Avira WebGuard and Emsisoft Anti-Malware (Free)

laopa

Hi,

I am currently having Internet speed problems with Avira AntiVir Premium WebGuard when it is Enabled.

The latest advice I have received on the Avira Premium forum is as stated here.

"Hi,

I see that you have a bunch of security related programs:

C:\Program Files\Emsisoft\Online Armor\OAcat.exe

C:\Program Files\Emsisoft Anti-Malware\a2service.exe

C:\Program Files\Panda USB Vaccine\USBVaccine.exe

C:\Program Files\IObit\Advanced SystemCare 3\AWC.exe

C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe

C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI\psi.exe

I recommend you to make sure that avwebgrd.exe is allowed in Online Armor's firewall, uninstall Emsisoft Anti-Malware, Advanced SystemCare 3 and SUPERAntiSpyware."

Can someone please advise if there are issues with Emsisoft Anti-Malware (Free) and Avira WebGuard that would cause Internet Speed to drop?

The Online Armor thing was fixed ages ago. Which leaves, in Avira's opinion as stated above, SUPERAntiSpyware (Free), ASC 3 Pro (which I will be dropping when the license expires) and you guys.

As SUPERAntiSpyware (Free) and Emsisoft Anti-Malware (Free) do not have any active guards Enabled, that I know of, I just can not see it as a problem to have them as extra highly reliable passive scanners. I personally believe it is all an Avira WebGuard issue.

Any clarification and advise will be greatly appreciated.

laopa

Hi laopa,

You posted into the EAM full Suite section despite you said that you disabled its real-time

Did I get that right?

From you signature as I can see it the security is way(!) overdone.

That is not completely clear which of those have real-time residents in place (or whether you disabled those properly)

Sure, Avira developers advised to "get it easy" regarding other security

and they are absolutely right!

You have to choose only one AV solution and leave others as on-demand only

Even the latter could not be trivial to maintain ... (depending on your experience)

You can add some layers of security to your browsers (different story)

So mainly if you want to full EAM Suite, which is full fledged AV + Behavioral Blocker + Surf Protection, then disable Avira's real-time & web protection or uninstall Avira

Otherwise switch to EAM Free edition

...Can someone please advise if there are issues with Emsisoft Anti-Malware (Free) and Avira WebGuard that would cause Internet Speed to drop?

No there should not be issues currently as awhole, but Avira's WebGuard could be a culprit irrespectively ... must be tested (in more clear conditions though compare to what you currently having)

The Online Armor thing was fixed ages ago.
Please be more specific... what "thing" :unsure: that could relate to the question you've raised was fixed?

My regards

p.s. In addition that is absolutely necessary to create mutual exclusion rules ... could be many in you case

Additionally, it is likely that the email correspondence you quote from is simply designed to troubleshoot the issue to see how the program functions after EAM Free et al are uninstalled. When troubleshooting a problem like this it is always good practice to start with the base product alone then add the others until the problem can be replicated.

Lynx is right - you have a plethora of security, much of which is probably surplus to your needs.

Just few more questions:

Your hardware is kinda strong but your security is indeed overdone as Lynx mentioned.

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)

Which version of Windows XP you are using?32bit or 64bit?

twin 500GB Raid Mirrored HDDs, 4GB RAM

Raid surely improves HDD speed but data will collapse when one hard disk down.Be careful with it.

Hi,

You posted into the EAM full Suite section despite you said that you disabled its real-time

Did I get that right?

Sorry I thought this was the right place. The Anti-Malware version I have was a replacement for A2 Free and while I had a full License which expired, the version I have now states that it is Version 5.0.0.68 and License Expired - Freeware Mode Active. So I am guessing that it is only in passive mode.

Otherwise switch to EAM Free edition

Isn't that what I now have. And I should post my EAM Free topics in which section? Toolkit?

That is not completely clear which of those have real-time residents in place (or whether you disabled those properly)

I am fairly sure that Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware are in disabled mode and on demand only. I can check by ....?

Please be more specific... what "thing" :unsure: that could relate to the question you've raised was fixed?

The "thing was the recent (maybe months ago) problem between Online Armor and Avira. I do not believe that is an issue any longer and have followed all the mutual exclusion rules advice given on this and the Avira forums to ensure that Online Armor and Avira are as happy together as is possible.

