Activating EAM through Proxy Server

agubaira

Hi,

I installed EAM in several workstations that connect to the internet via transparent Proxy Server, however only those users without restrictions were able to activate their licenses. I tried whitelisting the following hosts but it didn´t work out:

update.emsisoft.com
dl
.emsisoft.com
cdn
.emsisoft.com

Is there some other host or subdomain that needs to be included in the whitelist in order to activate the licenses ?

Thank you !

I installed EAM in several workstations that connect to the internet via transparent Proxy Server, however only those users without restrictions were able to activate their licenses. ...

What kind of restricted permissions (as in Group Policy and file/folder permissions, restrictions in the proxy configuration, or permissions in EAM)? Was the %TEMP% folder accessible to both the SYSTEM and Administrators accounts?

Assuming the restrictions were in the proxy, then I recommend (as Christian said) to make sure that users can access all subdomains of "emsisoft.com" on both ports 80 and 443. You can also run nslookup on the three subdomains to get their current IP addresses, and make sure that the users are not having trouble accessing those servers. Note that the IP's can change at any time, and can even be different based on region, so we don't recommend creating rules based on IP's.

As Christian said, a debugging proxy such as Fiddler can be a huge help in figuring our what addresses our software is trying to connect to so that they can be whitelisted. Note that unless you turn on the option in Fiddler to decrypt secure connections, then you will need to turn off the option in EAM to use SSL for server communication (in the Privacy settings). Keep in mind that if a proxy is required for Internet access, that you will need to configure Fiddler to connect to your proxy, and then configure EAM to use Fiddler as its proxy (should be 127.0.0.1:8888 assuming Fiddler is installed on the same computer that EAM is running on).

There are two downloads for Fiddler that require different versions of .NET, if you'd like to try it:

Fiddler for .NET 2.x

Fiddler for .NET 4.x

If you need clarification on anything, or are still having trouble, then please let us know. ;)