Quirky

Forum problems with Pale Moon browser

Has there been any recent changes to the forum? It seems I cannot post replies any more, unless I fake the browser's user agent string to pretend it's Firefox. Never had this issue with the Emsisoft forum before.

User agent sniffing, is really a bad practice.

Yes, the forum software changed last Friday.  I had to redefine my profile picture!  Since then I've reported a problem [*] with the emails that are sent out (if you turn that option on) when a thread you're interested in is updated.  These email no longer contain the text that someone added to a discussion so for every one of them you have to go back to the forum to find out what was added.  On the example I received on Friday, the links to the changed text did not work.

* - reported in a thread about something else because there seemed to be no obvious place to discuss this.  See:

The problem in the links sent out in (I now realise) the plain text portion of these emails is that they look like:

https://support.emsisoft.com/topic/25756-anti-theft-sms-control-issue/?do=findComment&comment=164241

and the embedded "&"  is wrong.  It should be written as %26 I think.  The link in the HTML version of the email does work.

7 minutes ago, Fabian Wosar said:

...due to PHP7 and HTTP/2. Not sure Pale Moon supports the later...

HTTP/2 is fully supported. Also, I wouldn't trust automated tests more than user experience ;)

It could well be the user agent sniffing that causes further unnecessary problems, instead of detecting browser features properly.

SeaMonkey browser seems slower to open forum posts etc since the forum change.

Just a couple of seconds... but it's there.

Can you please allow us to change this option?

comments_follow.PNG
Download Image

I'm suddenly getting tons of mails about threads I have followed. On all these threads I have explicitly chosen not to get mails but only notifications in the forum. But with the forum-update this changed...

I know it does not fit the topic of this thread but let's just shamelessly convert this to the "new forum-update" feedback thread. :ph34r:

Is there an option anywhere to change the date-format? I really don't like the MM/DD/YY format. DD/MM/YY would be great.

One issue left: since the forum still uses browser user-agent sniffing, it fails with Pale Moon. There's an old issue with some websites: when they see the word 'Goanna' they believe they are dealing with a 'Goa' mobile device instead of a desktop browser and fail in various ways. In this forum, post replies cannot be added so it becomes unusable.

The forum works fine when using these user-agent strings for example:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:52.9) Gecko/20100101 PaleMoon/27.6.2
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:52.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.9 PaleMoon/27.6.2

The forum does not work properly with any of these native Pale Moon strings:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:3.4) Goanna/20171124 PaleMoon/27.6.2
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:3.4) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/20171124 PaleMoon/27.6.2
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:52.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.4 Firefox/52.9 PaleMoon/27.6.2

It'd be nice if you could forward this to the forum software guys, so that we won't have to use such overrides. Thanks.