Thanks for getting back.

laopa

Hi Ray,

x64 XP is at the SP 2 since based on Server 2003

Correct me if I am wrong

So - that should be 32 bit … but sure that is always nice to be more precise

Then, I am not sure how both points including that hard drive issue can be related to the particular problem

In addition XP x64 is not mentioned as a supported system (see download page)

The developers may add to the latter

My regards

Sorry laopa,

I was replying to Ray & didn't notice your last message.

Since EAM is in Free mode (just re-check the Configuration > License Tab ) mainly the question should be addressed to Avira developers, taking in account that they already pointed correctly that you have too much security in place. That was pointed here too and confirmed by H_D as well.

Since you are asking question like: “...I can check by ....?“ I may tell you that the best option would be at least temporarily uninstall all additional security except OA and EAM free and then dedicate your effort finding the truth in Avira forum regarding their WebGuard

… otherwise the suggestions about proper disabling other security can take pages of discussions being clearly OffTopic here

My regards

Hi,

Lynx is right - you have a plethora of security, much of which is probably surplus to your needs.
you have too much security in place

Given that I have dumped ASC3 and have Emsisoft Anti-Malware, SUPERAntiSpyware, and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware all set as "on demand" back up scanners and not as Services, I do not see these as an issue. Do you?

Are you both saying that using SpywareBlaster, Spybot S&D, HostFiles and Sandboxie is a bad idea based on the proven fact that they individually or in combination adversely affect PC performance, Internet Speed or Overall system security?

Is that a theoretical concern or a concern based upon hard proven facts and data.

Very interested to hear back.

laopa

Hi laopa,

We don't have “the data” particularly from you PC and we cannot tell how thing are set up there

Yes, that is both - “ theoretical & practical” - if you overdone with the security – you may have conflicts, even after the uninstallation if the latter was improperly performed.

Even on-demand-only scanners can have drivers/devices installed/ some of them require DLLs to be running at startup … the list can go on.

I do use the immunization by S&D & I'm using SpywareBlaster. I do have Hosts File management.

But if I would have a problem with my Internet Speed I would for sure temporarily get rid of those ... all add-ons for browsers ... name other stuff to disable/uninstall :)

And there is no question I would not work under SandBoxie until the problem is solved

The point was – you need to solve the problem with specific Avira's component, that you are suspecting being a culprit - therefore it is the best way to get rid of any other installations that may interfere leaving just pure Firewall (no other additional services like HIPS; Program Guards...and so on...) and your AV

After the the problem was pinpointed according to discussions with Avira developers, and the issue solved – sure you can try to add (one-by-one) those additional layers / on-demand scanners / etc.

My regards

Hi,

As far as I know the avira webguard can slow down your navigation quite a bit. I have encounter this problem in the past and noticed that the webguard was slowing only browser that use 1 process per tab (chrome & ie) and was not slowing unique process browser (firefox). I have done a test about 10 month ago, opening 31 random tabs at once in chrome, with these result :

Without Avira Antivir Premium Webguard : 18 sec

With Avira Antivir Premium Webguard : 3 min 35 sec

The webguard was creating a kind of bottleneck. Note that these test have been done with the version 9 of avira and with and older chrome version too, version 4 I think.

Also, when using multiple security software, add all their executable to each one exeption list. This way, if superantispyware do a scan, avira will not scan every file at the same time, and will not prevent superantispyware to remove malware effectively. Hope it help.

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.

Note that these test have been done with the version 9 of avira and with and older chrome version too, version 4 I think.

I do not think Avira Premium Version 10 has made the situation with WebGuard any better.

laopa

Hi Guys,

Hi Philippe, welcome to the forum

and thanks for the info/research provided

I do not think Avira Premium Version 10 has made the situation with WebGuard any better.

Based on my experiences none of those "WebGuards" ; "Links checks"/scans and alike provided by contemporary security packages are doing any good.

I've tested many with a lot of security solutions.

Therefore, my advice is - just drop'em & forget about it.

Use Hosts file management and/or openDNS or alike/

and /or

Dr.Web - not real-time fast / Finjan - real time, but a bit slow

There are some community based layers like WOT ...and so on

Anyway ...hopeless... all of them are producing many FPs.

and definitely if you are using EAM , then the Host management by hpHosts would be quite sufficient. If you want - use that one only.

If you are not satisfied, you can import any other hosts file (can slow down browsing)

Cheers!