TotalTech

EIS Install on Domain Issues

Went to install EIS "Newest Download" on a Server 2008R2 Domain with Win7 PCs and Stopped on the 4th PC because of errors, and had to remove ESI from all the machines, on 3 of the PCs EIS hide the icons on the taskbar and wouldn't allow the domain to connect up properly, it was causing a secondary popup once you got logged into windows and would need you domain credentials entered again, and even after that domain access was spotty at best, on the fourth machine it was blocking the entire pc's ui basically,m so the gui would not load at all, I had to go into safemode to remove EIS, then i booted up perfectly with no issues, I removed EIS off all 4 machines and they are working properly, but once I try reinstalling EIS, I get issues and nothing stable, EIS worked fine on other clients domains, but this one not going well at all, not sure what could be causing the issue. Tried to work with partner support, way way slow ans no real help, hoping somebody on here might have some ideas or seen a similar issue before.

EIS isn't intended for a corporate network. We recommend using Emsisoft Anti-Malware on the workstations and servers, and then protecting the network with an enterprise-class firewall solution (such as hardware firewalls from Cisco, Palo Alto Networks, etc).

SO you are saying don't use your firewall, its no good, or just it doesn't work in domain networks? and either way doesn't that seriously limit the power of your security software, even bitdefender, avg, norton, mcafee all have business versions that include the firewall an intrical part of network security?

2 hours ago, TotalTech said:

SO you are saying don't use your firewall, its no good, or just it doesn't work in domain networks?

Our firewall is intended for home users, and not for corporate/business environments. It is also really intended for computers that are directly connected to the Internet. In a corporate network there should be a router with a firewall (or at least NAT) protecting the network in order to ensure that the domain can operate safely. If you configure EIS as you would for a computer that is connected directly to the Internet (a "public network") in order to get maximum protection, then it will block the domain-related communication, and prevent access to things like RDP which are essential in a corporate network. If you configure EIS for a corporate network (a "private network") then you'll lose some of the protection, and having it installed becomes questionable since it isn't providing all of the protection that you would expect.

Either way, EIS is more than likely to at least occasionally cause problems with client-server applications used in a corporate environment, since it was never intended to be used in such an environment.

2 hours ago, TotalTech said:

and either way doesn't that seriously limit the power of your security software, even bitdefender, avg, norton, mcafee all have business versions that include the firewall an intrical part of network security?

Considering that a software firewall on workstations in a corporate environment is usually "snake oil" (assuming the network is properly protected), and the fact that Emsisoft Anti-Malware is going to protect a workstation or server from any malware-related threats, I would be willing to say that there's very little that other vendors' software (firewall or no firewall) will protect workstations and servers from that ours won't. Obviously hacking-related threats are a major exception here, but if the network is properly protected (a solid hardware firewall, plus IPS and/or IDS for network monitoring on the assumption that threats could potentially penetrate the firewall or could originate from within the network) then those threats are going to be minimal to begin with, and a reasonable IT security staff are going to be able to respond to it quickly when the IPS/IDS gets triggered.