slopes

30 sec maleware scans

I'm getting the 30 second maleware scan.

Just reinstalled eis a couple of weeks ago due to updates temporarily shutting off the firewall and realtime protection.

Restarting eis seemed to correct the scan time.

Thanks

mscan.png
Download Image

When it happens, it it just that the scan time is not being correctly reported in the logs, or are the scans actually running that fast?

8 hours ago, GT500 said:

When it happens, it it just that the scan time is not being correctly reported in the logs, or are the scans actually running that fast?

The scans actually ran that fast. As I mentioned above a restart of eis resulted in a 5 min+ scan time.

I have run 3 malware scans since this and all were around 5 minutes.

Thanks GT

3 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

If, at the end of a scan, you click on 'View report', what does it say?

I didn't think to view the report and can't seem to reproduce this.

Scans have been around 5 minutes since this happened

Thanks Jeremy

You should be able to find old post-scan reports in:

C:\ProgramData\Emsisoft\Reports

it'd be interesting to see contents now (for 5 minute scans) and for quicker ones, as the report will show which options teh scan used and how many files it processed in whatever time it used.

36 minutes ago, JeremyNicoll said:

You should be able to find old post-scan reports in:

C:\ProgramData\Emsisoft\Reports

it'd be interesting to see contents now (for 5 minute scans) and for quicker ones, as the report will show which options teh scan used and how many files it processed in whatever time it used.

The 2 short plus one 5 minute scan does not show up in C:\ProgramData

.If I try to view details on these 3 scans through eis ui it shows those 3 reports as unavailable.

fv.png
Download Image

Are other reports still viewable?  I wonder whether the problem is that the log files are not in c:\ProgramData, or that they are there and corrupt, or that they are there and something's altered their permissions so that the EIS app can't open them.  If they are actually present in the folder (you can look with File Explorer) do they have .txt file extensions? 

Here, if I double-click a .txt file it opens in Notepad (though I also have several other file editors and rarely use Notepad) - do your report files open that way if you double-click them?   

15 minutes ago, JeremyNicoll said:

Are other reports still viewable?  I wonder whether the problem is that the log files are not in c:\ProgramData, or that they are there and corrupt, or that they are there and something's altered their permissions so that the EIS app can't open them.  If they are actually present in the folder (you can look with File Explorer) do they have .txt file extensions? 

Here, if I double-click a .txt file it opens in Notepad (though I also have several other file editors and rarely use Notepad) - do your report files open that way if you double-click them?   

All other reports in C:\ProgramData open fine into notepad.

I just realized I have reports that go back for months.A few weeks ago I uninstalled eis and used emsiclean(showed no leftovers) before reinstalling

Shouldn't it have deleted all of those old files?

Maybe GT500 can figure this out,I don't know whats going on.

Thanks for your input Jeremy, appreciate it.

11 hours ago, slopes said:

...A few weeks ago I uninstalled eis and used emsiclean(showed no leftovers) before reinstalling

Shouldn't it have deleted all of those old files?

Emsiclean doesn't currently remove anything from the C:\ProgramData folder, so all logs stored there should remain after using Emsiclean.

As for the short scan issue, did it seem to stop after we released our 12.2 update on Tuesday?

1 hour ago, GT500 said:

Emsiclean doesn't currently remove anything from the C:\ProgramData folder, so all logs stored there should remain after using Emsiclean.

As for the short scan issue, did it seem to stop after we released our 12.2 update on Tuesday?

All malware scans since the problem on Dec 30th have been between 41/2 and 61/2 minutes.

22 hours ago, slopes said:

All malware scans since the problem on Dec 30th have been between 41/2 and 61/2 minutes.

OK, that's good.

Without debug information, my best guess is that for some unknown reason the signatures were not being loaded/processed when the scan was starting, so while it was loading and checking files, it wasn't checking them against the database and thus the scans went abnormally fast. At least that's the explanation that makes the most sense, as it's already known that the scan can progress ridiculously fast (especially on high end computers) when the database isn't loaded.

2 hours ago, GT500 said:

OK, that's good.

Without debug information, my best guess is that for some unknown reason the signatures were not being loaded/processed when the scan was starting, so while it was loading and checking files, it wasn't checking them against the database and thus the scans went abnormally fast. At least that's the explanation that makes the most sense, as it's already known that the scan can progress ridiculously fast (especially on high end computers) when the database isn't loaded.

Yes,all seems to be working well GT500.

No high end computer, just run of the mill with a lot of hours on it,maybe time for a new one.

Thanks so much for your time