakhniDecryptor from Kaspersky. http://support.kaspersky.com/us/10556#block1

VeraCrypt is built from the TrueCrypt source, with all vulnerabilities fixed.

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for the link to RakhniDecryptor.  At first glance, it doesn't seem to be for me since my encrypted files don't have their extensions changed.  I will take a closer look before running it.

Also thank you for the suggestion on VeraCrypt.  I have downloaded and copy my files from TrueCrypt to VeraCrypt now.

I have a general question for you.  I use an external USB hard drive to back up my files.  But it seems even backing file to external drive is vulnerable to malware/ransomware.  What would you suggest as a better back up solution?  If I use Google drive and sync important files to the cloud, can they be affected by malware?  In addition, if I mount a VeraCrypt volume (with a drive letter, accessible via file explorer), is it also susceptible to malware infection ?  

Thank you again for your kind help!

-Ted

Any volume that is mounted, at the time of the attack, is susceptible to encryption.  The best defense against ransomware is data backup.  You should have 3 backup copies of your data, 1 copy local (USB, NAS), 1 copy offsite (Cloud), and 1 copy on write-once media (CD, DVD).