Sign in to follow this  
HAWKI

I have 1050 blocked but non-stealthed ports ?????

I have 1050 blocked but non-stealthed ports ?????

aka Only 5 of my ports are stealthed.

This is something new on my PC.

Windows Firewall stealths them all.

WTF ?

Netgear CM600 Cable Modem -- Ethernet connection at the moment.

It's set as a "private network" using the Windows default setting.

What kind of router/modem do you have?

Dunno why, but it appears to have been the Netgear CM600 cable modum that was the cause.

Reconnected with my Netgear 6300 Gateway and all my ports are stealthed again :-)

Weird.

I have had to go back to the Netgear CM600. The non-stealthed port problem has returned.

I do not get why the type of modem I am using effects the stealthing of ports. 5 of 1055 ports are stealthed. All are blocked.

Can someone please explain this anomoly to me and is there a fix for it??

On 12/24/2016 at 3:14 PM, HAWKI said:

I do not get why the type of modem I am using effects the stealthing of ports. 5 of 1055 ports are stealthed. All are blocked.

It's possible that one of them has NAT (Network Address Translation), while the other one doesn't. It's also possible that both of them have NAT, and that one of them is simply configured better than the other. NAT would prevent the port scan from reaching the computer, meaning the test would only be testing your NAT in your router/modem.

Assuming this is the "Netgear 6300" that you mentioned, then it's a router and should have NAT, whereas the CM600 appears to only be a modem and thus more than likely doesn't have NAT.

When connected to the Internet directly through your CM600, I recommend configuring your network as a Public network for better security. When using the 6300 (or "R6300"), it should be safe to configure the network as Private, since the router is covering for the ports that get opened in the firewall in EIS.